1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Totally shafted by car insurance

Discussion in 'Non Fishing Chat' started by j99oel, Mar 5, 2011.

1. j99oel

j99oel Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Probably been done a thousand times already, but this is a classic.
    Ive just been trying to renew my car insurance, last yrs price was around £400 fully comp.
    This year (last week) Ive had 6 points removed from my licence, great I thought, though they are claiming a higher premium for 5 yrs not 3 that the points were on my licence.
    To try combat this, I thought I ll cure you, robbing B@+"£%*s.

They asked where the car was parked on a night? "is it parked on your driveway?"
    I am a lorry driver by trade so from monday-Friday my car is parked in a locked compound, surrounded by a 10ft steel security fence, topped off with barb wire it is also under surveillance by a security camera.
    Now you would think that these extra measures would bring my premium down???
    Because my car is not parked on the driveway at night they are now asking me to pay £775 per year,
    as you can imagine I am mad as hell.

Joel

2. goaty

goaty Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Never stay with the same insurance company. Go to a price comparison website (money saving expert or similar) and get alot of online quotes and find the best deal. Some insurance companies offer incentives (free m.o.t / cash back) just to take out a policy!
    Also never automatically renew your insurance with out finding out if you can get a better deal elsewhere.

3. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

I go onto Insure and Go's web site every year and always get a cheaper premium than what the current insurer is quoting. It takes about 5 mins to initially fill your details in, but you will get around 100 qoutes, many from well known companies.

4. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

They are all banging premiums up like mad at the moment for the craziest of reasons, shop around and show no loyalty to anyone

5. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Try Tesco car insurance me and the missus have saved Hundreds just hope next years quote is as good have a look on there site and see what you think.

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

I will second Tesco insurance. I saved over £200 for a better policy and cover. Just be careful on some of the comparison sites as well because there are a lot of hidden extras and voluntary excesses etc. that are not clearly defined in the original quotes.

7. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Everytime i have tryed to go on a comparison site it seems to an age to answer all the stupid bloody questions they ask , :angry:

8. ohmycod

ohmycod New Member

All forms of insurance are legalised robbery. The industry is always saying that this disaster or that disaster is going to cost them billions. RUBBISH! All they do is bump up the premiums of Joe Schmoe to negate their losses. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.