1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tope From A Kayak - Tope Hunt this Sunday - 3rd of August

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Jul 31, 2008.

1. carpyken

carpyken New Member

We have organised a paddle this Sunday with the aid of Chris CPS on his boat out from Tunstall after the Tope. Simon aka Dorado is coming up to hopefully cover it as a story for Boat Fishing Monthly - all dependant on the weather and conditions of course.

Now its quite a big paddle, probably covering 3.5 miles each way, fairly big tides - but we have been assured not as big as Flamboro - the main difference is that there is very little slack water compared to a neap tide, the speed in knots isn't that much different to a smaller tide.

We will probably be covering 10 miles of paddling and anchoring in a fast tide. Anyone is welcome but if you have doubts about your experience or fitness it may not be the trip for you. I would like anyone who is thinking of coming to have a minimum of at least a VHF & at least a compass ( along with all the norm safet kit, pfd etc). Chris will be there acting as guide and as a safety boat if required plus of course it will make for a healthy bit of competition and banter :cheesy: . Its an early start - 7am on the beach i think but will confirm.

Tackle is simple really, a 15/20lb bot rod is fine with a multiplier full of 18/20lb line, 6 / 7 oz leads, dont let rigs bother you, I have a load. A few mackerel feathers with 6oz leads needed to catch bait - it really is just simple down tide fishing. A pair of long nose pliers and wire cutters are essential for releasing the fish quickly and safely - there is no need to bring a tope aboard if you dont want to.

A good anchor ( i use a 1.5lb one) on a long line is needed. Dave uses a little bouy/pellet which is a good idea as you can unclip yourself when required and then simply moor back up.

2. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Re: Tope Hunt this Sunday - 3rd of August

7 am start suits me, what time we planning on being back on the beach? I noticed on Chris's rigs he was using a gripper, is that advisable as last week we were just using plain leads, also is the depth of water the same as last week as I need to sort out my anchor line, also is it a race to the mark as I intend to be cruising at a fair speed :canadian: oh no sails allowed :whistle:

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Depth is about the same mate at between 40 and 50 ft - did no one tell you that you have to paddle a new boat slowly the first couple of outings just to 'run it in' so to speak :canadian: :canadian:. Not sure on grippers, sure Chris will step in and let us know, we'll be off the water before mid afternoon I'm sure

4. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

I m trying to get Sunday off work Ken....don't know if i'll manage it but trying for a thrid attempt at launching !

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

ok mate, be good to see you

Ken

6. smokey

smokey Rockling

The weather should be absolutely perfect for you guys on Sunday. :wink: :happy: ...tight lines

7. cps

cps Rockling

the gripper is to hang the bait on to aid casting, most of the time i use leads with a hook on the side to hang the bait on just the gripper was handy for the picture and most people have some

8. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Thanks Smokey, heres hoping.

Chris why didn't i think of that :whatever: , I just ended up bumping it off the bottom and downstream as trying to cast a 9 ft leader with half a mackerel on the bottom with a 6ft rod while sitting down is impossible :cheesy:

9. cps

cps Rockling

another reson why i like the egg beater , no cotters when casting odd shaped baits :cheesy:

10. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

ken i wont be able to make this weekend my new van is being sign writtern so i have no transport
    cheers ian

11. carpyken

carpyken New Member

shame Ian, you'ld love it mate :wink: , think we going to be out saturday too but not sure were yet, probably further north weather permitting

12. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ken as a back up in case I don't get Sunday off I m looking at Holderness for a few hours Sat evening as well.
    The colour line at Hornsea today was within about 200 yds of the beach then aqua blue water straight out,hope it stays that way for the weekend.

13. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Ok I am getting organised.

Is Chris any good with a camera? If so, I could give him my SLR for him to get shots of us landing fish from his boat - or will he be anchored up and fishing too?

Heading off sometime around teatime - with a couple of kayaks on the roof. One will still be in bubble wrap!

14. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Heading off sometime around teatime - with a couple of kayaks on the roof. One will still be in bubble wrap!

Oh you shouldn't have Simon :cheesy:

15. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

hope you glued it on to keep things even :laugh:

16. quint

Not so now, strong off shore winds forecast in latter part of day, don't want to be out 3.5 miles in that in any kayak, what a pratt :angry: lets keep an eye on it and hope it's a cock up :sick:

17. spud

spud New Member

Dont forget to take the bubble wrap off before you go out Iian :cheesy:

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Forecasts have been a mile out for the past few weeks, even getting it wrong on the same day. :angry:

19. quint

:laugh: It will be like xmas morning Spud

20. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Ken just to let you know,with the change in the forcast I m not taking time off work now,,i m hoping Sat evening will be ok and so focusing on getting out then for me.A sIain says the Bay won't be much fun with an 18 mph offshore nearly 4 miles out,it will be a be nasty.
    Hope the forcast is wrong for you guys and the meet comes good...I ve had too many disappintments with the weather this week to waste holidays from work :sad: