1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tope fishing tactics

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

This year my golden goal is to follow in the footsteps of Ken on here and bag myself a tope from the kayak. The weather has not been good of late but hopefully we will get a window in the north winds soon.

My main question is bait, I have coordinates of some productive marks within easy reach from the shore by yak.I have the rigs and tackle, I have the fish for rubby dubby bags...........so I've had several opinions of what to use, fresh mackerel seems to come first. Will frozen work ? Has anyone had a Tope on bluey ? I can source some eel sections as well and I read they have caught Tope ?

What are your thoughts please ?

Roll on some settled weather.

2. bigbob1

bigbob1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have had them on fresh poutings ,fresh dabs easy enough to catch where your going dave :happy:

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Timely topic this one as I too am going to try catching tope from Redcar, I knoe they're here its just a question of locating them but one was caught accidently about 4 weeks ago in a net in the area where I'm going to try

I know in the Thames estury the top tope bait is fresh eel section but given the recent changes in legislation i don't think anyone would be giving that bait much of a try but the top bait nationally tends to be fresh caught mackeral either in fillets or flappers so I'll be giving it a whirl when the mackeral arrive in numbers as I believe the tope are not far behind

4. rupert

rupert Blenny

For hookbaits, use fresh every time. :yes:

5. Captainahab

Captainahab New Member

6. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

theres a few to be found off the skinningrove area, a good bait for tope is obviously mackerel , but EELS can be a very good bait , and theres
    plenty have fallen to flounders

7. Fishy Rich

Fishy Rich Guest

an interesting topic this, ive been chatting with a few commercial lads here, and im certainly going to be giving the tope fishing a go, one of the lads i was chatting with said he had 11 one day in his nets! but they said they only seem to catch them in their nets when the water is coloured and there is a fair bit of swell on. ive a fair idea of where im going to try, rubby dubby is a definate, through research, white fish baits (whiting, pouting, poor cod, dabs etc) tend to work, but the only to find out whats best is trying different baits on different lines then draw your own conclusions.
    this may sound daft but if you have a chum trail going there is chance of a porgy close in, all my sons operating out of staithes had that porgy last year apparently within a mile of the land.
    fingers crossed we'll get amoung em, good luck lads

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

The boats down at redcar seem to land a few smoothhounds....

9. robq

robq Rockling

I read somewhere that a fillet taken from a plaice, dab or flounder is a very good bait. It was rolled up like a cigar and whipped up with cotton onto an 8/0 pennel.

10. deadlyfish

deadlyfish Guest

Live maccy with its tail chopped off and a small slash or two to get the scent and distress really working in amongst a good chum trail cannot fail. If you are using an uptiding grip lead set up to catch them make sure your chum trail is on the sea floor not on the surface :wink: :wink:
    Had a 6lb ish thorny take a whole maccy up the mull so you never know what may pull your string :yes: :yes:

11. macky

macky New Member

we tried frozen baits, bluey, mackrel etc last year abored lizzard~! nothin, put a live mackrel on u got instant runs