1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tope fishing from the shore

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by willybendit, Aug 15, 2010.

1. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi All I'm going to try and catch a tope from the shore up at the mull i know a few places that fit the requirements
    one is a bout 100 yards off shore and the other is about 80yards I'm going to try a bolt rig as used in carp fishing but bigger lead and hooks
    i intend to drop the bait off the boat into the drop off then motor back to shore and sit tight until i get a run both rods will be 30lb test and the reels will hold 350 + yards of 35lbs nylon the there will be 30 yards of 60lbs leader on to my rubbing trace then onto my bite trace hooks will be barbed 7/0
    would you recommend anything different in set up leads will 1lbs just to drive the hooks home circal hooks will be used at all times get your thinking heads on tightlines Alain

2. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

I'm heading up to the Mull with Ben (congerball) this Friday and we're thinking of trying to do the same. I know Ben's had 1 before from the shore so it is possible.

We'll have to get together for a session both fishing and drinking. Would be magical to get a tope from the shore.

I'll give Ben a nudge tomorrow when I see him and tell him to give you a ring.

All the best,

Tim

3. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Tim I'm the one who fixed Ben's outboard engine i spoke to Ben this morning I'm bringing some rods and reels for you lads to try could do with some up to the minute info on Luce ill ring eric in stranraer he might know if the tope are in will see you in the clash mines a cider cheers tightlines Alain

4. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

best of luck with the tope alain.you ever tried these tactics down holderness?

5. timbo007

timbo007 New Member

Hi Alain,

Hopefully the tope will want to play ball but if they don't I'm sure we'll have fun trying.

I'm not too sure if you can still or are allowed to fish the old pier in Stranraer but I have heard of a few coming off there when they are running up the loch plus some decent size conger.

We could be in for a long old wait but I'll keep the cider flowing.

Looking forward to it, see you soon.

Tim

6. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi shammy no not yet but no doubt ill try as soon as and when the tope show along the holderness coast Ive got a few lads that would give it a go (your welcome) all we have to do is find a feature IE(Dropoff) stick the baits close with a bucket of ground bait and sit back and wait bit like carp fishing just bigger and stronger tackle will be used Ive had tope last year off the holderness coast up to 50lbs plus I did put a report and pictures on the forum (tope out of hornsea) ill see how it goes up Scotland and modify any tackle if needs be saves making yourself look a nt on your own doorstep Ha Ha so have a think and make any suggestion on tackle and venues would be great a load of lads bivved up along hornsea beach waiting for a run anyway ill try it up Luce as Ive had some info that a few tope have been caught on the boats tightlines Alain

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Tim the last time i heard anything about the old pier it was out of bounds (closed) as a jetty was to be built for the ferry's but we can have a ride over to see Ive never caught a conger stuck a rod out at lat vag had a few clicks on the reel but no positive takes Knowing my luck ill hook into one that wants to eat my foot but id like to catch one anyway so until friday tightlines Alain

8. gforce

gforce Blenny

dave brown caught one from the holderness shore a good few years ago , ive got a pic if he don,t mind i,ll post it laters
    steve

9. congerball

congerball Blenny

well well well I'm sat at work now and all I can think of is getting up there....my brother set off yesterday the jammy sod. Not long to go now. Everything will be in when we get up there Alain :canadian:!!...I'm confident we'll catch something to shout about :yes:...I need to anyway...spent a lot of money on tackle, getting that dinghy all set-up and ready...need to have something to show for it all! My brothers knocked up some launching wheels for the dinghy which has saved me a bit, much easier to launch it now..no more carrying the bugger down to the beach! The thermostat and gasket came the other day so going to put that on...then that’s it...all ready. Invested in one of them Icom M33's....waterproof and they float so should be fine for the dinghy. Hopefully I'll never have to use it but best be safe. Got the life jackets ready.
    Just hope the weather plays ball now. Going to be a good laugh. Read that there’s some smuts turning up down at Sandhead at the moment....some lads out on 'Go West' (I think that’s the boat) had 4 rods scream off when a Porgie picked them up! Round from the mull. Cleared the water right next to the boat....I want one of them!
    Me and Tim will be arriving late on Friday evening so Saturdays going to be ‘prep day’ get all the tackle sorted, set the dinghy up…hopefully get it out for a blast, have a run through to Stranraer to stock the fridge up and call in at Erics for some banter…cant wait. Saturdays high water is about 10.45am, low is about 5pm….not 100% but I think that’s right, need to get myself a book.

Roll on friday.....

10. macky

macky New Member

I seam to remember finnarts bay rocks was a known tope mark, and a few have been caught from old house point, if u can still fish it that is?

11. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Macky thanks for the info i might have a ride round there see whats what tightlines Alain

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Whats bolt rig Alain? not familiar with carp fishing.

13. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

It s a fixed lead rig or semi fixed lead rig Ray, they idea being that the weight of the lead pulls the hook home. The fish is pricked by the hook which causes it to 'bolt' and self hook itself. It revoloutionised carp fishing when anglers moved onto the bolt rig from running ledger rigs.
    So Alains theory of a pound of lead is that the fish picks up the bait, moves off with it and using a circle hook the Tope as soon as it feels the hook prick its mouth will 'bolt' and due to the circle, pull itself onto the hook.

This one fell to the classic short hook length bolt rig:
    [​IMG]
    Be interesting to see if the slight resistance from the trace induces a drop of the bait , if not can't see it failing.

Good luck Alain, fortune favours the brave.

14. bassman

bassman Administrator

15. macky

macky New Member

Proper tope have been caught from the beaches in the past alan, The doc might have some pics of them, 30lb + a few of them i believe

16. kevinh

kevinh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Old House Point is totally off bounds as it's now in full flow construction for the new ferry port.... some people have been known to still gain access to the old coal pier at cairnryan recently. Also, there was some shore caught tope from Light house point at the foot of the coal pier... again access might be difficult due to the construction further down the loch.

17. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Dave thats a cracker wheres that from i was right into carp fishing years ago my pb 28 1/4 from a local pond in york now called lakeside lodges might have the pictures from anglers mail somewhere

18. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

2003 Feb 28th first session of that year, 10pm two beeps on the Delkim really slow run. 28lb 3oz taken on a simple knotless knot short rig with bait 3 black eyed beans over a bed of seeds. It was from Hull and districts Brandesburton 3+4 pond matey. Terrible photo I had to wake the only other angler on the lake up as it was the biggest fish in the lake. Later that year it came out at 31lb.

Ducky s been asking about carp fishing told him it will do his head so stay away !

A couple more mid 20's below. Post up the pics Alain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Kevin its not oftern i go into cairnrayan only fished it a few times that seacat puts me off bloody thing me and duncan from newton stewart tackle shop went one time years ago all we caught where doggies must admit i like Luce and port logan looks like i will be on my own this next week as the lad that was coming with me as called it off might be a boat place going for a few days ill pm you my number tightlines Alain

20. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Dave awesome fish i still have all the gear in the loft like you say it does your head in got sick off carp then went pike fishing Pb 25lbs 7oz went all over Scotland i used to be r/o of York P.A.C. many years ago my claim to fame was i invented the helicopter rig it was used for pike fishing were the livebait could swim up and down and round and round on a sunken paternoster rig use to stop the live bait tangling the trace up then it was developed for carp fishing who ever named it the helicopter ive no idear i used to call it the up down round and round rig should be in some old pike lines mags i remember showing it to nev fickling that could be a good Bass rig off the yaks with livebait tightlines Alain