1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOPE FISHING - Filey Bay Session

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mww, Jun 11, 2007.

1. mww

mww Rockling

Best get this out of the way first - cps, Trouty & myself ventured forth amidst the fog yesterday afternoon in search of our first Filey Bay tope - spurred on by reports of 3 in the Brigg-side salmon nets plus mackerel last week, we thought we had a fair chance. Ok, so we blanked on tope, but had a marvellous session otherwise......

Now, that's out of the way, I'll make what is a pretty sweeping statement, but one I'll make anyway - the inshore codling fishing was definitely the busiest I personally have ever experienced...... Period!!

We started around 1630 with not much tide running, & hardly covered any ground - not the greatest conditions! We set up with spinning rods & sabiki/ silver demon rigs for mackerel (tope bait), the macks never got a look in for a stream of good sized billets & equally good sized (2-5lb) codlings. They were obviously feeding on small 1-2" sandeels, & the small lures were I guess a pretty good representation. At times within casting distance (ok, so it was cps casting distance.....) we were getting codlings 2 at a time regularly, often not hitting the bottom & we were only in 8-10m!! Great sport on the light gear!!

cps caught a single mackerel, which reminded us what we were actually intending to do & at the edge of our visibility - 100yds max - Trouty spotted some gulls diving - a swift move yielded more mackerel than we'd dared hope for - there were as many as we cared to catch.

Then we spent the abortive 3 hours not catching any tope, but continued jigging with one rod & continued to catch shed-loads of macks, a few herring & more than the odd codling.

Last half hour we went back after codlings, & by then mackerel were among them - it was a total waste of time using sabikis/ demons, but single leadheads managed to get through them, & the codlings were still there in numbers.

I've no accurate idea of the number of codlings we caught - I'd guess at around 70-80 between the 3 of us, but could have been more. The quality was superb, nothing above 6lb, but nothing at all undersized, & very few under 2lb. We kept maybe 15 & returned the rest....bearing in mind we only rigged for mackerel, & that we probably only targetted codlings for a couple of hours......phenomenal!!

Oh yes, catch of the day was undoubtedly my 12oz dab, hooked fairly in the mouth on the first drop on the top hook of a demon rig!!! Undoubtedly....!!

Mart

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Re: Filey Bay Tope Session

Sounds a fantastic session Mart well done mate. Lets hope a few of them are on the shore for next weekends filey match. I only want the 1 but it has to be around 10 pounds :eek: ;D

3. mww

mww Rockling

Well done to Captain cps really. All Trouty & I had to do was stand there & wave our rods about....

One thing's for sure, we never did your chance of a 10lber any harm....every time we thought we'd got "him", it turned out to be another brace of 4lbers!!!

BTW ask cps about his brief shadding exploits!!!

Mart

4. cps

cps Rockling

shads are for whimps ;D

got a bag load if anyone wants any cos they dont work at filey :mad:

5. baza

baza New Member

what a cracking session. i was supposed to be out on a private boat yesterday but got let down at the last minute i was gutted. what could have been ???

6. robq

robq Rockling

Good skills !!

Looks good for my yak session tomorrow then ;D ;D

7. rusty1

rusty1 New Member

Sounds like a cracking day :)

And i wish you'd all stop talking about Yaks, I dont think my bank manager would be too happy ::)

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

got to agree there phil...damn yakkers...... ;D

9. robq

robq Rockling

Will put some nice pics up for you later lads ;D ;D

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Thats wet my appetite - might just have to launch the old yak - good report

11. robq

robq Rockling

paddled all the way from north landing to big railings and drifted all the way back on the flood. Nowt up bempton end apart from mackerel ??? ??? good exercise though !! could easily have filled the yak with the mackerel but I stopped at 10.

Did get a few cod in the end down towards thornwick though, kept 5 nice ones in the 3- 4.5 lb range, all fish stuffed with tiny sandeels or pipefish, didnt do so good with bait today and they seemed to want a small slim mini pirk ( 40g cebar ). the only downer was it rained all afternoon but a good day apart from that.