1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

too early for uptiding?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Benq23, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

after spending a lot of time chasing other species with some enjoyable fishing
    I was fancying grabbing a couple of cod, is it still worth jigging in the ususal rough ground areas or would it be about time to begin uptiding from the kayak?
    any thoughts?

2. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

its not too early for uptiding ben get into a good tide run with some big baits and you should be able to pick a few fish up. i think im gonna be chasing the bass for as long as i can tho as winters nearly upon us.

3. Benq23

cant seem to get into bass fishing, I seem to lose heart quite early in the venture, had a few sessions argetting pollack and bass where Ive left all other kit at home to resist temptation but have remained unsuccesfull

4. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

I had a nice cod couple of weeks ago fishing close in at kettelness so I don't see any reason for not having a go. I was fishing for mackerel at the time check my last post well I think it was my last.
    Tightlines Chris

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

You've got all winter for uptiding Ben, get after those Bass and Pollock whilst ya can bud :wink:

6. Benq23

shouldnt you be gardening?

7. newdave

newdave Guest

definitely not too early if its what you like to do Ben, the Filey boat competitions have been anchor & bait fish events for most of the competitors, although they seem to prefer downtide. plenty of decent cod & pollock. they are weighed gutted so there a few doubles landed. must admit it makes a nice change to sit & bait fish instead of paddling all day. the session we had for Thorny's was really pleasant. :happy:

8. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its never too early for uptiding. Fish will take bait all year round. I had quite a few codling in June on bait at Kettleness. Ask Spawney about his 3 fish on 1 squid head this time last summer. We had some cracking sessions on the corner of Kettleness in Sept last year. Just fish the same area you had the sucess when jigging back in June and July and you wont be far wrong.

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i think you need to get a bass before the seasons out ben

10. Benq23

thats the thing, I just cant get motivated for bass, if I caught one I dont think Id be awestruck and hooked for life, had a couple on baits last winter, I know they are meant to be great sport but I dont have the determination some of you other lads have about them, not knocking the lads whove put the effort in and reaped the rewards but I just dont get it.......................yet
    maybe next summer I will make a more concerted effort but right now Im thinking of cod,
    Ive spent a lot of time recently targetting fish I would never normally be bothered with, and its always nice to catch what youve set out to target, be this paddling for hours for a couple of pollack or sitting in the harbour getting little billet on the float but as dave said in the above post, sometimes a rest from endless paddling needs to be taken
    I would love to have a go at livebaiting if ever I get a bloody sandeel/small billet, but I just have a hankering to sit about at anchor and fish big baits for decent fish
    that settles it,
    tomorrow I uptide
    thanks for all your responses lads

11. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

any good today Ben? or is a report forthcoming?

12. Benq23

No mate didnt do much really, managed a small pollack on the plug but thats about it. didnt stay out too long myself, sam and richard may have done better a they stayed out a little longer
    havent heard from them yet though

13. Benq23

Well I gave it a go tonight, was nice to just sit back and relax a while on the sea, reminded me of the early summer and the ejoyment of drifting and taking in the surroundings, a thing I have missed latley
    baited up with a large squid and lug cocktail adn shot it out into the tide, found the method quite easy once tried a few times, had a good bite which resulted in a nice 3lb cod, switched to jigging for a while out of curiosity and was bombarded by whiting, had a nice mackerel and that was about it
    still a lovely way to spend a few hours on a sunny afternoon
    will definatly be using this method as often as possible through the winter :yes: