1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tonight off Hornsea.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jellyworm, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Well the various weather forecasts I looked at gave a few different options but the general concensous was for light winds swinging Northerly but staying light.With that in mind I got in touch with Rob and arranged to meet up at Hornsea south shore .I d already spoken to Fudge ,who wanted some re-entry to the yak tuition so we agreed if the sea no good for fishing then we could at least show him how to get back on and off.

At Hornsea the obligtory fish and chips were taken on board from "Sullivans" and I found the other two already at the slipway ready to go for 6pm.
    The sea was ok little bit of wind chop but not bad.
    We set of with a nervous Fudge asking asking us how far out we were going as shore angling was his forte,dropping in the names of the top nth east anglers he fished with " I'o,Ray Maddison, plus all the Holderness anglers, we never realised the company we were with !! :wink: :wink:

Anyway around the 3/4-1 mile mark we dropped anchor and also the crab pots went out hoping we could bag a lobster or two.
    It was then we found out that we couldn t pass on the anchor techniques to Fudge as he'd forgotten his anchor..lol. :wink: :wink:

As it happened Fudge caught a good bag of Mackeral jigging on the drift but with the strong tide it looked hard work fishing a short drift then paddling back up tide.

At anchor Rob and I both had bites to bait that ended up also as mackeral,the hope of the first Holderness yak caught Skate still only a hope !
    It was after about an hour of very pleasant fishing that the weather started to change and a squally north east wind started to whip the sea up to the point that it was washing right over the side of the yak and we decided that we should up anchor before it got much worse.
    Fudge had already set off in so we pulled the anchors up then the pots,no lobsters unfortunately just a few velvets that went back.
    The paddle back in was interesting with us having to lean heavily into the cross ways swells just to stay upright.the yaks really can take some sea as by this point the water was breaking white with some big waves running over the sides.
    Eventually we got back in and a quick update to the coast guard just wasn't been received ...must be down to location on the beach at Hornsea.I rang on the mobile and was given a big thankyou for going to the rouble of ringing in as they thought our broken message at sea had been for a tow back in !! They do a great job and have said they appreciate the updates from us when going out and more important when back in.

No pics as forgot my camera,we did spend an hour showinh Fudge how to use tide wind and swells to aid the re-entry to the yak and after a few practices he got it down so hopefully should he get tipped at least getting back on won't be a problem.

Cheers Kayak jellyworm.out !

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Nice one Dave. Sound slike you managed to help Fudge with his re entry and hopefully he had more luck this time than last.

Just out of interets have any of you ever had lobsters out of those pots you use ? I am wondering if it is worth the hassel of geting the pot and the licence to have a go up here ?

3. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

With the weather Glenn this year I haven't been able to shoot them and today was only for an hour .
    Rob had a good bag of edibles in size earlier when he shot tehm over night on the same ground we were over today.
    No lobsters yet but only a matter of time I reckon.
    When I get moved to hornsea and so increase my chances of launches by being nearer the sea I intend to get the pots out more often and leave them for longer periods.
    The licence is free by bthe way Glenn and runs from Jan 0 Dec each year and you have to re-apply each year.

Cheers Jellyworm. :happy:

4. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Nice to see you got out mate, know my neighbour who has the little boat at north end Hornsea had a load of lobsters last week, he flogged them all at work and paid for his days fuel :surprise: :happy:

5. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

We need a few settled days so we can shoot them and leave them for a couple of days with some bait in rather than the hour they got today.
    I was hoping for a few big crab to go in the freezer for bait.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

One local skipper told me that 2 velvet crabs cracked open and place in the pot was the best lobster bait through the summer months. A few years ago before all this bull$hit of needing a licence I acquired an old pot and me and my young lad shot it on Whitby Scars at Saltwick, Sadly we got no lobsters, everything but as we managed a codling a pollock, a coalfish, a rockling and some edible crabs. The lad enjoyed the whole event and shooting and returning to the pot was a real adventure for him.

I understand the licence is free, but my question is for how long, and why is it needed. Another case of big brother and the state getting involved in things that have have gone on for hundreds of years. Another liberty eroded. :angry: :angry:

Rant over :whistle:

7. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I sometimes shoot a pot when I'm crabbing big tides and the anticipation when lifting the pot is great, however I seem to do better with lobsters whilst actually crabbing, as my fingers will testify :wounded:

8. robq

robq Rockling

I had a few lobsters in my pots last year in last summer :yes: most were undersized but I did get 2 decent ones. They are only £3.75 at whitby angling supplies and a few pence for 100ft of string and a bit of old pipe lagging for a float its good cheap fun !! just remember to weigh them down with a bit of old lead or the tide will take them
    I did get some decent sized edibles a few months ago after a 24 hour soak off hornsea, around 20 between 4 pots !!

Cheers for the tip about the velvets as bait Glenn, they are a right pain and once you get them in your pot you dont seem to get anything else in there with them ?? will give it a try next time out

Rob