1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to rename the site to Whitby Sea Kayaks ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by foo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Sorry guys, and I do not mean any dis respect to all you yakkers but all this site seems to be about just lately is kayaks !! Even the eagerly awaited Forum boat match from yesterday with the 2 top boats in Whitby has not had a report yet from yesterday ??
    I know yakking is a growing sport but it seems to have totally overtaken Whitby Sea Anglers these days.............................just saying ! :cheesy:

2. andym

andym Rockling

I see what your saying foo but it appears the yakkers are prepared to put the effort in reporting and posting pics be an even better site if all aspects of fishing where as keen to post up

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

if you want the forum to be more diverse then post something abit different.

go out and tell us where youve been/ what youve caught.

4. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

As I said Andy no dis respect to yakkers as I do enjoy reading some of the reports. Its just the totally nonsense ones that bore me like the current one thats running about black curly tail shads. To me things like that should be contained within the dedicated kayak section but of course that is just my opinion.
    Dan there is no need to be so abrupt in you reply I was merely stating an opinion after all that is what a forum runs on, opinions.
    As it happens I did go fishing yesterday but we steamed many many miles for very little reward so I did not think other members would be interested in reading that particular report.
    One slight point of interest however that will interest the diesel heads and boaties was the cat has had new stilts fitted and as a result we had her up to around 32-33 knots yesterday at 4000rpm a phenomenal increase. We estimated it will now take us around 35 -55 mins steaming to reach the better fishing grounds around Whitby ;)

5. kencoddy

kencoddy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

have a seprate kayak section what a great idea

6. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Quite seasonal too but I also enjoy reading reports from the charter and private boats, the shore bass anglers and those who target the other summer species from the shore. Been fishing guys? Take your camera and tell us all about it :happy:

As for separate sections, would you wants us to separate the shore anglers, the boaters, the charters, the bass anglers? Nope, end of the day we're all anglers, if you don't like the look of a thread don't open it :happy: Personally I like to read them all, I've learnt so much from the charter reports, from the bass anglers and I put this to good affect on the yak :happy:

So lets keep it positive and lets see more summer reports from the other disciplines :happy:

Ken

7. Ian Alexander

Ian Alexander Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hello,
    Most of the forum content at the moment is kayaking, but I think that's because most of the guys that contribute to the site regularly are making the most of the great conditions and going kayaking. I enjoy reading the reports and the photos that the lads post are great.

I understand that kayaking may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a seasonal thing and before long we'll have different topics, summer codding and bass, then all too soon the summer will be gone and the zillion cod challenge will be here and everyone will be complaining about the lack of sea's/colour/cod.
    I'm just enjoying the reports whilst they last. It makes the forum interesting and diverse.

Take care everyone, Ian

8. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

this time last year i was sick of all the kayak posts lol but now i have a kayak more the better.....

9. bucko

bucko New Member

I think the anglers will be a little tired after a long day- especially us that fished Sunday night too.
    As for the skippers- they should be the two boats to pitch for Red Bull sponsorship after a long weekend, Sunday evening thrown in and busy week ahead.
    Plenty pics were taken though so watch this space.

10. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

The site is about fishing, not kayaks. We are kayak fishermen, not kayakers. What difference does it make what part of the North Sea we choose to fish in, how we access our mark, or what bait/lure we use to target the fish ?
    No disrespect to you Foo either, but the subject of using shads to catch summer cod is a very interesting subject to anyone who goes fishing for them and we all want to know which ones do well and which ones do not. I agree that some of the comments about black curly tail shads might possibly be construed as "nonsense", but isn't that just about having a bit of fun. I also believe that the subject of shads is at least of equal interest to the readers as your new stilts and the speed of your boat.
    In fact, every time I have checked the site for yak fishing reports, there has been very little news until recently (with the exception of AndyM's excellent reports and pics). As has already been said, yak sea fishing is more of a seasonal sport and not many of us bother with it during the colder months, so I also have to disagree with you about it being a growing sport. Perhaps if the inshore population of cod and other species continue to increase as they seem to be doing, we will eventually see an increase in kayak angling and every other type of sea angling, which can only be a good thing for the Whitby Sea Anglers Forum.

11. andym

andym Rockling

I think Foo's comments have been taken the wrong way a bit easy to do on forums as I know Foo likes the kayak reports and often comments on them but think he was more wanting the other disciplines to post up in equal measures also dont think Dans comment was abrupt just the way it was read I think

12. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

Yes, you're right about it being easy to take written comments the wrong way, AndyM. It does seem to happen quite often on this site with the diversity of disciplines and the passionate anglers who pursue them. Just wanted to say that I also love reading the charter boat fishing reports and seeing pics of those big catches. It makes me want to book a trip out there and catch a few myself. I also like reading the shore reports and I'm particularly fond of shore fishing for Bass between mid summer and late autumn. I also do quite a lot of freshwater angling using different disciplines and I enjoy the variety in our sport.
    In fact, I'm just crazy about fishing, full stop.
    I wasn't disrespecting anything that Foo said, and I hope that he wouldn't see it as taking his comment the wrong way.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I can understand where Foo is coming from , I suppose diversity is the thing ------ What I cant understand is the views to reply ratio
    ! ! ! I have seen some good topics with loads of hits but very few replies , WHY ? the word Apathy springs to mind , isn't the forum about joining in ?

14. steven watt

big cliff is right,,,, nevbob put a post on the other day about his kayak trip first cod nice post and some nice pics only 3 posts returned,,, sunday i put a post up with my 8lb pb and nice 5 min long hd video, over 300 views 3 replies, i really enjoy this forum as its on my door step,its our first year kayak fishing, but me and few other lads is starting to think whats the point in posting as we get no replies, it takes alot of time to upload pics to photobucket copy the links across, upload a 1.89gb video to youtube, all for what 3 replies,,,, starting to think you might need to be in the right gang to get replies,,,,,

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Stats can be deceiving chaps. For instance- they could be getting viewed from people the other side of the world.
    People will interact if they feel like doing so- its the nature of the internet. Often they need prompting to respond- a question within the post (Has anyone else fished this area, Do orange shads work there, what tides are best... that sort of thing)

16. steven watt

you could be right bucko but anglersafloat my same post 183 views 8 replies, facebook fishmanslockor 56 comments, kayak fishing uk 6 replies 46 views, nesa 9 replies 240 views,,,,, you do the maths bucko

17. Easy Yakker

Easy Yakker simply messing about in boats

I don't fish from the shore or cliffs but still enjoy the posts in winter. Every day from about October to February there would be 2 or 3 posts from lobbers and others about their catches, and about the 50 cod challenge; all good reading and plenty to learn from them. And I would enjoy knowing that whilst I was tucked up in a warm bed, there were dozens of people fishing from the beaches and cliffs around Whitby in the freezing cold and raging winds, who would write about it for me to read over breakfast, whilst looking forward to the better weather. Well the better weather is finally here so it's not surprising the kayakers are out in droves. And as they are catching as well, it's obvious they are going to want to write about it, and there are some really good, informative and really quite amusing posts going up at the moment with some cracking pictures. As they nearly all say kayaking in the Subject, it is easy enough to skip over them, just as I skip over anything about waders, beachcasters, smocks and headlights in the winter period.

18. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

You have to be a member on some of those sites. It would be interesting to see how many of the views on here were from guests, or people who stumbled over it through google etc.

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You could say the same in Winter, "All this site is about bloody shore fishing for cod". Also I find this post annoying given the amount of time and effort that Sam, Ken Pippa Fiona and others put into setting up a kayak festival and making it work. Weve just had the main event of our kayak fishing calendar, of course the sites going to be all talk about it. I dont see anyone setting up a shore fishing festival and making that work in the middle of summer ?? Why talk negatively about tsomething people have taken a great deal of effort to organise and report on.

With regard to the forum boat match, For the record Paul is very Poorly and has been since Sunday, Rich has a very young baby in the house so their report will come when they have time. Also without stating the obvious thers 20 forum members on those boats yesterday, has any one of them took the effort to take a camera along and write up the story ??? i doubt it very much. This is meant to be a community with people contributing yet its only the same old few who do whilst the rest sit on the sidelines and snipe.

On the boat fishing front Ive tried to get the charter skippers to post but other than Paul, Mick and Richard no-one is bothered.

In the next few months The Whitby lads are going Shore fishing in Scotland twice, weve currently got Garry up in Scotland and Im sure his post will be amazing when it comes, we also have the boat angling festival just around the corner. To be honest I still cant think of a better site on the net in terms of diversity and expertise.

With regards to the lack of posts to views Ratio, that says one thing, your not good at engaging people. Take the time to write well, compliment the story with good quality pictures, ask questions of your readers.

My only concern at the moment, which is a very long term concern of mine is the lack of effort people put into posts. Crappy unappealing topic titles, lack of questions, lack of decernt photographs.

You want the site to be different ? Go fishing and report back, but not crappy one liners like, went to the gare, never caught nowt, idiots swearing and putting rubbish everywhere. who is going to reply to to that ? Its dull.

To be honest I wonder why people even go on the gare ? You know its full of loons yet you all go there like muslims to mecca.

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Maybe the problem is that everyone saw your post elsewhere and commented there.