1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. kevjones36

kevjones36 New Member

Hi, I,m new to sea fishing, Do you guys stick to the 2 hours before and 2 hours after high tide when fishing, or is it worthwhile going anytime,,any help and advice please

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

With the right conditions you can catch fish at any stage of Tide. I'm not sure what is my favourite tide state. Only tides I'm not keen on are the big tides ebbing which we seem to get a lot of at this time of year.

A good time is 2 hours either side of low water.

3. kevjones36

kevjones36 New Member

Only been 4 times caught a billet at the gare, and a small whiting off whitby pier, really enjoying it whether i catch something or not. Do i still have a chance of cod or is it getting a bit late thanks

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Obviously your chances will lesson as the season progresses due mainly to the lack of rough seas and more daylight hours. But there is always good bags and good fish to be had right through March and April. I remember Lobbers catching this one in April one year (might even have been May - It was the same night as the Whitby club presentation evening that year, I remember it as when we got in Lisa mum who had baby sat for us said she had had a rather excited bloke on the phone telling her about a 10 pound cod. Who else could it be but lobbers) - As you can see its still Daylight too.

[​IMG]

Then as you get into summer there is chance of plenty of cod in the right places. From late May onwards all the venues to the south of Whitby start to throw out red cod. Plenty of cod on the northern marks to but the areas around Scarborough can be really productive.

5. Ringer

Ringer Rockling

it all depends on where you want to fish.obviously the piers and cliffs are best over high water as there is a better depth of water.but fishing off the edges of the scaurs can only be done over low water.this doesn't matter though as you will be casting into fairly deep water.the harder to get to marks ie climbing up and down ropes on cliffs tend to be better at producing cod.clean sandy beaches often produce bags of whitings whereas its not often they are caught over the roughest of ground.choice of bait is also important and will affect your catch rate.best thing to do is join a club and find out where most of the fish in matches is coming from.try to tag along with some of the club members(harder said than done) i've been trying since october lol.and most of all enjoy yourself and never give up hope.i was fishing for three years before i caught my first codling big enough to take home.