1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tide Turns / Slack water ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by THE DOLPHIN, Sep 17, 2009.

1. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

What are your opinions. How long after high water does the tide stop running ie if it was high tide at 9am the tide still runs south how long after till slack water ?

2. stephen

stephen Guest

It's 3 hours here in Berwick...High tide at 9 slack at 12..

3. Kayak13

Kayak13 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

3 Hours????
    Are you saying that once the water reaches it's full height it take 3 hours for the tide to stop running?
    I think maybe we are on different wave lengths here. :confused:
    After 3 hours the tide has already turned and heading out surely no matter where you are?? No?

4. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

no! there is a rule of twelths with the tide over the 6 hour period it is split into 12ths
    you start with one part of the tide from the start then add on every hour
    1st hour after slack 1 12th of tide runs
    2nd hour 2 12ths of tide run
    3rd hour of tide 3 twelths run
    4th hour of tide 3 twelths of tide run
    5th hour of tide 2 twelth of the tide runs
    6th hour of tide1 12 of the tide runs
    slack water

5. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi i have a tidemaster watch and is marked out in two hour cycles so if h/water is 12 its h/water until 14.00 hrs then its 3/4 tide then its 1/2 water so low water is at 6.00 until 8 then up again not a bad thing to have on a boat use it a lot to work out the slip times before and after h/water so i can launch or retrieve my boat without problems also if fishing a venue were you might get cutoff by the tide i find it helpful tightlines Alain

6. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Surely slack water is the period immediately after high water and low water when there is NO tide running at all, ie slack, just immediately before the tide turns the opposite way to what it has just been doin wether it be flowing or ebbing.
    Also the further out to sea you go the time of high or low water will get later up until a certain distance offshore.
    Willybendit sorry mate but I work on boats all over the world and I have never come across a high water or a low water that lasts for 2 hrs

7. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Well we always reckoned on 2 hours after high you get slack but talking to other,s thay all seem to differ let,s here from some of the charter boat skippers thay will no for deffinet.
    Also how long you have over slack water ?
    Chris

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

I may be wrong but I think the point Dolphin is making is similar to this,when I fish off Skinningrove and Boulby in a boat and use a tide table based on River Tees tide times then slack water can occur up to 3 hrs (depending on where your fishing) after the time stated for high/low water.Differences can be seen via tidal diamonds on admiralty charts where tidal flow will be indicated and when slack water periods occur and they certainly aren't always over the high/low water time as indicated in a primary port tide table

9. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Foo i not trying to pull wool I'm just telling what is got on my tidemaster watch and i find it works for me I'm no yachtmaster but i do have the watch so if you could explane how the tide works i think a lot of us would find it helpful and be a lot safer at sea then i think its lawsey could have his lie in thanks for your reply tightlines Alain

10. stephen

stephen Guest

Yes - that's what i'm saying although I have to admit it doesn't sound logical :) . Don't forget the tide run doesn't stop dead as soon as high tide reached. The tide run has to slow down and then stop. In Berwick this takes about 3 hrs.

11. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Simply trying to say as an example 2 o clock high water on the beach would give high water 2 miles out to sea later than 2 o clock . 2 o Clock high water at sea then the tide would already be ebbing on the beach
    Hope this makes sense because I have confused myself now lol.

12. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

foo Alright mate I see what you mean but high water out at sea would be the same as at the beach the tide starts to drop after perdicted high water but the ebb tide starts to turn later.
    I dont want you all argueing just some info for me. Toghtlines all Chris

13. cps

cps Rockling

depends on how far off shore, hw slack tide and 6 mile off maybe 1 1/2 to 2 hours, big tide maybe 2 1/4 hours, land features like flamboro head make a difference, also if your at 30 mile off it maybe 3 1/2 hours after shore time
    it stops running at shore when the table says there or there abouts, thats why there called tables

14. Wildcard

Wildcard Hartlepool Marina - Simply The Best

15. Kayak13

Thanks for the tide charts they are helpful.
    Also if you look at Easytide it shows that slack water ie either the peak or trough of the chart is a short period of time.
    http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EASYTIDE/EasyTide/ShowPrediction.aspx?PortID=0189&PredictionLength=7
    If you max graph size to "1 day" You can see this better.
    Generally the time it takes to get from Slack to slack is about 6 hours approx. ie from high water to low water or low water to high water.
    As the tide approaches slack is slows down until it stops at high or low water then gradually picks up speed again. This is especially slower when you are at a neap tide. So it may seem as though the slower stage of the tide is all slack water but is not it is still moving but much, much slower until it stops briefly then slowly picks up speed again.
    As I say the charts speak for themselves.

16. stephen

stephen Guest

No offence Kayak13 but the Easytide charts speak for themselves as far as high / low tide goes but not for the time it takes for the tide to stop running and change directions.An Admirality Tidal Stream Atlas (available from Amazon) will give you far more accurate figures

I can't speak for anywhere else in the country as I usually only fish Berwick.
    The Berwick flows
    At low water the tidal flow rate is 90%
    Low water plus 1 hour flow rate is 50%
    Low water plus 2 hours slack water
    Low water plus 3 hours flow rate 50%
    Low water plus 4 hours flow rate 90%
    Low water plus 5 hours flow rate 100%
    High water tidal flow rate is 90%
    ....and so on

17. Kayak13

No offence taken whatsoever and interested to get this clarified with other comments.
    My understanding was that the fastest stage of the tide flow is between high and low tide or 3 or 4 hours after High or Low water.
    As you say this may well depend greatly on where you are.
    Apologies if I seemed insistent my view was right on this one I was convinced the charts explained it so clearly.
    In my mind I can't grasp the concept that the water is still running in one direction after High or Low water then stopping (Slack)
    Lol, I'm not so sure now! :embarrass: :happy:

This article may be of interest
    http://www.esru.strath.ac.uk/EandE/Web_sites/03-04/marine/res_resourcebkd.htm
    Especially the section under Tidal Currents it shows the relationship between tidal current and tidal height.

Very interested to hear further comments on this and open to a change of thought if this can be clarified. :yes:

18. November XIII

November XIII Catch the fish you love - love the fish you catch!

Chris,

If you fish Whitby and stick to the inshore areas (ie up to 12 miles) slack water occurs approximately 3 hours after both the high tide and low tide times.

Just because the tide has reached its high or low level at whitby doesn't mean that it changes its direction of flow.

Cheers

George

19. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

Spot on George been talking to one of the charter skippers today he said the same approimately 3 hour but close in ie bell bouy 2 he,s been doing it for 25 year I no of.
    It seems Stephen was right with his first replie.
    Tightlines all Chris

20. DamnYouStupidKayak

DamnYouStupidKayak Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Would I be right in thinking that slack water is actually an imprecise term that we anglers give to a particular period of time when the pull of the tide is at it's minimum and it is really only of any real significance to anglers who fish from the shore or inshore waters ?
    The reason it is imprecise is that the term 'slack water' describes a certain period of time when the tide has less of an influence on an anglers fishing tackle or fishing vessel. It may be used to indicate how long a boat can be comfortably kept in position over a particular feature before the flow of the tide increases to a point where it becomes difficult to keep it there. It can also be used to indicate a period of time when certain species of fish are easier to target (eg. flatties).
    Anyone who has fished from a pier for Mackerel using a spinner or float will have experienced how strong the 'pull' of the tide is in relation to the amount of time that exists before or after high tide or low tide.
    Aside from the wind direction and strength, I've always found that retrieving a spinner in a straight line from where it has been cast to, is easier to achieve 3 hours either side of high or low tide. That is, the spinner is pulled to the left or the right by the strength of the tide flow least of all at the mid point between high and low tide.
    So in practise, slack water is actually only a relative term because the moment when the spinner is least affected by the tide flow only lasts for a moment after which the tide starts coming in instead of going out (or visa-versa) at an ever-increasing rate.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.