1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thru-hull installation of down imaging sonar

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by dizzyfish, Mar 24, 2013.

1. dizzyfish

dizzyfish Have it !

Having done a traditional 2D fish finder, and side imaging on the yak.... down imaging had to be next !

I have just bought a Lowrance Dsi unit from Redcar, and have spent a long time thinking and finally pimping the Hobie Revolution 11.

I didn't want to lose the use of the rear scuppers (I like the wheels), and used a swinging arm on the SI, so decided on a thru-the-hull installation for the DI transducer.

I made the cradle from some high density foam, and located it between the mast and the mirage drive to avoid cavitation from the fins...

[​IMG]

Located the cable gland in the starboard mesh storage pocket (keeps it hidden and allows some slack in the cables)...

[​IMG]

Used a waterproof battery bag - fits in the hatch under the seat - nice and easy...

[​IMG]

Located the main display unit on the starboard gunwale - and used a quick release Lowrance RAM fitting for the head and Yak Attack RAM ball and gear track...

[​IMG]

The unit is very light and so compact, that it can be stowed in the mesh side pocket...

[​IMG]

Finished job...

[​IMG]

Full detailed illustrated instructions (and cradle measurements for Revo 11 if anyone is interested)...

http://dizzybigfish.co.uk/hobie-revolution-kayak-fishfinder-mount/

2. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Well Done Ian looks a neat and tidy job

3. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Looks a cracking job mate, thanks for sharing. Ive added it here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/category/kayak-fishing/pimp-my-kayak/

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

sorry for sounding dumb, but what is a down imaging sonar, and what is it used for ??

5. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

posh words fish finder glenn :laugh:

6. lawsy

lawsy Rockling

You no especially on a yak you don't need to cut a hole out just epoxy the transducer to the hull facing down and it will pass through the hull fine I think it's fine upto quarter of a inch thick hull material so saves a lot of messing and cutting holes in boats and yaks which is never the best idea if you don't have to just some advise if anyone else is thinking about it just tape it in and try it first before you epoxy it though

7. Spawney-Dave

Spawney-Dave Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

not exactly Deano, its different technology & wont show fish. just a clearer image of the bottom. the latest generation of sounders combine DI & conventional sonar to get the best of both worlds. side imaging will give you a 3d picture of the seabed. have a look on utube or the lowrance site to see some examples

8. dizzyfish

dizzyfish Have it !

As Dave said - the downb imaging fish finder just gives you a bit more detail of the sea bed and structure on the bottom.

Strictly speaking - Lowrance do not recomend installaing a down imaging fish finder transducer inside the hull - but my installation on the kayak proves it can be done - and the results were really impressive when I tried it out on Llangorse Lake in Wales last weekend.

ps. I would not recomend using epoxy to fix the transducer in a kayak - it gets quite hot, but more importantly it has lots of tiny air bubbles in it; when it dries this causes interference with the signals from the transducer and the results are not as good as using Sikoflex ;-)