1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Three Techniques And 3 Big Cod

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jun 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

As the alarm bell rang at daft oclock this morning, I turned back over and thought, just 5 more minutes. Not long after Killer was shouting at me to get up. "Its quarter to 4" Paul said, "were meeting Glenn, Geoff and Nick at the boat in 15 minutes, get a move on".

Just enough time to dress, a quick wash and down to the boat to meet the lads for another days fishing in Sea Otter 2. We were greeted by Glenns broad Yorkshire accent "Where have you been, weve bin here since 3.30 waiting for you. The lads had been up since 1 oclock and on the road to Whitby not long after.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We set off just as it was getting properly light. Our first mark was to be some rough ground about 3 miles out of the Harbour. Also with us today was Pauls Son Philip (PhilK) who came up from London especially for the trip On the first drift we all had chance of fish, but it was Glenn who struck first with a nice codling of around 5 pounds. We stayed a while longer and all managed a fish or too, but it wasnt prolific.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Wind them up lads" came the shout from Paul, "were gonna do some wrecks on the 5 mile and come back in here when the tide turns". Paul explained that the flood tide was always better on the ground we were fishing, so we would return later in the day.

On the way out to the 5 mile wrecks, I had a natter with Glenn who explained that he likes to try different methods to catch the cod, so he would be trying a pirk on its own over the next wreck. Nick decided he would be trying bait and Geoff opted for a grenn/firetiger storm shad.

Not long after dropping onto the wreck, Glenn was the first into the fish. His decision to try the jigger had proved a good one and the nodding of his rod tip showed he had hooked into a decent fish. Seconds later it was Nicks turn on the bait and his rod also pulled into what looked to be another better fish. Not to be left out Geoff hit into a third fish within a few seconds.

As the fish came to the boat it was evident they were all a good stamp of fish. All pretty similar in size, and all over the magic 10lb size when later weighed.

[​IMG]

As the day progressed, we all managed a good few cod and plenty of decent ones to boot. Paul and Philip were unstoppable. Everytime I looked around one of them was into a fish. Paul fished the usual blue storm shad, whilst Philip tried a new colour (Shad) which is a silvery grey colour, both colurs worked well for them. To be honest I was totally outfished today by everyone else on the boat. I quickly became the butt of everyones jokes, with the usual comments of "have you got a hook on there ?" coming thick and fast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Around Mid morning we left the 5 mile wrecks and returned inshore to the ground we worked earlier. We fished side by side with Rich on Shytorque for a while, and once again the action was thick and fast with cod after cod coming to the surface.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As mid day drew closer, we headed right back inshore and did some mackerel fishing around the bell bouy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also on the rock top were a few local boats who were enjoying the sport of the mackerel and some decent cod to boot. We were back in Whitby not long after 12 and Paul and Philip had the task of filleting all the fish for todays guests; All in all another great days boat fishing at Whitby. Fingers crossed for some good weather for this weeks forum boat match.

[​IMG]

I would just like to say a big thanks to Glenn and the lads for letting me join them today, and also for offering to sponsor the forum boat comp. Cheers guys it was another nice day on the water.

2. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Good to see three different methods catching fish at the same time. Sort of proves the point that when the fish are feeding they will eat just about anything that is put in front of them.

3. x-generator

x-generator New Member

Going out on Trot on tomorrow - hopefully the change in weather wont effect the fishing too much! Hope it's as good as the day you had - some stonking fish you have caught :cool:

4. Baramundi Bob

Could you do us a favour mate, and do a report for us. We only ever get reports for 2 boats so it would be nice to get one from trot on.

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

Top stuff again Glenn and great pictures too :happy:

Paul seems to have put you onto a cracking stamp of fish these last few days and what a great gesture from Glenn offering to stump up £500 to sponsor the competition,

i've just had a quick look at the weather for this coming week and it really doesn't look too good,i hope it's wrong and you get a nice day :wink: :happy: tight lines

6. speno

speno Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Looks like a cracking day out with some nice fish mate.

7. Antony

Antony New Member

excellant report and photos,well done all of you.

8. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

great stuff lads, looks like you had a cracking days fishing

9. bigcod2

bigcod2 Blenny

Good report Glenn, shame about my mugshots!

10. great report guys hope the good cod bashing continues into july due on the chieftain for a 36hr trip

11. BigBen

BigBen New Member

Nice fish guys good to see the macky starting to arrive have they started been caught off the piers yet ?

12. Baramundi Bob

They were getting caught on the piers as eary as May. But with the current northrly air flow you havent much cance of them untill we get settled back into high pressure and suth westerlies. Looking at the forecast it could be a long time coming.

13. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

is that dave parrot with a nice big cod close to the shore glenn :confused:

14. Baramundi Bob

Thats the man himself Paul. Hes caught more doubles close in than most boat anglers can dream of

15. Baramundi Bob

only seems like yesterday

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

That was a right day glen back in the harbour round 12 and practically every box full I can see a bit more of that this summer .

Paul

17. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Well done men. May I ask what size jigger and the weight you used

18. Baramundi Bob

Another great day.