1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thornaby Angling Association?

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by mike_t, Jan 25, 2014.

1. mike_t

mike_t Jackson Kayak Team Member

Is anyone else a member? Just joined back up and it has been a very long time since I was in TAA.
    I used to love it around croft for Chubb and pike. They only had ascot ponds when I used to be in they now have a few, any info on the other ponds

2. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi mike,

I'm a member yes. I was there last weekend and managed a nice chub of nearly 4lb. The silverfish have all but moved downstream for the winter now, but chub and grayling are being caught. Come June / July, dace and perch that frequent the stretch will return once more.

Odd barbel being caught accidentally in matches so there must be some potential there once it warms up. And, although I haven't found them lately, there is some good pike fishing to be had.

River ure at kilgram bridge is good, and the catterick swale water is excellent at this time of year for grayling.

As for the ponds, well I don't bother with them after hearing some depressing reports. I'd be interested to know if you do catch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You'll be disappointed with Ascott and Cowpastures up at Gilling, Ascott is but a shadow of itself and Cowpastures is devoid of fish, the little pond they have up Stockton way is reckoned to be decent though

Think you'll be disappointed with the rivers as theres been no management of them for years, all the streamer weed that used to be at Kilgram and held those barbell chub and grayling has gone and theres large areas of the river that seem devoid of fish too mainly due I think to the reluctance of the fish to enter clear shallow water during daylight, still some good fishing to be had but you need the conditions right

Overall having been a member from years ago and turning up today I think you might have some thoughts as to the merits of membership of the TAA given the quality of fishing of yeaseryear compared to now

4. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The one at Norton??

I dont have a clue whereabouts mind

5. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That's the one

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

i fished the norton pond a couple of years ago and couldn't get anything other than small rudd, it was very dissapointing. mill lake at gilling is supposed to be ok and you do get some good fly fishing for trout early season on there

7. mike_t

Cheers for the replies. I started coarse fishing on Ascot and was looking forward to going back. Be taking my 4 year old son up there when it warms a bit.
    Loved kilgram bridge, used to fly fish it a lot. But it was a long long time ago. I will have a look at in the next month or so. Sooner for the pike
    Is sockburn still a good stretch? I remember it used to put out a lot of fish, especially chub and pike.
    The other one I can not wait to get on is pierce bridge always enjoyed that had some nice chub and grayling out of there

When I get out I will report back. Cheers, Mike

8. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Ascott ponds are only a shadow of what they used to be. They have suffered badly from otters over the last couple of years and the fish stock has been decimated, completely wiping out the carp. It's due for a restocking in February so watch this space. The weed can also be a problem, the club tried a blue dye to control it last year I've not been up since to know how effective it was.
    I've not met anyone that's fished the Gilling west ponds and had a good word for them. I went once and never had a sniff, as it takes me the best part of an hour to get there I've not been back as there's better fishing closer to home.
    Again the Tees is suffering with otters, I went up Piercebridge after grayling about a year ago with memories of big chub and nets full of grayling. I wandered the streach all day for two small grayling. There was otter tracks all over the banks.
    On the positive side the ATDAC ponds can give a good days fishing.

9. mike_t

Just been for a walk round Ascott and it needs a lot of work to the place. In a very bad state, pegs need repairing, paths need sorting bushes cutting. Not like it used to be. I may have a perch trip soon on pond 2. Used to get some nice perch 2lb+

10. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Thought I would try a few hours fishing at Ascott today seen as it was restocked the other month, it was hard going. All the swims are full of weed, if you fish any more than a foot to eighteen inches deep the hook just gets buried in the weed. It was a calm day and there were very few fish topping. After struggling on the first lake for a couple of hours and only a small perch to show for it I tried the second. Instant bites from the small roach. After several fish I returned to the first lake but tried a different swim. Feeding casters I managed to get a some fish swirling after them. Another couple of hours fishing, till the rain started, resulted in a small perch, a rudd, 8 small roach, 3 bream between 1-1.5lb a roach-bream hybrid about a lb and a 2.5lb Ide.
    Like I say it was hard going but enjoyable days fishing.

11. faulkus

faulkus Blenny

Disappointing to hear about Ascott. I used to spend so much time there as a kid in the mid 90's. Used to do well in the margins on the 2nd pond and stalking carp in the reeds on the 3rd. Was always good action on floaters. I also used to love the association water at Piercebridge for chub but it was fantastic for grayling on the fly in October.