1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boat Fishing this years tactics.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by navmanfish, Feb 14, 2018.

1. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Boat painted & all ready to go, tractor serviced, new beam wheels -brgs fitted.

rods,reels gear all ready.

whilst going through some old gear came across some s/s booms, so decided to use

set them up for shadding.

previous shadding method (and will still use) is to keep it simple & clip shad snood to top

eye of sinker swivel (known as "Whitby method")

any thoughts on your own methods? will boom enhance shad presentation?

on the bait front,

will be using up last couple of boxes of oyster meat, had it couple of years and it has had its benefits

when shore fishing, producing when mussel, cart,worm etc etc failed to tempt them.

lets hope we get some settled weather soon & long may it continue throughout the year.

2. Zetland

Zetland Blenny

The main plan of attack is to hopefully get more fishing in this year. My mate swears by booms, but I can tangle a Shad whatever method I use. I might go back to a slightly heavier rod this year.
    I haven't looked at the boat yet, I'll wait until the weather settles a bit.

3. blonde chris

blonde chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

For me the old fashion French booms are best ,use conventional,but I tye a rotten bottom on the lead and heavier on the shad works well for me

4. Mark

Mark Blenny

Hi Navman , where about do you launch from? Marske , saltburn or Redcar . I have a small boat myself but do I need a tractor to launch from the above spots. My in laws live in Marske . I’m asking because I’d like to try and get out from there .

5. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Marske sand very soft so you would need a tractor to get down and across the sand at the bottom of the high st

I launch mine from Redcar where the access is better and the sand much better (firmer) for getting across especially if using a car, I have a tractor but used to beach launch and recover using my car

6. brian carragher

I just tie my mainline to the top of the american snap and tie the snoods straight to the same eye but at 90 degrees to the mainline

Sort of 12 o clock for the mainline and 3/9 o clock for the snoods, dont use booms or anything and seem not to tangle up much at all unless the tides are really slack

7. brian carragher

Will go through the rods and reels again shortly, didnt get any use from them last year so wont take much freeing or sorting, no painting or faffing about with the boat this year, just intend using it and abusing it

8. navmanfish

Mark,

As Bri mentions marske is very "soft" in places & a few tractors have been for a swim.

You need to check how the sands move during various weather conditions, even the

"Lake" holes can catch inexperienced people out.

A small boat can be used at Redcar, saltburn on the firm sand even without tractor/car

We used to have a Orkney long liner & beach beam in the 70's seagull o/b balance all your

Gear over the beam/axle we found it OK to "walk" the boat down penny hole & launch.

Same for landing.

Some of the Sib users manage ,have a reccee when they launch Redcar etc.

9. navmanfish

Bri

I use same method looks like booms don't improve drop,presentation of shad in tide etc.

You can have your boat abused good style, tubs can come on a couple of trips with you

I'm making a mackerel gurdy so they can "strip" straight in the box for him,less mess

While I concentrate on real fishing.:)

10. brian carragher

Just fired up the tractor this afternoon Bry, first time I've started it up for about 6 months, maybe even more, took a bit of winding up though, did fire up and runs nice and smooth now but was a bit rough at first

Thats another thing off the to do list ready for the boating season to start

11. navmanfish

Good job done ,

Don't worry about rough start up after these cold spells as long as she ran OK walked up.

Oil bound to be a bit "thick" ,did you give it a run around park? Gear selector is "splash" fed so

Can become seized.

Ian did both our o/b pump impellors & set up auxiliary carb,grand job done &' reasonable price.

Got 2 lines in freezer ready ,need settled weather to get them crabbed off then serious fishing starts.