1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is how i prepare my fresh mussels

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by steven watt, Dec 12, 2012.

1. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

This is how i prepare my fresh mussels

hi lads got one more tip for you in a vid hears my link to youtube thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_ENUYKoE3w&feature=youtu.be

2. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

thats a cracking good way of makeing a simple job hardwork steven,just sharpen an old knife on both sides of the end, stick it in where the tail hangs out and run it back and forth,open up the shell and do the same on the other side.youve cut the mussel in half doing it your way and will be impossible to put on the hook correctly,hope this helps bb

3. steven watt

steven watt seafishing more

i have tried the normal way but the ones i got today from catch of the day was on the small side so when i opened them normal the meat wasnt very plump, so when i was scouping them out they fell the peices if you no what i mean, thanks for the tip

4. robq

robq Rockling

Bills right :yes: when you skein a mussel the shell should remain together when you do it right

The main white tendon that holds the shell together at the narrow end needs to severed from the shell on both sides NOT sliced in half !!

This keeps the mussels shape and easier to hook :wink:

Its a lot easier to do with live mussels and right shaped knife

5. Pugwash

Pugwash Blenny

Why bother taking them out at all? The fish don't, they feed on the ones which have smashed against rock,sea bed. Just crack the shell lightly, enough to feed a hook through, tie on with elastic. The juices flow out more slowly as well. Just a thought.

6. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

notsure if catch of the day is a fishmongers or not ,but i would not buy mussels from one in case they have purged them in fresh water.best to get them from a tackle shop that gets themfrom the wash area.

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

fair play for putting up your video and if it works for you then thats fine. However , you are making a fresh bait frozen. surely it would be better fresh?

8. Rod

Rod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

You will also be on all day doing a bucketfull at that rate.

9. woody

woody New Member

poor lad ,,, id take this as constructive criticism , if it works for u keep doing it ,, i seen the vid about the worm very good idea but doesnt it also wash the worm out ? cheers woody

10. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

- catch of the day is a fishmongers, and i know the owner very well, and he dose not do anything with them at all, so buy with confidence

11. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

When i do mine. I put them on a baiting needle and wrap with elastic and make a long sausage and just chop off what i want.

12. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Same as.

13. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Another method is to whip them onto straws & cling film

them , i normally cut a straw in half, whip mussel on

wrap them, use on day or freeze.

just use straw like a baiting needle & push mussel up around

hook gape & up shank.

14. imonlycoddin

imonlycoddin Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

alrite then lads this is how i do mine, dont know if its a good way but seems to work. i first open all the fresh mussels then put then in2 ice cube trays and freeze them. wen ther froze just pop them out the ice trays and rap them in clingfilm, like you would cart and put back in freezer for wen u wanna use them. wen i go fishing i keep them in a flask to keep um froze, then just mould them round your hook and whip on with bait elastic and puncher in holes b4 casting to let the juices out. this way you can put abig mussel bait on with ease and little mess. wot you think lads?

15. I do something similar except Iwrap them in a cut up cheapy dishcloth...the fine holes let the juices out

Cheers

U