1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking Outside The Box & The Myths In Sea Fishing ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Admittedly its hard to think out the box, but the older I get the more I begin to realise that what I believe and what I have been told is not always the truth. This has got me thinking that we must as anglers think outside the box.

In the past few years we have seen the advent of a fantastic new shore fishing bait, one that likely wasnt used much at all in the past, but one which has become one of, if not the very best bait for cod fishing on our coast - Cart. If it wasnt for 1 or 2 anglers thinking outside the box, its highly likely that a lot of you would never have experienced the type of fishing you have in the past 10 years and many of you would never have seen a double figure shore cod.

10 years ago, perhaps less, I and many others would have laughed with you if you said you can catch good bass off the rocks, on plugs of all things. Again if it wasnt for a couple of anglers like Dav and GJW actually having the balls to give it a go, then we may never have even realised what was on our doorsteps. Again it was all about thinking outside the box, taking the cod goggles off.

Porbeagle Sharks - Off whitby, and catchable in good numbers - Dont Be Stupid !! But Rupert taught us different. Casting baits 100 yards plus with 16ft rods, fixed spools and braid brought good fishing to many who could never have done it with heavy mono, Andy Crowe And Steve I'anso brought us this great advance.

Fishing from kayaks - Madness. But quint showed us different. Massive pollack close to shore catchable on livebaits and plugs. 150 pollack in a couple of hours, upto 10 pounds, who would ever have believed these fish swam as close to 50 yards from the shore in summer. We have right here one of the very best pollack fisheries in the whole country.

So Thats just a few of the myths, advances and great fishing opportunities we have seen in the last 10 years. Many of you would never have heard about many of them if it wasnt for the internet, but thats a different debate completely. The north east has some of the best pioneering anglers anywhere in the UK. Thinking outside the box has taken everyones fishing experience forward in the next few years.

whats to come next ??

2. anth the angler

anth the angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Two futures here:

1. Help with the casting

2. The size of gut you get from the lack of exercise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PX74gr9RM

3. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Can I get one before ship open Sunday. Lol

4. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi glen. Thinking outside the box. How many of you in your area use bait for bass. I only ask cos it really opened my eyes in Wales as to how close bass work the shore line. In the day and age of massive casts for cod it really is hard to lob a big peeler bait 10 yards. It feels wrong if u get what I mean until the tip slams over and the rod is nearly ripped from your hand. I know you lads keep your peeler frozen for winter, but give the bait a try in summer u won't be disapointed ... I know the first place I will try and that will be shot stones. It really does look good

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Hi Simon,

A few of the lads do try bait in Summer and have had a limited amount of success. Shotstones is certainly a mark that has thrown out bass to bait before today. Sadly is one of the most fished marks as well, probably cos its easy to get to. There are other places worth trying, but personally speaking bait fishing does little for me. No substitute for a light rod and few plugs.

6. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

anybody started kite fishing yet?

7. simon22

simon22 Rockling

I know what your sayin glen. On the east coast your bass fishing with bait seems to be done with beach casters and heavy grip leads cos of tides. I too love light line bass fishing and on the welsh coast the marks i fish can be done so with a catp rod or even heavy barbel rod anything with a 1and half pound test curve. I have never had to use a lead above 3oz mate. If u have to fish heavy tackle with bait its no fun. I will give u my marks on sunday glen so if u get over that way u can give then ago. I swear mate with a very light rod and lead its fantactic. I am takin tony in april this year and he is finding it hard to get used to the fact he wont need beach caster 6oz of lead and heavy line......

8. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Have sent u pm glen

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Nobody used shads glen here out of whitby jiggers and hokias were the norm then i useing them and the results were unbelivable and started to hammer the fish on shads on sea-otter 1 word soon got out as it does on the net especially when you are posting pictures it reverlutionized boat fishing off this coast and improved catch rates and also brought much ligher tackle into play as the norm .

paul.

10. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Who know's what's next but this has made me wonder a few times. Anyone ever tried float fishing for cod at night in some of the close in spots that only need a shortish cast? Could be fun with a fairly light rod? Have often wondered if it would work and can't see why not? May need a bit of tinkering to get it right but should be possible? Would they be put off by a glow in the dark float?

Right time to get back in my box!

11. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Imo. Dont think they would be put off by float but not sure it would work unless cod are chasing sprats up in the water and you were usin live baits.....people will disagree but cod do like a bait nailed on sea bed unless as said havin lives. Even shad fishing i would say 99per of fish hooked are done so with in 5 turns of reel handle.. i may be wrong but thats how it has seemed to me. Now shads from the shore. We know they work on the boats so y not from the beach if on the sprats

12. TheNorthSea

TheNorthSea Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have taken cod on the float to the 3-4lbs mark using ragworm fished about mid column although this was on a perfect summers day.

13. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Re: Thinking Outside The Box & The Myths In Sea Fishing ??

I've had cod on shads/lures from the shore but this was in the deep water near aberdeen

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Thinking outside of the box ! I don't think I have ever thought inside the box , many years ago cliff fishing was restricted to not many venues and anglers , now its quite popular Im pleased to say , clipping on a weighted baited trace and sliding it down your line giving perfect presentation , the opportunity to use a fish grab for cliffs / piers / breakwaters is there but why they haven't grown in popularity amazes me , a lot more big fish would have been landed , poles and pulleys more lightweight materials are there to be used just let the imagination run riot ---- A vast amount of choice
    on hooks , size and quality , all sorts of gadgets to use on your terminal rigs [ But for me simplicity is best ] and has been mentioned float fishing for cod even on a night for me you wont even have to see the float bites will be registered with a good pull ----- Trying new places at different stages of the tide
    and yes theres places between here and Whitby that have never been touched , theres plenty of anglers out there nice lads BUT are like trains --- they only go where the track takes them , its a lot more interesting when you go off the piste ,

15. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Fairy lights on me rod..... now there's an idea.. :D
    OOh sorry I misread it. :)

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

fishing in the pitch black of night with black lures,who would have thought it ,and catching big bass on them, then we were introduced to light rock fishing with tiny rubber lures and tiny baits ,

great stuff 8)

17. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just try any pier, every rod already has a fairy light :D

18. Rockford

Rockford Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Big Cliff and me in our Last of the Summer Wine years have put a fishing Kite out over 800 yards off Marske Beach. You young ones should give it a try. You never Know until you try.

19. cleeclive

cleeclive Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The internet forums are the driving force behind this, our mark has had a lot of success float fishing for bass in the Humber from the Kayak, and I have caught on a float from the beach letting it drift out in an offshore breeze. We have also caught good bass on Yozuri lures trolling from the kayaks in the Humber, ideas that would have been thought of as totally daft a few years back.
    Mind you when I first mentioned the idea of buying kayaks to fish in the humber about 6-7 years agoour Mark reconed I was a daft old git and and reckoned it could never be done.
    Look where he is now, flying the Jackson flag and landing a cod of over 18lbs from the Bristol channel just before Christmas.
    Although you say the internet is another topic Glen these forums give us the opportunity to do a lpt of brain storming and sharing ideas. Some of us actively get involved and others are like the old radio operators on the trawlers and just wig in to what is going on and then develop their own ideas and strategies in the background.

The thing is that the forums have bought a whole new dimension to the sport and put it on a global footing, with both instant catch reports and the exchange of ideas and tactics.

It makes the hobby much more interesting, widens our horizons and develops new friendships, and you and your many sidekicks who have developed and run the forums are the people that we have to thank for that

Happy New Year and good fishing for 2014 eveyone

Cleeclive

20. cps

cps Rockling

shads, been using them for 13 or 14 years at least, since I first went to the usa and bought a few to have a go with
    same at filey no one would use them at first but plenty do now
    as for cart not something I use myself but did try it a bit about 20 odd years ago when I struggled to get enough peelers [ don't get any more peelers just fish less now lol] often wondered if any one else used it then I never told a sole about it I know mont was using it around the same time as he asked me my thoughts on it, but don't think there was many more then using it