1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of joining a new club.

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by bobthedog, Apr 11, 2018.

1. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

It's a lot of years since I gave up my Leeds & District Amalgamation ticket and just wondering if any of you out there that are members could advise whether it's worth joining again. Primarily I would be looking to fish the Ouse, Swale & Nidd, what do their sections fish like these days? Are the sections under fished & overgrown to the point where it's a real chore to get to the swims? I ask this as I have now crossed the 60 barrier but still enjoy my river fishing over the carp puddles that have sprung up all over these days. Don't get me wrong I do fish the carp ponds occasionally but find chub & barbel fishing on a river more rewarding.

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think Basha is a leeds member, if he sees this then Mark will give you a heads up, hes a river angler as am I but I'm not in Leeds

Somewhere where you might get an answer to your question is here Home | Teesside Angling

Some names on there you might recognise, some good info too regarding river angling as most if not nearly all the lads are river anglers

3. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Thank's for the reply Brian, I've not seen that forum before. I do quite a bit on the Tees association water & Northallerton's stretch on the Swale. For my sins I'm on the committee of the elusive Guisborough club. Just looking for more decent river fishing not to far away.

4. brian carragher

Whereabouts do you live then?

5. brian carragher

Used to be a committee member on Thornaby but these days just a member of Stockton and Yarm clubs, both got cracking waters and ATDAC as well and a number of ponds to go at, ATDAC and Yarm have two a piece with both Yarm still waters being very decent tench waters

The tees still throws up some very good fish for those that put the effort in

6. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Stockton is another club I'm considering. I'm in Thornaby but only for the ATDAC ticket as I think they are only interested in the Gilling West ponds at the expense of their other waters. Ascott is only a shadow of what it used to be, had a go last year & the platforms are dangerous. The only fish I caught were from one small shoal that kept swimming past. I've been helping out with all the work on the ATDAC ponds hopefully it will make a difference. I used to be in Yarm years ago but dropped it when they got the club house as it's no use to me living in Guisborough & I felt that I paid my money for fishing and not somewhere to drink.

7. brian carragher

Stockton is real value for the money, just going up this morning to pay my subs and join a new member as it happens

Some cracking river stretchs have Stockton but I know a lot join soley for the ATDAC ticket as its cheaper to pay their subs than Thornaby's or Yarms or Brown Trout, the ATDAC ticket remaining the same regardless of which club you buy it from and regardless of how much each individual club charges for subs, can pick up an application form if you want one, I'm only down the road in Redcar

8. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Thank's for the offer, I know a couple of lads in the club that will nominate me & they said I should just apply online. With falling club membership for all clubs I did put some feelers out to see if I could get Guisborough into ATDAC, yes was the answer but the club would have to stump up £30k. A definite no go for a little club like ours.
    I neglected the tees for quite a few years in favour of Northallerton's stretch of the swale, it's easier to put a good bag of chub together as well as a few barbel. Started fishing the Sockburn loop area again a few years back and was surprised at the number of quality pearch round there. Been up to Piercebridge a couple of times and found it almost devoid of fish. I remember going up just after the water was acquired and bagging up on quality grayling & dace. It's a constant learning curve on the rivers not like the carp puddles where you're almost guaranteed to catch.

9. basha

basha Blenny

now then bud.

I'm in both leeds and Bradford number 1.

leeds for me is top value with no extra joining fee's.55 quid sorts you out.for me it has the best beats on the swale....topcliff/ asenby and a very lightly fished section along skipton.your spoilt for choice on the other rivers mentioned also.ure/nidd and wharfe.its one club I have joined for over 30yrs now......Bradford number 1 is another fantastic club with one of the top beats for barbell and a good chance of a double figure fish £50.00 plus xtra joining fee of £20.00,thornton bridge.again all your other rivers as above and sections of canals and plenty of stillwaters to boot...Bradford number 1 also has raskelf a Stillwater just off the a19 on route to helperby,one of the finest coarse lakes in the area,and a bonus it isn't stocked with mud pigs.one of very few waters were you can catch crucians on piece and a fair few clonkers.tench/roach/perch/rudd/f1's/barbell/and the odd king strain of carp left from the old stock,but an absolute gem to fish.my money if your not after the tees which for me is a pain on the lower reaches now with seals and rod averages have dramatically reduced in the waay of decent skimmers/bream/roach.it was only a few seasons ago we were taking close to 100lb bags from certain stretches,long gone are thoughs seshions.ive always been a swale man stickying for chub n barbell.im still in Middlesbrough angling club for likes of hutton/marske aswell as a few midlands clubs for the trent etc.....check leeds out you wnt be disappointed.

10. brian carragher

Oh Shit..............

Came close to joining Bradford No.1 a while back, you've just rekindled my interest

11. bobthedog

bobthedog Blenny

Thanks for that, like I said I used to be in leeds back in the 80s & early 90s mainly fishing Topcliffe wear and the big slack at Asenby when there was flood in. In those days they also had a stretch of the swale at the mouth of Bedale beck again handy when the swale was in flood as the fish ran up the beck. They also had stretches on the Rye & Dove as well, nothing big out of them but fun traveling light. Packed in Middlesbrough around that time as well.
    I'm with you for stick fishing for chub & barbel don't think you can beat it. All these so called angling programmes on tv dedicated to the "art" of carp fishing have a lot to answer for. The up side is less people are willing to wander the river banks leaving more room for the likes of us.

12. basha

basha Blenny

the stretch of the swale were cod beck comes in is now Bradford city.they have the opposite bank too leeds at asenby,it runs upstream to opposite the sewage treatment works and downstream below cod beck to opposite the old sheep hills....the sticky wnt be and cant be beaten on its day and 9 times out of ten will outfish any other method,caster n hemp a deadly mix.ive recentely over the past few seasons when temperatures have dropped below zero,targeted chub on the swale at thornton bridge,it can be rather patchy and if you know the pegs can be well rewarded with some prime winter swale roach.it was just on the off chance I was running flake under a float 8ft over depth,old streg peg style when I kept getting bites I couldn't hit.i reduced hook and bait size down to a wee pinch of bread and discovered they were prime roach,something I hadn't targeted on the swale before,although I have had the odd one when targeting bream on the old black bull ticket stretch at topcliff in the early 90's......get no1 joined up bri,you know it makes sense.i was in yarm many moons ago when I was on the match scene,its just not for me now,far too much of the lower tees.ideal suppose if your after winter piking suppose but as mentioned to many seals for my liking and even the match weights are lower.thornaby again to much of the tees.i have enough of the tees on my boro ticket and for half the price of the other two clubs.besides rather be sat on the swale/ure and nidd.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  13. basha

basha Blenny

not sure if your aware,but bedale beck is free fishing on some of it and at the moment cod beck is free on the old thirsk stretches as thirsk angling club folded,so if when the season opens and things havnt changed its well worth a visit to cod beck through thirsk,some cracking fishing.used to fish bedale beck a lot yrs back some cracking sport on the sticky.