1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Zonk Bass Lures - Whats So Special

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

So whats the run down with the zonk ? whats so special about them ? what price are they and who sells them (Links please). Also what colours are people using ?? and what is there full name ??

2. newdave

newdave Guest

cant be bling else the Moleman wouldn't be wasting his hard earned cash on them, I belive they cost 5 moles each :whatever:
    I did here that Ranrod got his by accident, Ian asked him what he wanted for his silver wedding & misheard the reply :wink:

3. Baramundi Bob

Anyone got any pictures of them ?

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

:laugh: :laugh: yes I asked for plonk! :whistle:
    The best way I can describe them glenn, is they are a shallow diver but give you the same tip movement as a sliver gives when trolled on the yak. They cost £20 or are free depending on how long you have been married :cheesy: The vane is hinged and vibrates the plug on retrieval. They are prone to damage far too easily though.

5. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Veals and Graham Hill sells them but I believe they are both out of stock

Ramrod's right about the action, very aggressive, but they also keep down in the killing zone, near the edge, in lively seas, whereas the Marias etc tend to get lifted out by the waves, it's a pity about the vain, maybe needs tweaking a bit, but in lively seas I wouldn't like to go bassing without one, I think Dav hit the nail on the head last year, plugs are your bait and therefore only have a certain shelf life, folks that are serious about plugging accept that in the course of a season there will be casualties

6. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Not sure anything is that different about them, except maybe the two little holes on their back that supposedly create a trail of air bubbles. The standard zonk has a fixed vane, the Gataride has the hinged one. The gataride's vane's a pain, you might say, but maybe it's what gives them their action? The Gatarides come in two flavours, Hi Pitch and Yoro-Yoro, with one running shallower than the other, as this pic from Graham Hill's shop shows:

[​IMG]

The one I've been using is the Hi-Pitch version, which i think runs a bit deeper (better suited to the kayak I thought). Their actions is a sort of fast side to side wobble. Think Graham's still got a few of the sinking variety in some bizarre colours for £20 delivered. Basslures.co.uk have also got them at £21 plus postage.

Hope you're feeling flush. :no:

7. seanyrooroo

seanyrooroo Pig Hunter

8. loughman

loughman Team Kaskazi

Try googling mrjerseyfish.That site has a selection.Also there are one or two on fleebay but they are located in japan/korea.That said delivery was within 7 days & prices cheaper than here.I will post pics of the ones I have once Ive uploaded them to photobucket.
    Steve
    here we go..[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] "THE EYES SAY IT ALL"

9. Dav

Dav Rockling

Ive been tempted me self to invest in one , but the price is putting me off and with the reports of the vane flipping above the stop i just carnt bring me self to get one ....maybe one day ...

10. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I night a couple of these last year they are good plugs really good action and like ray said rod tip goes well the won with gartraide is a shallow diver the one with a fixed bib is a slow sinking plug witch goes down about 6 foot I think the action is the same as the shallow 1

11. Baramundi Bob

So whats the chance of me getting a couple of these Zonks to review for the site with a link back to the providers shop ??

12. loughman

loughman Team Kaskazi

Bob I hope I get a chance to review these first hand this weekend with a nice plump bass hanging off one :pray: :pray: :pray:

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Nice try mate! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

14. Baramundi Bob

Watch this space Kester. The site bass section is number one in google (Type in bass fishing) so a couple of free plugs would be a good exchange for a bit of free advertising - surely ??

15. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

You might be right. But from what I gather from Graham is that he can't sell them fast enough. Maybe he doesn't need advertising?

Veals on the other hand... are a different kettle of fish. They use Henry Gilbey to advertise all their plugs - so they might be up for it.

16. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Glenn if you know where to look you can get 2 for £30.00

17. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Which is?