1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Whitby Bass Club - Our Day At The Bell Trophy

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Whitby Bass Club Report

[​IMG]

The Whitby Bass Club were initially formed some years ago, and existed of a small group of friends who started Bass Fishing on The Yorkshire Coast. The initial members were Mike Marshall, Dan Bennett, Damo Townsend and myself Glenn Kilpatrick. Over the years more members have joined the club and our membership now totals around 30.

[​IMG]

Over the past few years the ladds have had great fun fishing locally from shore, boat and kayak, we have also taken several Holidays to Scotland where we have had some fantastic catches including bass, pollack, many types of wrasse, spurdogs, coalies, bull huss, ling, conger and even shore caught Tope to 45lbs.

[​IMG]

The emphasis of the Club has always been "fun whilst fishing", we also have many social occasions through the year which includes meals out at our club house - The Humble Pie And Mash. Our aim is to continue to have fun, both socially and whilst fishing..

The group were very grateful to the organisors of The Bell trophy for offering us the opportunity to take part in this years Inter club fishing match on The Yorkshire Coast. The invitation gave us the opportunity to have most of our friends in one place since we last met up on The Isle Of Skye in summer 2013.

On Saturday afternoon Joe Kirkham headed up to Whitby from his home in Manchester, Kev Knowles took the short trip up the road from Hull, and Miff headed up from Lilford which apparently is some sort of posh village dawn sarf.

Unfortunately our best angler, Mark Ladds could not join us as he is the local Vicar here in whitby and has other work to do on Sundays. Its a shame that most local matches are on a Sunday as that counts Mark out of the group.

The fun and games began with a night out in Whitby on The Saturday night. Thankfully I managed to stay sober and get most of the ladds home to bed before midnight.

[​IMG]
    Left to Right - Kev From Hull, Merv Hughes, Damo Farmyakker Townswend, #shepsmam, and Joe Kirkham.

Sunday morning started early, with the ladds meeting at Scarborough at 8.30 am. A quick bacon sarnie and a coffee before the bell tolled and the ladds set off for their marks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ladds had been discussing tactics all week and those confident of cod were to head off onto the rocks whilst those not so sure had decided to go scratching on Scarborough Pier. Every fish would count today as the winner is decided by the total club weight divided by the number of club members - ie the greatest average. To maintain secrecy, When asked where they would be fishing the lads made the usual remark of "Just out there !!" before heading off into the rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#shepsmam
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Before our matches, or whilst oooot on the tap, the lads allways stay supple before the kick off with a few warm up movements including the customary Bass Club Lunge

[​IMG]

Meanwhile on Marine Drive, Lobbers and The 2 Mikes were getting ready for the off. This mark was a lot more tricky to get onto and thankfully Lobbers came prepared with his ladders and rope :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The match kicked off at 10am with the four hour match finishing at 2pm followed by the weigh in and Bell trophy Presentation at the Scaborough anglers social Club

The ladds on Scarborough pier were soon into fish with Billet and Dabs going into the bag (all fed to Kev's cats after the match). Sadly the fish were quite small so we needed some cod to boost up the team weight. A quick phone call to Farron fishing at Sailors Grave in Cayton bay confirmed we had 3 cod in the bag with Faron, Damo and Dan having one a piece. However this was not such good news as Niel Ingliss fishing for the official Whitby Club had 7 cod in his bag. I guess the cream always rises to the top and no doubt Niels experience was paying dividends at Cayton, but it wasnt the news we wanted to hear as a team.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Round at Marine Drive Lobbers had done as promised and delivered the goods. The two Mikes had struggled with 1 between them but Lobbers managed 4 codlings in the bag and was busy playing out a paddle border as I arrived..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To be continued ...

2. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

What a brilliant report :)

A picture paints a thousand words is so very true.

3. ch1pp1e

ch1pp1e Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Great report thanks for sharing it with us :)

4. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Good read!

5. congerball

congerball Blenny

Great read. Looks like everyone's having a laugh!

6. glassback

glassback Blenny

looks like you all enjoyed it glen
    i think thats the best way a club should be run
    good mates having a good time

7. jason131972

jason131972 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

great read,and looks like a great club too 8) 8) 8)

8. An excellent read

Cheers

U

9. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice one Glenn, entertaining write up mate. Had a top day and enjoyed reading the report. Roll on the non casting match.

10. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

Nice one Glenn...great pics.

What a great point very well put Andy. Shame that at times it seems club fishing is a life or death matter instead of fun. Maybe the Whitby Bass club will be the start of things to come 8)

11. david blake

david blake Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice read Glenn and some great pics :)

12. WillW

WillW Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Loved that Glenn, looking forward to the next instalment....:)

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk 2

13. Baramundi Bob

Wont be long will. Lots more pics, just need time to upload. Been working a lot on getting the Real Whitby Facebook group established but will find time to sort out the bass club bell trophy weigh inn report.

14. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

'I might have to cut it's head off!'
    Cannot believe you guys remembered that.
    ;D
    Funny.
    Unless you were there, of course!
    :mad:

15. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Very good Glenn, but can the club members actually catch bass??? Do you want the Softies to spank you again this summer???

16. Baramundi Bob

Iain in the last Kayak match we kicked your arse and then you ran scarred of us all year and never organised the Next match.

Southern softies and bass matches are deffo on the agenda next summer and I have another wonderful new format in mind for the bass ones which means we kick your arse again.

17. Baramundi Bob

Was funny for us that. Its on the start of our video. Have you seen it ??

18. Baramundi Bob

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Next up for the Whitby Bass Club, orgainsed by Lobbers - The "No Casting" Match.

Watch this space

19. quint

I love your use of hyperbole, although I agree you beat us, you can hardly say we had our ass kicked, we ran scarred cause of the midges and the landlord of the Slaughtered Lamb - we have beefed up our team this year, we welcome Brewster and Jet, 2 patterdales that are in the middle of their intesive training, to sniff out bass lairs and Whitby testicles, the latter of which they rip out and digest, although I doubt you Neadethals will miss them

20. quint

Sounds interesting, please share, all formats have to be agreed, mmm.....let me guess, wrecks?