1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Pollack Are Here - Kayak Fishing At Sandsend

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

Its been a long spring and early summer. My attention has been on things other than fishing for quite some time.

I have been busy setting up my photography business - www.whitby-photography.com and Ive been doing various projects on the coast other than fishing. For some strange reason i seem to have turned into Bill Oddie and Im spending half my life watching birds Of prey on the local Coastline and on the moors. Its strange how your life can change across time. Ive gone from fishing almost every day to fishing only a handful of times in a year now.

In late May I was up on Skye with my friend Andrew Miff Smith. The Holiday was part fishing and part photography, and in the end the weather really dictated on the fishing front, with only 2 days from the 7 really being pleasant enough to fish.

The first day on Skye was nice, with a slight wind and we tried some new marks that I hadn't fished before around Balmaqueen.

I had a 3 hour session on the rock ledges there near the sea stacks and for roughly 90 minutes the fishing was phenomenal. Basically it was a pollack a cast for the whole 90 minutes. Then they were gone. For those who pollack fish Im sure you recognise that scenario.

The following days the weather took a serious turn for the worse. On some occasions we were literally housebound, but when your on Holiday and you have the beautiful picturesque Kilmalaug bay outside the window, then who cares.

It was the back end of the week before we fished again. But the Friday was stunning, and when you get calm windless days on Skye it feels like you have died and gone to heaven.

It's roughly a month since I got back from Skye and I hadn't fished at all until Friday night of this week. Myself and Mike had been doing a lot of Photography together, and Mike suggested we get the kayaks out, which we did for the first time on Friday.

Those who kayak fish will know your usually rusty on the first few outings. As the local tackle shop has no tip eyes I had to manufacture something for my kayak boat rod. That lasted all of 10 minutes on the water so I had to fish with my Spinning rod.

Although its nice to fish light, I find the spinning rods just to light and I dont believe 1 and 2 ounce lures work as well as the 4 and 5 ounce lures Im more use to.

We fished out of Upgang at First and managed some half decent cod between us. We then shifted on to the rock top at Whitby in search of a Pollack or 2.

I did manage to hook into something quite large at one point and the bushwhacker was certainly put to the test. But the fish got the better of me and was gone.

All in all we had a half decent night with perhaps a dozen cod and pollack between us both. Not a big catch but these days Im happy to be out there regardless of the fish.

On Saturday Mike phoned me mid afternoon and asked if I fancied a Kayak session after the pollock at Sandsend.

Ive always believed that July, August and September are the best months for local pollack, but we are almost into July now so we decided to have a good.

We fished the whole area from Sandsend to Kettleness. The fishing was pretty good and we managed about a dozen pollack each and a few codling which took the lures.

As always I fished my favourite plugs the Yo Zuri crystal Minnow Floaters, and as always they didnt fail and we got some nice fish. I also fished the savage gear sandeels and had some success on those too.

Below are a few pictures and a short video of our kayak sessions. Ill also try find some pics from Skye and Upload those too.

Glenn Kilpatrick Whitby Sea Anglers (1 of 1)-4.jpg

Glenn Kilpatrick Whitby Sea Anglers (1 of 1)-2.jpg

Glenn Kilpatrick Whitby Sea Anglers (1 of 1).jpg

Glenn Kilpatrick Whitby Sea Anglers (1 of 1)-3.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice one Glenn, glad to see you get your mojo back, you'll be wondering how and why you stopped within a couple of trips, nice way to start the season with some cracking pollock fishing

• Like Like x 1
  3. jc

jc Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

cracking report bud nice fish

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glenn Kilpatrick

• Like Like x 1
  5. brian carragher

If you've morphed into Bill Oddie, do I take it as read that you've been snuggling up to Kate Humble on a cold night?

6. brian carragher

I do like those Skye photo journalist events you put up, simply unspoilt and stunning and fishing to die for

• Like Like x 1
  7. Glenn Kilpatrick

On the bad days we stayed in. This was the typical view from the cottage window. That Rainbow appeared in the same place on about 4 days out of 7.

Glenn Kilpatrick Whitby Sea Anglers (1 of 1)-5.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Glenn Kilpatrick

One of the Pollacking Marks at Balmaqueen. It really doesnt get a lot better than that.

Glenn Kilpatrick Whitby Sea Anglers (1 of 1)-6.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Glenn Kilpatrick

If someone asked you to describe the perfect Pollack mark then this would surely be it. Nice ledges to fish from near sea level.

A very narrow band of Kelp and rock very close in and then a shelf into 40ft of water. Its not like a lot of north east coast marks here where you have 50 yards of rock and kelp to drag fish over.

This is deep water at your feet, meaning you can fish much lighter more sporting gear and not risk loosing fish into rocks and kelp beds.

Some of these places like the place we caught the big Skate are 100ft plus right at the edge. And just look at that water clarity. This is May and I dont think it ever colours up.

Glenn Kilpatrick Whitby Sea Anglers (2 of 2).jpg

• Like Like x 2
  10. davidwwalker

davidwwalker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for another great report Glenn.Always an enjoyable read.

11. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

tackle shop has no tip eyes

if you are near Keiths sports at saltburn

dan has a full box of every size, make even those roller tips.

hot melt also ,if you take rod tip hell oblige.

excellent post more than makes up for your sabbatical.

12. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Never fished that spot, but definitely want to.
    That looks magic.
    Great picture too.

Will check it out next time I am up.

Is this north of Kilmalaug, or south?

13. Carrsythecod

Carrsythecod Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Glen, what depth are the yo zuri fishing at? I thought they were quite a shallow diver? Are the pollack coming up and taking them just sub surface? Presumably that sandeel is fishing deeper?