1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The new 8 stranded braids

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Dav, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Has anybody used power pro super slick or daiwas 8 strand braid . Thinking about giving one of them a try this season for plugging for bass and river fishing for salmon/seatrout . i normally use 30lb power pro for salmon and 20lb for bass but thinking of meeting half to use for both fish . i think the newer lines have a thinner diameter so might have to step up in poundage if thats the case .
    Are the newer 8 stranded braids really as good as they make out ?

2. BeeceUK

BeeceUK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Dav,

The Daiwa 8 strand in 20lb is supposed to be pretty weak and heard stories of people snapping it like cotton. That Power Pro Slick 8 looks pretty nice, Im thinking or respooling my plugging reel with it this year, had 2 years out of the standard Power Pro and no probs at all, strong as old boots.

3. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

dav,

the power pro 8 strand is the same diameter to the standard stuff.

it is very smooth and casts like a dream. we sell it in the shop and is also on our website.

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

Cheers beece , yeah suposed thats the reason why its best to go on the thickness of the line rather than the poundage .
    Thanks Dan ill have a gander looks like the power pro slick is on the cards .

5. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Haven't seen the new Powerpro Super 8 but it does get decent reviews.

Going to try it on the LRF set up this year,not too happy with the lighter "normal" Powerpro I use at present ( my mate has had the same problem with the braid twisting) .

I have this on one of my bass set ups and its lovely stuff to use.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YGK-P-E-Line-Real-Sports-G-Soul-WX8-Ultra-150m-25lb-/140941242271?

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Just had a look on your site Dan and it says the 20lb and 33lb are out of stock ? .Do you know the thickness of them Dan ? doesnt it come in a strain in between 20lb and 33kg .
    Cheers

7. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

Diawa 8 strand in 30lb is very good and strong , but like someone said the 20lb is a tad weak.

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thanks Andy . Quite fancy the power pro like just thought i might of been able to get somthing around the 25lb for low water river fishing and bass.. altho ide be ok with 20lb for the bass maybe even 15lb at a push .
    ideally ide like to go as light as 20lb in the river but it takes far to much stick for my liking . and think the 33lb is a tad to thick especially when the water starts to loose its tinge .
    What about abrasion resistance . is the 8 strand more prone to damage . maybe a 4 strand for rivers and 8 strand for bass ...Might have to win the lotto first tho :laugh: :laugh:
    Cheers

9. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

No abrasion problems with the 8 strand Dav plus the bright colour is an advantage when fishing in the dark around boulders/rocks.

10. mystic girl

mystic girl Blenny

Just loaded my Bass reel with 20lb power pro 8 strand, haven't used it yet (well just a quick go in the garden) but you can tell its quality, and by its unwillingness to cut I don't think its abrasion resistance is going to be a problem.
    Regards
    John

P.S I live in eternal optimism that one day I might find a Bass big enough to challenge the line.

11. robq

robq Rockling

I bought the daiwa in the bright green 15lb for HRF and bassing with soft plastics

First impressions were good with a very thin diameter.

However I found I got a LOT of wind knots with this line :whatever: even with my spool underfilled the same as I always do with braid.

It is very soft and limp compared to most 4 strands though so not sure if thats the reason ???

12. spruce

spruce Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Made the move to 8 strand braid a few years ago and am delighted with it. However, you need to take a little extra care to avoid wind knots. Firstly you need a decent reel. Shimanos/Daiwas etc are fine. Avoid "cheap" reels with braid, it can cause serious problems, especially with the 8 strand stuff. It has to be put on the spool very tightly and when in use it pays to make a long cast/pay out line and retrieve under tension every so often. Especially if you are fishing soft plastics with a twitching/sink n draw retreive. I use the YGK G Soul stuff, yes it is very dear but a fantastic casting/fishing braid. I think you need to do a lot of lure fishing to justify the expense of the top end 8 strand braids but they really are a superb aid to lure fishing.