1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The History Of Crab Cart As A Fishing Bait !!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mad mick

mad mick Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

1st i heard of cart was a old bloke i was fishing next to 11year ago at the british open. he was showing me the crack with it, i couldnt get it in my head that it could only get cast out frozen. good bait in the right place.

mick

2. cps

cps Rockling

recon more than 20 years ago since I first tried it, but you can think what you want I don't use it and have only used it on odd times, the day I had them
    fish in the ship open were all on peelers or possibly softy's

I always found it washed out to quick and tended to wrap a wing on top off a good dogger

I like doggers and used to use a lot of velvets when they were plentiful [ 15 years ago I could get 200 a tide in the right place once I sussed it out]
    I spend at least an hour crabbing for an hour fishing or used to when I had more spare time, tend to spend it chasing fish with teeth nowadays that actually pull line off the reel
    it takes a lot off effort to have a perfect sized crab for every cast you make in competition when you want to fish with crab that is , some anglers over look other baits ive seen mussel and squid catch fish out fish crab many times
    also venue has a lot to de with bait choice but that's where the skilful angler scores ;)

3. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

My feeling too chris. When theres plenty of fish and you need a quick releaee of scent its excelent. They woof it down and you get a hookup. Not so good on other days, and if there is lots of wrasse , coalies etc half the tine you are fidhing with no bait on. Ive had big fish and big bags on it but it is more of a back up bait to me.
    it does give a lot of lads access to a bait far superior than other baits they might sometimes use. The more its used the more fish it will catch.
    I certainly not caught in the euphoria surrounding it.

once again, if you refer to a match like the all england the top places were good anglers, knew their ground and will almost certainly not hsve bern using cart exclusively..

I dont think it has been a big secret either. You put your bait on then cast it out. If soneone asks you what it is you tell them if they dont, they dont get to know. If they refuse to tell you, thats a secret! I dont think that was the case, imo

4. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Well I believe it would take quite a pathetic, sad individual that didn't offer any help when someone next to them hooks a good fish, do such individuals exist? I use the word offer as sometimes it can be a hinderance, like the time I went down for Ray's 20lber on the drive, I saw the fish and thought why me! luckily clifftop"gazzelle"runner appeared from nowhere and scuffed her

5. smokey

smokey Rockling

Of all the places to have to go down to get a pig like rays,them accropods are one place you wouldn't choose.

I can imagine how you felt when you saw Pedro appear to snaffle it,him and crowey seem to have a knack of scampering around there landing fish.

6. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

Does the crab cart work on its own or wrapped with another bait on the hook too.. Never used it myself but gonna give it a go this season

7. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

i first heard of it / saw it in about 85 i think.... i was at the blue dolphin holiday park with some friends and i had took my fishing gear... a recently acquired diawa awb 129 i think... they were a new rod so if anyone knows when they came out then that is my first cart encounter :)

i managed to get away for a few hours to the brigg but was catching nowt of size and a bloke futher along was catching loads he was fishing with a massive back casting rod , it was the first time i had ever seen anyone cast that way i was transfixed....

it was him who gave me some cart which was fresh.... he showed me how to tie it on with cotton and showed me how to adapt my rig for a rotten bottom..
    i fished along side him for about an hour before he said it was time to go.... he did give me some more from his bucket but i must say it went to waste ....ended up in a bin at the blue dolphin!!!! ( if you are reading this after all these years ...sorry )

i never used it again for about 12 year then i got talking to a bloke on the blast ( seaham) and he said he was using a new bait... fresh edible crab guts!!! ....when i looked at it ..it was cart like i had used back at filey.... ;)

then after a break from fishing ( kid).... i started up again and fished south of the tees.... more often than north... and used it again.... then discovered this brilliant site...been on here for a few year ago now......
    but you would think it had just been discovered recently as certain sites as every post seems to be about it or asking about it haha ;D ;D

so like i mentioned... when the diawa amorheous whisker was pretty new was when i first used cart... a long time ago...

8. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

I've only been suing Cart for a few years, since I read about it on here :)
    It's worth emphasising again that Cart is NOT a magic bait - it won't turn a rubbish angler into an overnight successful one. I should know - I am that rubbish angler ;)

I've had quite a bit of success with it when uptiding from a boat, with squid and/or frozen blacks tied to the same hook - but from the shore I've not done well.
    That's easily explained though - I'm not good at finding fish in the first place, a problem for all of us who live inland and have to do a lot of guesswork about when and where to fish. When it comes to uptiding I rely on the skipper to find the fish and put me over them, THAT'S the hard part ::)

I was lucky enough to be invited shore fishing by Rich Cope (Mistress skipper) one night last winter and he eventually found the fish for us - I did manage to hook a decent codling on cart/worm but my reel jammed and I lost the fish :( . Rich had four or five in the last hour before we packed up - on peelers!

I learned a lot that night though, the main one being if you're not catching - go somewhere else! Don't keep hoping the fish will arrive - go and find them! It's pointless chucking bait into the water if there are no fish to take it. That's how Rich works when on his boat and he's exactly the same from the shore, always moving around until he finds the fish ;)

9. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Does anyone find that the ground you fish it over makes any difference? Obviously you lads fish the heavy ground south of the Tees, but the ground up my end (Sunderland) is a lot more mixed/clean. I'm planning on using it over the heavy ground at Whitburn this winter though, but I was just wondering if anyone had had success with it over clean ground.

10. go go gadget

go go gadget New Member

caught plenty of fish on both sand and hard ground on cart. always good quality though