1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The History Of Crab Cart As A Fishing Bait !!

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Oct 8, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

The first time I personally saw Cart used as a fishing bait was around 2005-6 when we fished a Yorkshire 4's Match against some of the lads from Filey Club. Fortunately on that occasion my Green Crabs ran true to form and I managed to win my match.

BUT it was a close call and I think the lad I was fishing (Who may or may not wish to identifiy himself) was only a pound or 2 behind me, plus he was fishing a mark he didnt even know existed untill I showed him it, so his bait really worked well for him that night. I think I had about 4 fish for close on 15lb and he managed a similar amount for about 12lb that night. The mark we were fishing was just below the Foghorn known as Hawsker Highlights.

Although that was the first time I had ever seen anyone use Cart, I had heard rumours of its use for over a decade before that.

I remember one evening talking to Niel Ingliss at a Whitby Club weigh in and he told me he had heard stories of some of the Scarborough Lads simply buying large edible crabs off the local commercial potters and then using the insides as bait.

I sort of didnt believe what I was hearing, as back in them days I knew everything there ever was to know about fishing, so it couldnt possibly be true. How wrong i was, Thankfully these days Im more open to the ideas of others and willing to think well outside of the proverbial Box.

In the following years the internet helped my fishing no end, and the ability to communicate with anglers across the country meant you could confer notes with fellow anglers right across the UK and even abroad.

I remember one specific email / pm exchange with a Scottish Angler from The Arbroath area who sort of confirmed what Niel had already told me.

Around that time, many of the local lads had been heading North Of The Border to fish the Fife open match in June. Each year lads from The North East had wiped the floor with The Scottish locals.

The guy I got talking to explained a strange sort of yellow and bright red bait cast out frozen, which was accounting for all the big bags in those open matches.

Around the same time we started to see this strange bait appearing in some of the local open matches down here.

I seem to remember one Ship Inn Open being won from Hawsker Middle Way with a cracking bag of fish and a double in the bag as well.

I think Paul Kilpatrick had been fishing the same hole that day and hadnt been able to buy a bite on his freshly dug blacks.

In the following years, we learnt the secret so many Scarborough Boys had allegedly kept secret for a decade or more.

A few of us got onto it and it was clearly a top bait, in the right place at the right time. Clearly there was times and places where it didnt work, and to this day there are places that I swear a cod wont touch it, but there are other places where it is absolutely deadly.

In the past decade the secret has well and truelly got out the bag and everyone is on The Cart. In many ways its made fishing a lot easier. A quality bait and its easy to source. However I remember my dispair when the bait became common knowledge.

As a match angler, any advantage you can gain over a fellow angler is worth its weight in gold. I remember anglers who couldnt catch a fish if a huge shoal was in front of them, suddenly started to catch. Cart seemed to put a lot of poorer anglers onto a level playing field with those who had been match winners in the past.

I think the secret was well and truelly out the bag when some anglers got Lazy, and rather than preparing there cart at home, started to carry half a dozen large edible crabs with them in bucket and insisted on breaking them open and putting the bait on the hook infront of lots of other anglers. Before long, the best kept secret in fishing was finally known to everyone.

So thats my take on The Evolution of Cart as a fishing bait. Im sure Ive got some bits wrong, and Im certain there are many anglers here who can fill in the gaps and add their own stories.

So what do people think ?? How close to the mark is my story ??

What Is Cart ?? read About It here !!

2. smokey

smokey Rockling

I still dont know to this day why I didnt snap that piggy off I went down to get for you :D ;) ;)

I learnt a bit that night glenn and you gave me plenty of info on the area 8) 8)

I think ive been back to that mark once with our kid but conditions werent great.

First time I saw cart being used was phil france rocking up down salt pans , cloughton in the john smiths match, he was an hour late and still plssed up from the previous night

He was whipping custards on fresh, thats the day the penny dropped for me :)

3. Baramundi Bob

Cheers Mart, you were a true gent that night. Given it was a match there are plenty of lads would have made me go down for my own fish.

I was pleased to pass on what I knew about that mark and thats one of the beuties of the Yorkshire 4's I helped you, you helped me with the bait knowledge, and Ive learnt lots of other marks over the years too by competing in that event.

Do you know what year you first saw Cart used ??

4. smokey

smokey Rockling

It was about a year previous to the night we fished together glenn.

5. clifftoprunner1

clifftoprunner1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Now glen remember 1st time I used it prob 15yrs ago before that used to get big soft eddibles when you find them starting to harden up and peel shells off remember giving some cart to a felliw angler to fish with he was in middle of 6 rods and only one to catch it amazed him
    pete

6. robq

robq Rockling

I remember first seeing it up on bennys one night in november 2005 I think ?

A filey lad was whipping these great big frozen sticks onto his hook :eek: I just asked him what it was and he said cart and explained what it was :) No secretism at all

Its never my mainstream bait but I do like it nov to jan in a big sea :)

I like to make my own and drain right off and individually wrap the wings into big baits

My only problem being in Hull is getting a few boxes now and then :(

7. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Dynimite bait on its day but not allways. It seems to fish very well with a nice yellowtail rapped next to it.

Glenn I was fishing next to Chris Scaife in The Ship Inn Open in the middle way on the day you mentioned above.

Chris said they were edible peelers but as allways with a secret bait nobody wants to let cat out of the bag. It was silly stood next to Chris that Day, he had 6 fish in 6 casts with the best goiung over 10lb. I was rather disgruntled as I had to land all those fish for him.

Eventually i got that fed up of watching him catch fish I had to move away, only 50yds and i got 3 in 3 chucks.

Alarm bells were ringing and stories of Cart and its amazing fish catching qualities were spreading fast.

It was actually Robbie Harrison who put me on to it during a Yorkshire 4's match down Bouldby. Robby was useing plain cart on its own.

I found out over the years useing Cart often draws those bigger fish. I think i had 3 codlings that night but Robbie had 2, However one of his was 7lb which beat all three of my fish in total.

So that was it my order for pollys (Female Edibles) was made next day, and the very first time I used them was in club match on the rabbits holes.

I won the match and that was on fresh cart, an awesome bait on its day but as I say not allways. If you get a year with a lot 5-6lbers its a killer bait and can give you some huge bags of fish .

After robby told me about the cart which must have been near on 20 years ago There wasnt hardly anybody useing it north of scarborugh.

It did get a little embarasing at times, for example going onto the west peir at times when nothing had been caught. Then casting in with cart and catching fish after fish, with everybody looking at the frozen clingfilm with the bag of red crystals inside it.

Remember quality cart useually fishes better that watery stuff plenty of red usually does the buisness.

paul.

8. Mop The Hoople 2

Mop The Hoople 2 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

when a old mate timmy Norris used to work for several trawlers over the years

out of Whitby, used to fish from the beach scars etc he always used "coral" as a back up bait

in November time,this was in fact what is now called cart.

I believe that he got the info off one of the Whitby lads, this was from the mid 70,s

also he used to use "soft" lobsters puree to add to his coral after supplying them

to carp anglers pre boilies etc for additives in their mash etc.

another way of thinking outside the box & using other types of fishing methods

& trying them on sea angling.

9. Baramundi Bob

I would actually challenge that belief Paul, have spoken to some of the people who supply crabs to the better anglers I was amazed to learn many of them were ordering male crabs. Im sure there are many on here, succeful anglers, who well tell you that males can and do actually outfish the female crabs. Its that oily yellow gunge that smells like aniseed that the fish seem to love.

10. smokey

smokey Rockling

That night you saw Robby using em was the same night Glenn saw me using it Paul.
    He hadn t been using it for long himself before you saw it at boulby,didn't you go in for his better fish for him?

I seem to remember him having a joke about it later on, it was a cold night and he couldn't believe you were wearing just thigh waders and a boiler suit lol.

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Ah yes my younger days didn't feel the cold rapped up like a polar bear nowadays on the cold nights as glen mentioned some lads like male edibles caught fish on both but allways seem more confident with a cling film full of pure red coral and a nice fresh yellowtail rapped next to it .

Paul

12. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Interesting read and topic.
    Do you think good anglers will always catch fish, with good bait. Good frozen crab, fresh dug lug.
    All I hear about is cart cart and cart.
    I get the impression a lot of novices using cart thinking its a wonder bait to guarantee success.

Bigfoot.

13. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

The first time I saw cart used was in 1960 , I was fishing in the Redcar boat festival [ I bet a lot of you never knew they used to have one ] I was fishing in a boat called the GLENDA EM fishing wasn't hectic then I saw an
    angler pull out a good sized eater out of a bag , open it up and put the contents on his hook over a period of a few drops , he started to catch cod at the end of the match he had landed quite a few fish . our boat ended up with the top weight , I never followed up what I saw over many many years , until the tom toms started ---- At
    the end of the day most times just speaking for myself I would still prefer a nice good quality peeler BUT cart
    certainly has a part to play

14. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

I've never done any good with cart, Guess I've used it at the wrong time or never had fash in front of me, But what I've always wondered is it better used frozen or thawed/fresh ?.

15. rocker_chris

rocker_chris Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Wonder who that Scottish angler was Glenn?! I must confess I'm still not entirely convinced of its worth up here. But that's probably because we are often spoilt with fish numbers etc on marks and blow lug, green crab, bluey has become such a potent cocktail that its often hard to see past it. I do use cart but mainly when fishing in tighter gully's where the scent will be contained..

16. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

A lot of people use cart nowadays as do I. But I don't rely on it. I think it fishes best when the fish are really at you in numbers.

I find this time of year greens kick ass in most situations. I will have fresh greens out with me and when they start to thin out I take a hundred frozen greens with what fresh I have then eventually I take only frozen greens when these thin out I start with fresh blacks.

At the same time I generally take two flasks full of huge cart baits and a fresh box of squid. If I'm struggling for a bite a two ounce block ov cart half shrouded with a full squid hood and a couple of fresh blacks tied down the side for good measure.

Some of you might remember my DONKEY CHOKERS when I started the realtime fishing posts

17. Baramundi Bob

Im sure you could catch them on Peanut Butter sandwiches up your way Chris :)

Nice to see your still about mate :)

18. Baramundi Bob

One of the big differentiating factors amongst anglers was and still is bait quality. Those anglers willing to dig blacks, source peelers, dig whites in Scotland at 3am on a winters morning before driving home to go to work, will always be ahead of the game.

BUT Cart has certainly been a great leveller and at times a match winner. At the end of the day its just a bait, the same as any other and as I said initially there are places and times I swear it wont work, and there are places and times it wont be beat. The best anglers will allways know where and when each bait works and they will always have that edge.

Cart is easily sourced. theres no driving to the Firth Of Forth to dig it out of a beach youve never even seen in daylight. Theres no wasting all your summer nights and holidays in June and July dragging yourself around thick estuary mud or turning rocks on the foreshore to locate it. Theres no mammoth peeler crab peeling sessions in your shed whilst all your mates are out summer fishing or down the pub. Cart is easy to find, easy to keep and available to anglers who cant or wont put in the effort to source other good baits.

Its been a leveller in many circumstances but at other times it wont touch a thing, which must be very amusing for the better anglers still involved in the match scene who know just what bait is needed when the cart isnt effective.

19. scrubbs

scrubbs Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

if it's thawed it should have consistency of porridge :) i.e. it would have to be in a sausage skin or a plaggy bag 'cos it would be liquid. :D I have used it just thawing but it's a bugger to cast/wrap.

20. Baramundi Bob

Fresh. Ive seen Robbie Harriosn put fresh to very good use winning matches from North Hawsker over the years.