1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fifty Cod Challenge 2012 - 1st September To 31st December Inclusive.

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 31, 2012.

1. robq

robq Rockling

17 for me now

looks like the beaches starting to kick in now :happy:

My 1st go cod fishing on the sand this year and 2 fish for just over 6lb and another of 4lb 4oz :yes:

both caught on 3/0 pulley pennel rig, single yellowtail tipped with squid, fished at range

The dog was suitably impressed with her tea :laugh: :laugh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Well done rob. Good to hear the beaches are starting to fish. I fancy a session down there soon

Sent from my M532 using Tapatalk 2

3. robq

robq Rockling

still very patchy by all accounts Matty but another few weeks it should start fishing better :yes:

usually 2nd week in jan it starts fishing more consistently, or at least it has the last 3 years or so and it seems to following the same pattern this year so far

4. bow1

bow1 Rockling

At last a size mop.its taken two months!!
    Ss pier this afty.lovely s east sea building.
    Saw a prob double dropped and i went down steps to gill a 8lber.
    Only 3 of us on.
    Typical sea building and im now on festive duties and work till24th!!!!!!!!

5. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

Is there a particular reason why the Cod move onto sand later in the season?

Seem to remember the suggestion that, come the frosts, Crabs (and other rock dwelling life) move back into deep water and so sand life was what the Cod turn to. Made sense - other opinions welcome though.

6. hilsey

hilsey Blenny

33 now.
    Managed to get two mops, both around 2.5lbs last night.
    went out briefly tonight to try to brave the elements but it was too much. may try again at the weekend

7. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

70 fish so far,
    went on whitby west early evening, followed my mate on and was given the end spot, shammy , woody, jamsy, and his bud allready at it, fishing the soft, with odd whitey and coley, i slapped one out infront of them all and got a four pounder first cast, , but i did'nt like the look of it and tried further down the pier , my mate was'nt happy, getting soaked from the off, (it was horendous), so we decidided to bugger off to scabby, to try find some shelter, but no good :no:
    dont know how shammy and woody ended up, my guess is pants but i might be wrong.

need a few bag up sesh's, aint gonna happen ,the fish have thinned right out. fished perfect conditions on salty pier last night and had whitings :death:

8. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

2 more for me tonight from jacko's, should have been a few more TBH................39 now, gunna have to be a 'Lobbers' like sesh for me to hit the 50 before the New Year...........

9. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

1 more 3lber tonight puts me on 33

10. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

2 mops from runswick beach tonight puts me on 41. very poor tonight in what looked excellent conditions

11. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Small tides on easterlies not good the fish down this part of the coast soon lose interest seen it so many times.

paul.

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Fished my club xmas match today. I opted for goldsborough. There was a lot of weed but I managed 2 for just over 7lb. Puts me on 43. Don't think I will get the opportunity to increase my tally before new year so it looks like I'll fall short again but its still my best attempt at the challenge yet

13. hilsey

hilsey Blenny

had a long day to day but was nice to be out. I managed two mops in daylight but could only catch rockling after dark.

On the plus side my dad managed a 15lber about an hour before low this evening. Thats his 2nd double since october and it was only last weekend I had my double! will post a pic later.

Anyway, my 2 mops puts me on 35.

14. Lobbers

73 fish so far

fished saltburn pier tonight over high, looked mint for a small tide but it turned out very slow, i had a 40cm mop around 2 1/2 hours befotre top, here we go theres life in the water , nope , very slow, an hour or so before high i clicked a cod just short of 6lb, it gave everyone hope, did it happen..... nope. i was packing up about an hour back, what happens, bang, a 6lb 8oz cod hits home, it keeps me there another 1.5 hours hoping for another, did it happen ,,, nope. maybe around 30 rods on there and i had the three only codling.

post a piccy up later, all the best :yes:

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

If me n the boys were on there you wouldnt of been the only one to have codling loberini. :laugh: :laugh: . Now weres my zipper... :cheesy: :cheesy:

16. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Should have had at least the 7 fish I needed to get my 50 last night but for some reason I was losing fish and missing bites. Ended up with 2 for 8lb . 45 down, 5 to go.

17. THE DOLPHIN

THE DOLPHIN Rockling

You have done well Matty well done. I set of to go to Runswick last night but would of only had an hour before low so turned round and came back home.

18. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

3 for me last night, that's me done this year, 42. Should have had a much better bag as I experienced similar problems to Matty, I lost a fish on WW plus 3 others at runswick as well as missing several very good cod bites. Really enjoyed this season though, will go down as the best ever for quality for me plus I've learned several new marks.......

19. Lobbers

yeah i'll have settle for 73(i was born 73), so not a bad number, i went on salty pier for the cloughton, it looked perfect for a fish or two, but just whitey and dabs, i should have been on cowbar jetty i think, mind you , i might get 27 codling on sunday in the ship :nerd:

one thing i will say, i hope we keep getting seas, because the last few years have been tihs, after new year, and theres a tihs load of good fish about. if we keep a good run of seas there will be some big fish to be had from the shore in the next few month :yes:

tight lines and all the best lads :yes:

20. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

3 in cloughton leaves me so close on 48. Not fishing Sunday so that's it for me