1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the end of my jollies over the border

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by SAGE, Aug 23, 2010.

1. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

well i decided to try another mark while on my jollies , this time the chosen mark was eyemouth, an very early morning start was opted for to coincide with low water.. too early for my lazy son who opted to stop in bed...

i started to the south of the town along the golf course marks...
    i had scrutinised the net.. and multimap.com
    the first mark was to be whalt point ... i think .. (the OS map was downloaded from net)

[​IMG]

after a short walk to the mark across the golf course it was a fairly easy get down to a safe spot to start fishing... armed with frozen peeler, macky, mussel, and some fine lugworms dug from North Berwick.
    [​IMG]

i had opted to use a single hook pulley rig with a rotten bottom.. my usual heavy ground rig.. so baited with peeler for the first chuck i gave a short lob of about 25 yds... it seem to settle in pretty deep water..
    it wasnt long before a couple of small rattles on the rod tip.. that resulted in a yet another small coley... it seemed like the only species of fish i could catch over the past week!!!!!

after a few more chuck and coleys every cast i decided to move.... further north
    the gully looked a good shot so i scrambled down and had a couple of chucks there .... and a variety of different baits were tried.....
    [​IMG]

all resulting in ............. BLOODY COLEYS AGAIN !!!!!!!!! aaaarrrrgh!!!

so once again i tried another move..... both to get away from the coleys and there was a a bit of a dodgy swell developing..

[​IMG]
    the chosen mark was the caravan park fishing into killiedraght bay.. the lower ledge was taken by a couple of anglers so i had to fish a higher mark in between that lower ledge and hairy ness

by this time i was getting totally brassed off believe it or not.... i know to catch fish every cast sounds a dream but when they are just 1/2lb coleys it gets boring.... and i had 5 days of it...
    i never ever thought i would ever say that!!!!

i had even tried spinning jellyworms, lures, plugs, ..... just about everything was being took by undersize coleys...
    i even tried a massive horse choking crab/mussell bait on a 5/0... still suicidal coleys tormented me....
    then......

[​IMG]

it might only be small but believe me it made my day.... i can catch different fish....
    by now i started to get excited.!!!!.so another big peeler bait was lobbed about 40 yds...
    and after a couple of minutes there was a different type of bite.. a rattle then a pull down and everything going slack...
    could this be a cod.. ????? i wound down then lifted into it ......... it was on......
    about twenty or so yds out it surfaced.. it looked about 4lb or so... not a giant but it was a brightly coloured cod ..a sort of golden red colour...
    COD FOR TEA...... HOORAY!!
    then as i lifted it up the high ledge it bloody dropped off....
    there below .. about 15 yds below, it floated .. going up and down with the swell...
    then with the flick of its tail, it went down to the depths .... gone...
    thats it i packed up ... beaten...
    before packing in i took one last photo...ST Abbs in the distance.... maybe i should have gone there!!!

[​IMG]

so after a weeks fishing around some lovely scenic marks around north berwick and eyemouth..
    the scores on the doors were
    coleys...... about 200 or so
    mackeral ...1
    wrasse ....1
    red kelpy... 1 dropped on the lift

theres always next week... if the weather clears.. im off to skeggy for bank holiday weekend... and maybe a smoothy or 2

thanks for reading..
    Paul

2. mick webster

mick webster Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I had about the same tally as you Paul in the 3 weeks i was there, one massive mackerel, i decent cod and hundreds of small coley, what a lovely place though, its' a kayakers paradise! going for 10 days next year and then on to the mull of galloway for another 10 days!

3. SAGE

aye mick, its lovely in that neck of the woods.. never took the yak but will deffo next time i am up there and its only 2 1/2 hrs away..
    while at north berwick i had a bit craic with a group of about 10 sea kayakers who had a paddle around bass rock and another island ..cragleith.. i think it was called
    cheers
    Paul

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

well at least you had your line pulled Paul, maybee lug on small hooks may sort out the wrasse from the coalie,s, it does over the west coast :yes: some lovely shots there as well , thanks for the report from your jolly,s

5. captain cod eye

captain cod eye Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Nice 1 paul. It doesn't matter how many you caught ! The main thing is you caught fish.

When times are hard and slow through winter just think abt how nice it you be to see a little coley

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Thats the trouble with sea fishing Paul, they all eat the same stuff so you can't stop catching something you don't want to :ugly: There does seem to be a lot of small coalies about this year for whatever reason :confused:

7. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Nice report and pictures. Sounds like you enjoyed It.

8. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Nice report mate, hard lines on the Cod dropping off, bet you were absolutely gutted!

9. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Unlucky on the kelpy mate but at least you had a great time. Thanks for sharing I have really enjoyed reading your adventure.

10. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

A nice report Paul its an area i love , you do tend to pick up more coleys in the eyemouth / golf course area i have seen 6 coleys at a time at
    the back of the caravan camp in may on feathers , up at ST ABBS they arent as common as the ground is less open , plenty of heavy kelp which
    they dont like as much , so as you say its ST ABBS next time , although down by the golf course fishing at the razorback or the cave can on its
    day be good for cod both fresh run and kelpies and some nice Pollack can sometimes be taken , the thing is very often the cod up there arent
    in the deeper water , the shallower kelp marks are the place to be

11. SAGE

thanks for all the comments lads, i know i was complaining about all the coaleys but i did enjoy it really, what a great place that area is, and i will be back up there again,
    thanks for reading everyone
    Paul