1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The effects of Scallop Dredging

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jimthefloat, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bobby

bobby Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I got talking to a guy last winter round boiler hole and the subject got onto scallop dredging, trawling etc, the comment was... if you take a dog and gun and walk along a hedge back you will empty the hedge of pheasants and rabbits but in a week or so's time they will return!!! if you go along a hedge with a tractor and plough then they will never return!!!! I absolutely love scallops but since that night i have never had one.

2. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

That just about sums it up :mad:

3. toonfireman

toonfireman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

The big worry should be as IFCAs round the country restrict and ban this practice the people responsible for the in shore, the effort will increase in areas that do nothing about it.

4. 3be2

3be2 Blenny

It isn't just the destruction of the sea bed. What seems to have happened is that, as 'profitable' species such as Cod have become more regulated, people have moved further down the food chain. Prawns, Crab, Scallops ... Trouble is that these are the species that feed 'Cod'. So all we are doing is responding to a reduction in Cod by leaving them alone concentrating on their food sources.

The number of Cod is directly related to food availability. We could stop fishing for them altogether tomorrow morning but now that we are destroying their habitat and the food sources that they rely upon then we may as well fish for them with explosives - the end result is just the same.

5. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!