1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The effects of Scallop Dredging

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Jimthefloat, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Jimthefloat

Jimthefloat Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This is happening right now off Whitby.
    It will wipe out the rough ground that gives us our sport, and will never return.

link scallop dredging video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pbWFAQKH6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BReusSrNvjU

2. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I know it is easy to say when not your livelihood, but I do wish they would ban fishing like that. Just seems wrong.

3. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Jim i had to turn the video off its sickening its a disaster in the making i have seen at first hand what this sort of fishing does to the sea bed why the hell the reefs arent protected its madness the ground will never be the same again and nobody gives a dam its shocking.

Once the ground is dug up ling and cod will not settle there no features for the them to hide but they are also destroying the shellfish industry as well crabs and lobsters must be getting smashed in there millions plus there numbers will drop away and the northeastern seas fisheries committe just stand by and let it all happen .

Please Email them and ask why nothing is being done to protect our reefs from this deverstation.

http://www.ne-ifca.gov.uk/

paul.

4. Jimthefloat

If you tried doing something like this onshore there would be a huge outcry, and questions in parliament.
    Just because its done underwater and out of sight makes no difference.

5. lobsterman

lobsterman Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I must agree I normally stick up for fishermen but this is just totally shocking and needs banning.

6. pro angler

pro angler Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I knew it was bad the damage they did fooking hell that is disgusting looks like a bulldozer has gone threw there.

Ban it.

Next time you eat scallops just think where have they come from.

7. craigrob

craigrob Blenny

livelyhood or not, this only ends one way......

Decimated reefs and habitats which has the knock-on effect to us, the anglers that depend on it to sustain our sport.

8. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Like I've said many times in the past,..These people are freelance farmer's of the sea..who reap the harvest but never sow....greedy greedy moron's :mad:

9. smokey

smokey Rockling

I was yarning with a fellow potter yesterday who told me a few weeks ago when all the scallopers were working off Scarborough,they'd offered him a back hander to shift his pots for a few days so they could tow it.

10. DiscoMick

Should have given him a backhander,...straight round his lughole :mad:

11. Mick Gibson

Mick Gibson Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Shocking to sea the damage that is being caused, does anyone know what area in terms of coverage do the dreggers cover on a daily basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Howard

Howard Blenny

We were out the other day fishing a cluster of wrecks and tried some ground a short distance from the cluster and drew a blank but when we fished the ground among the cluster a clear no-go area for towing there were fish of different species coming up left,right and centre.
    Couple of weeks ago there were 9 dredgers off Scarborough . It must be a worry for potters and their gear too.

13. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Howard the 5 mile ground off whitby fished it for years like a table top now total deverstation all in the name of few bucks heartbreakeing .

paul.

14. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Its all over.

15. ch1pp1e

ch1pp1e Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Besides fishing I have dived British waters for the last 15 years and witnessed the devastation first hand. Areas where we used to have seabed covered in sea fans, tube worms, scallops, langoustines and a haven for small fish, have been reduced to what looks like a ploughed field. Completely devoid of life.
    A pass to pick up a few scallops kills everything in its path :( :( :(

16. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I have chartered off this coast for near on 30 years and i have seen the the damage that can be done to the sea bed on a top quality sounder you get a very good picture of the contours with high resolution sounder with bottom expansion beamers ruined the grounds aback of 9 mile once a hell of a place for cod and ling now the dredgeing boats which have been hammering the 4 mile and 5 grounds its heartbreaking to watch.
    I know they are just digging the ground up smashing it to peices fish will not stay where there is nothing for them i have seen that on the 10 and 11 mile grounds like a desert out there these days once alive with cod i was on the 5 mile ground the other day having a look round my eyes couldnt belive what they were seeing ridges peices of very rough ground flat now now no feed marks there no life makes my blood boil how they are aloud to do so much deverstation and nobody give a flying hook they are ruining it for everybody apart from themselves of course all in the name of a few scallops.

SO WHERE IS NATURAL ENGLAND NOW EMAIL THEM PHONE THEM AND ASK THEM WHY THIS IS BEING ALOUD TO HAPPEN.

paul.

17. DiscoMick

And do we really need the scallops that bad????that we have to destroy the sea bed to catch something that I'm sure we can live without :mad:....shocking. :'(

18. Jimthefloat

Just received an e-mail from David McCandless (Chief Inshore Fisheries & Conservation Officer

[​IMG]

The Local Byelaws

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I received the exact same reply, word for word.
    Hope they do something very, very soon!

20. shammy67

shammy67 only dead fish go with the flow

Lets hope so bud! Cant understand why the 6 mile limit isnt the norm though ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk