1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The early bird catches the...mops

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by mattylamb, Oct 28, 2012.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Well as I was unable to get out Fri or sat night I made the decision to get up early and have a couple of hours this morning. Anyway as usual I couldn't sleep and I was out the door well before 3 am.

Knew the swell was dying so headed to cowbar for a look but it was still far too heavy for there and breaking over the jetty so I headed for Runswick. Nice bit of sea on and I was fishing by about half 3.

Started off in front of the lifeboat station and it was a fish a chuck there but as seems to be the way for me this year they were all mops, just size and probably weighing just over a pound each. I managed 5 here plus a decent coalie before heading on to the rocks where I got 2 more of them pesky peas in a pod mops. As daylight came the fish were still there but the bites became more shy and I decided to call it a day

A picture of a mop :laugh: sorry only 1 pic but I returned all the fish as I don't tend to keep mops, I prefer a bit more meat on my fillet...

[​IMG]

Now I'm off to play football then it's club match tonight so hopefully a goal or 2 and some more fish tonight! It's gonna be a long day!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

2. Woodsmanuk

Woodsmanuk @woodsmanuk

It could have been worse. :wink:

Nice write-up

Simon

3. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Nice one Matty, that is an early start! Glad you were rewarded with plenty of mops :happy:

4. bowesy

bowesy Blenny

mop miiissstteerrr!!!!

5. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

thats dedication matty,well done.
    seems to be mops all over,had a go down cayton bay last night,was plenty of them there,still there is the odd good fish in with them been weighed in the club matchs

6. deano72

deano72 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

well done matty,that was a early start..

7. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Just finished football 2 goals for me in a 4-4 thriller. Spragg tonight?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

8. N.INGLIS 28.8

N.INGLIS 28.8 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

nice looking sand fish,shame sea's about gone for tonight.

9. halfprice

halfprice Owt For Nowt

Well done mate
    looking like a good season then if the mops are in big numbers

10. woody

woody New Member

nice one matty

11. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

you might get a better one from simmy tonight matty, you'lle have to beat me to it though :cheesy:

12. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

lmao Paul you know me too well

13. MidlandYakker

MidlandYakker Blenny

3am....!! That's dedication ;-)

Good to catch a few though, Matty.

14. SAGE

SAGE always trying...... some say very trying !!!!!

well done matty both on your early morning catch and your goals.... lets hope you get a couple tonight as well... to make it a hat trick of successful outings...
    cheers
    Paul

15. Dink

Dink Blenny

The good ens from simi are long gone!!

16. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

nahh!!!! 6lber

17. Mark Gelder

Mark Gelder Rockling

Nice 1 Matster.................

18. go go gadget

go go gadget Rockling

Well done matty, There are a few better fish about. I got one about 6 1/2 lb last night. Only bite of the night though