1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dangers Of Sea Angling

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Glenn Kilpatrick, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Glenn Kilpatrick

Glenn Kilpatrick Blenny Staff Member

2. cryo

cryo Blenny

A very good write up Glenn we all need a reminder to keep safe. The sea can be a very unpredictable environment especially in the winter months. I have been washed off my feet a few times over the years due to the odd big surge coming out of the blue.

Ken.

3. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

imo and my somewhat limited experience i believe the rock fishing and the journey to certain marks is more dangerous than my kayak outings.

I have retired from the yak now sadly (keep getting an itch though when i see a cheap sale).
    Nigel savage i met (i think it was nigel) ? on north side of scarborough six weeks before his demise. R.I.P, nice bloke - fished with him for an hour in rawlings before i legged it to another mark.
    Personal safety is the candidates sole responsibility, i now reconsider every one else at home and the rescue /emergency services before venturing into dangerous areas.

If i have a doubt.... then i dont do it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Glenn Kilpatrick

I wouldn't worry too much about the emergency services, i particular The RNLI and Coastguard. They thrive on it, plus they are fantastically equipped to deal with almost every eventuality. I dont know many if any who would discourage you from going about your hobbie with a passion, so long as you take the right safety precautions.

Many of the local RNLI and coastguard lads are anglers. Ben Laws and Andrew Cass on Whitby Lifeboat are both Rock Anglers and I know they would never discourage anyone else. But you are right, Rock angling is more dangerous than Kayak Fishing in general, but I also know most kayak anglers are more safety aware because the risk is potentially fatal if you mis judge things.

I dont know many Rock anglers who havent had an accident or 2 along the way. I think ben Laws broke his wrist on Scarborough Marine Drive around Christmas time.

5. faraday

faraday Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I was terrified of having any incident with the yak and having to call the coastguard... 3 mates i went to school with are still active from scarborough i believe. The grin on their faces when pulling me out would have been priceless...

Had a couple of minor incidents (which could have been worse) in last couple of years as i have widened my scope for more rewarding venues, which were down to myself been unfortunate and not irresponsible.

Witnessed a couple of lads from chester on the brigg near binks 4 years ago nearly losing their lives, told em not to fish from there on the flood, especially wearing only shorts and flip plops !
    Nasty gravel like rash....ouch - being dragged down that gulley.
    funny thing was they were both funeral director employees on holiday....

That lobbers incident falling was frightening

• Like Like x 1
  6. Glenn Kilpatrick

My ex boss was on the coastguard and he came to rescue me. Mind I didnt need rescuing. Someone had called them out thinking we were stuck on the cliffs at Kettleness but we had access. So a quick word and they left, but in many ways its good they came because we may well have been in trouble.

• Like Like x 1