1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The changes over the years on this site

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by harrythecod, Jun 2, 2015.

1. robq

robq Rockling

One of the reasons I dont post as much now is because I dont have computer anymore :(

Its harder to post pics etc on a tablet

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I will certainleyy be doing a report from our Sky trip and allso a photography report in the photography section seperate from the Angling story,s

i must admit i dont go fishing much at all since i got the photography bug but i am defoe going to get my mojo back ,
    i remember Glenn going through the same sort of swing when he couldn,t get motivated , maybee he will read this report and give us all some encouragement ,what do you say Glenn :) we all need a little motivation now and again 8)

3. wilky

wilky Blenny

I am out of district and don't get out much these days. I post occasionally when I have something worthwhile to say and will continue to do so

4. Davyred

Davyred Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

As an outsider to the area (Sunderland), I look in now and again to see whats happening down your neck of the woods as I'm not too sure you'd be that fussed on hearing whats happening up our end.

I've noticed the lack of reports on here, but I think its the same for most forums now, for reasons already mentioned by a couple of lads on this thread. Saying that, the reports that do get put on here are absolute quality, the Skye one is a fantastic report and can't wait for the next.

One thing I have found invaluable, is the reports from the mull which the lads have posted. As well as great reports, the photographs are fantastic and I hope it continues. One which sticks in my mind is Congerballs report from the mull where he was getting smoothies where I used to plug!

Through a little bit of homework, I've identified a few of the marks the lads fished and hope to try them this summer but I won't be shouting them out from the rooftops. Hopefully, I'll get plenty of fish so I can put a report on here :D ;)

5. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Hand raise

Do t fish much I summer but come winter hopefully plenty to report.

Gonna have go at hounds soo soon ....I'll keep ya posted!

6. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Will post a couple of reports on local inshore boat trips (when this wind goes)

mainly around huntcliffe/grove/marske high areas.

Perhaps post some pics when I sus out how to cut/paste/ x-fer to topic (luddite)

back end/ feb time use martins referbed long lines similar topic to when glenn did one from Whitby.

Garys recent hound topic should enthuse some of the "better" formatted one to follow suit,

7. Sadung

Sadung Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think people's frightened to post where's fishing. As next time they go there's no room to get set up

8. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I wouldn't worry about that one to much ---- most times people don't act on what they hear

9. rupert

rupert Blenny

Or, write a good report, but post it up 10 days later. By that time it will all have changed.

Simples.

10. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I always make the point. Any group, forum, society etc is only as good as its members. Thats you guys. Funny reading some of the replies.

Ive always had a feeling about the personalities of many of the sites contributers. Givers, takers, narcassists, Altruists, and many more. Having read through this topic the same people seem to be saying the same thing as they were 10 year ago. Some of them were complaining the site "Wasnt what it was" as soon as it began.

The people who made this forum happen were and are those who post without negativity. Generally the negative posts about things going down hill always come from the same handfull of negative people. The ones who never ever contributed much themselves. The takers.

The others are the positive people, the ones who take time to take a camera, take some pics, write a story. Rupert, Garry, Howard, Killer, Matty, Congerball, and a handfull of others.

Social media has played its part, but I still see nothing of interest in any social media fishing group at all. I dont read a single one of them, with the exception of Dave Barhams, and Gethyn owens pages there is not a single page or fishing group on Facebook that offers anything of value to its readers. Lots of people bigging up ego's, talking bull and not catching many fish at all. I love to read about fishing, but nothing on Social Media has of yet jumped out on me and said - Read Me (Other than the bird in the bikini one).

11. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A good post by Glen.

This issue is shared across the spectrum, whether it be Henry Gilbey, Sea Angler, or what have you.

Once you know all there is to know about tackle, gear, baits, knots - and that info. you can generally find in the history - the main thing left that really makes a difference to people's fishing is 'water craft' and an understanding of the marks, and that can only be learnt by putting in hard graft in situ, rather than from the comfort of an armchair.

I got a lecture or few from posting the odd bass catch report, so try to put a bit of a sock in it on that front. Being that is mainly what I target all summer, and mackie/pollock reports are hardly going to set the world alight, I have to admit I have been as guilty as others in not writing up often.

One big thing is my lack of camera. Salt water in a brand new iPhone put paid to that and, because it was otherwise working, I have limped on through. Contract change over now, so just about to get a camera again. Touch wood I will have a few things to picture.

Not doing Skye this year. Pembrokeshire. A truly magic place. That said, I blanked for a week there (and I really do mean blanked!) last year, so fingers crossed for this. Looked amazingly fishy, and apparently I was not alone in my experience. Even the locals top guns had a mare. Porpoises or something, causing havoc with fish runs. And the strange weather.

Still a great forum. I have learnt a ton from it over the years since I joined, so it holds a place in my heart.

Lastly, in light of the fact the summer fishing hasn't truly kicked off yet, and we have mostly all had cabin fever since January, I think it is not massively surprising that there have been a dearth of reports, except for those from the boats, no?
    This has been a weird year too!
    Damn freezing still, for this time of year, and only just looking like it is about to change.

That is my take, anyway.
    Ben

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

very good and measured response Glenn,
    i thought you may let it run a while before making a reply ,

think you have hit the nail on the head there,
    givers,takers, narccasissts,Altruists,

as i said in my original post i still think this is the best forum for the all round Angler,
    lets hope i can get my mojo back and get stuck into fishing and reporting once again.

13. bigsi

bigsi Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think myself the main reason is the lack of replies,ppl go to a lot of trouble posting great pic's n report's for ppl just to read there catch reports them think ahh so n so's fishing let's try there :eek:
    If someone has taken there time to post a report(sometimes detailed)at least have the decency to say thank you,not saying hundreds of replies but it is nice to get some sort of acknowledgement....

14. stickman

stickman There's a difference between fishing and catching!

Forums don't just run themselves - as Glenn will testify - they need steering in certain directions and away from others. They also cost money to run and maintain ???
    This forum is MASSIVE and must cost an arm and a leg in bandwidth alone - that's the amount of internet "space" it uses. I run a small forum in comparison which I pay for because it encourages and keeps customers visiting my website and spending money.

I refuse to have adverts - I hate them personally - but I can easily understand why this one needs them to help pay the running costs.

Anyway; my own forum has also gone quiet over the last year and when I was forced to upgrade the system by my web host a couple of months ago I told everyone that next time it happens I won't be paying for the next upgrade unless people start using the forum. Things went mad for a couple of weeks with folks crying out for me never to close the forum and promising to be more active. Guess what - unless I keep posting on it it's very quiet again ::)

I'm not very "active" sea angler - nor am I a very successful one ;) . I'm enthusiastic once I get fishing, but getting motivated now is difficult when so many shore trips are fruitless and boat trips are cancelled due to bad weather. I've become not such a bad boat angler and normally do quite well - and when I do I like to spend a bit of time putting reports on here. It can easily take an hour to write and post pictures for a topic that takes two minutes to read. You don't have to do that very often and get one or two replies - if I'm lucky - for me to ask if it's worth "bothering" with them. I'm clearly not alone on that!

I've just got back from holiday so will put a short post up when I get time - I didn't do any fishing myself but have a couple of things worth noting.

15. bow1

bow1 Rockling

Well after commuting to writing reports I've recently done so on 2.occassions both with pics and have recieved 3 replies to my latest one in a week!!!!
    Wake up lads!!!!

16. robq

robq Rockling

I have as many other members have been there before simon

And I as many others have been guilty of apathy with some good threads regarding replies

However we all go through phases of enthusiasm with forums and posting so dont take it personally !!

After all onthe grand scheme of things forums are stll in their infancy

I dont know what the answer is to encourage more posts but maybe a LIKE button may help to encourge new posters who are going to the trouble of writing reports that may not quite be up to the standard of a lengthy reply??

I personally will never reply to the one liners of

Went on pier last an cort 2 whitys on worm

You dont need to be a master of the written word to do better than that but a lot don't try

Some say that some posts are better than none but I disagree with that statement

17. dabcatcher

dabcatcher Blenny

i come on here quite frequently to have a look what you lads are doing and generally read whats happing in your fishing world. i,m from hartlepool and dont fish your part of the coast probably due to lack of local knowledge and confidence so feel like an outsider. so i like to look in and add my little bit where i can. i find that all forums have dropped in reports though.

18. fishergirl

fishergirl Blenny

I must admit it's my first time back on this site for a while. I haven't fished for 17 months so I'm well out of the loop. I used to have a quick look on my Tapatalk app but that was a while ago. When I first joined I was at college, so I was always logged on to the forum when I was procrastination during lessons. I'll be making an effort to log on more regularly as I'll hopefully be back fishing by the September festivals

19. mocksqueek

mocksqueek Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Its not just this forum,other forums are just the same. I don't post that much but when I have posted ie with tips I don't think I have had any feed back. Maybe bad tips on my part. With 60years of angling under my belt I like to think ive a lot to offer other members.Lets face it, nobody knows it all,me included.Perhaps on the bigger picture its a changing world and the older of us might know what I mean. Years ago everybody knew everybody down the street.The local pub was always packed. These days most people keep to there self's and I don't think people communicate with each other like they used to. Just my two penough , other people might not agree.

20. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

People lose heart Harry. I put a report on about our Police boat comp held out of Whitby and not one reply. I wondered why I bothered.
    Mick.