1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Places To Fish In The UK ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

If you had the offer of a 10 day fishing holiday anywhere in The UK, where would it be, and why ??

Question also asked on Facebook - Here.

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I'd have to say Guernsey.
    For the shore fishing for Bass, Bream, Mullet & Wrasse
    Also the boat fishing for wreck species & the sandbanks for brill & Turbot.

3. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

I think it would have to be the Shetlands , there is so much scope , I know its a windy area but it has that many
    pieces of coast pointing to all points of the compass , it MUST be possible to fish somewhere that most likely has
    never seen a fishing rod --- I know I would love to give it a go

4. Baramundi Bob

Alan, Im dead keen on shore fishing in The Shetlands. I was going to do it this year but the costs of doing it on your own are too much. If I can fin a few fishing buddies then its a definite within the next few year.

5. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Let's not forget just what we have here rock .beach. Boat .cod.ling .pollock bass .skate.even more species if you target them we have some of the best assorted coastline in the uk as allways everybody to there own.

Paul.

6. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Im up for it glenn...... I have a work mate who lives on orkney islands if that interests you, the island is called eday and his lass is the manager of the local youth hostel and he has a 20ft rib....;-)

7. E.F.C. FOREVER

E.F.C. FOREVER Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ya right paul whitby is a "mecca" in its own right

8. Baramundi Bob

Having had the experiences I have now had of other areas, I would say our area is the poor relation, and the shore fishing can be pretty dire at times. In all honesty, who has caught anything locally that is worthy of mention this summer ??

Yes we have cod fishing in numbers from the boats, but how many 20lbers are caught now ?? Not many is the answer. From the shore I don't remember the last 20lber on the whole coastline.

In Skye during 2 weeks fishing on unknown grounds we have managed Tope to 45lb, A UK record skate of 208lb, another skate of around 140lb, Conger to 25lb, 15lb Spurdogs on spinning rods (As many as you want), ling, stacks of pollack well into double figures, coalies to 5lb, Lots more other species.

On this coast we have good fishing sometimes, its not outstanding by any stretch of the imagination though. Half the local shore anglers spend all winter hiding behind rocks so their mates cant see where they caught a 5 pound codling on a rod designed to pull in fish over a 100lb.

I guess we have been spoilt but when youve had fishing like Skye, you begin to realise theres more to life than a few codlings.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=34606.0

And if you have a bad days fishing, there is always the scenery.

Isle Of Skye Slideshow (Requires PC With Flash Installed).

HTML:
    <div style="width:800px;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13px;"><div><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="https://photos.gstatic.com/media/slideshow.swf" width="800" height="533" flashvars="host=picasaweb.google.com&captions=1&hl=en_US&feat=flashalbum&RGB=0x000000&feed=https%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Fdata%2Ffeed%2Fapi%2Fuser%2F111636410475004079009%2Falbumid%2F5937360901946187009%3Falt%3Drss%26kind%3Dphoto%26hl%3Den_US" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed></div><span style="float:left;"><a href="https://picasaweb.google.com/111636410475004079009/IsleOfSkyeSeaFishingAndPhotographyByGlennKilpatrick?authuser=0&feat=flashalbum" style="color:#3964c2">View all</a></span><div style="text-align:right;"><a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/getEmbed?feat=flashalbum" style="color:#3964c2">Get your own</a></div></div>
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooy6YPVhhTI

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x17sodz_isle-of-skye-sea-fishing-with-the-whitby-bass-club_gaylesbian

9. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Well Glenn if im going to do it I will have to get my skates on [ pardon the pun ]

10. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Glen talk to anglers down south and theywould give there right hand to have the cod fishing we have here we are spoilt i have seen the best days dont get me wrong buts let not kid ourselves we still have some excellent fishing here compaired to lot of other places especially when these pop up ..

Now this is worth a mention 3 over 50lb in last two years best 70lb not many ports can say that.

[​IMG]

paul.

11. jimlad

jimlad Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

That does look amazing glen. I often watch programmes fishing in Scotland or Scilly isles and think...is it really that good. I guess looking at the above, it is!

It's interesting though. The winter sea angler magazines are often filled with 'cod in the kelp filled gullies' and such, often describing the cod fishing in the north east between Northumberland and Whitby, and people from throughout the country dream of going to such places. I have to admit, the Yorkshire coast is brill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Baramundi Bob

I know thats a great fish Paul and full marks to the captor, but we average about 2 of them a year, between 20+ boats and thousands upon thousands of anglers, and 10 fold in terms of angler hours on the water. If we had a Halibut fishery it would be great, but as yet we dont. It may be undiscovered or it may not be there at all, but unless someone gives it a persevered effort we will never know.

I think what we have here at Whitby is good in terms of boat fishing, but I guess it depends on what you would want from an angling experience. Its great to be able to catch boxes of codlings but if you could space them out with some 20lb cod and the occasional 20 and 30lber then I would be getting excited. We had the best Cod fishery in the country there is no doubt about that.

But on the shore fishing front, what have we got ? Mackerel ?? few tiny flats ??

I once believed Whitby was the best place in The UK to fish, then I started traveling and realised although we have good fishing, we are far from in the best area of the country.

13. Baramundi Bob

I used to live and breath winter cod fishing. I used to pray for northerlies and I would spend days and days of my life every summer collecting bait etc.

I dont know if that flame went out, or Ive been spolit somehow, but I now struggle to find a reason to stand in the dead of night catching small fish on a rod and reel set up that Dan has shown is capable of pulling out a 200lb fish.

Im not criticising people who enjoy it, I did myself once, and maybe I will again. I guess all things are relative.

14. MandolinBanjo

MandolinBanjo Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I've had some great trips on the llyn peninsula this summer; 5 species with up to 20 fish caught in an afternoon, had a lot of fun catching bull Huss, dog fish, mackies, launce, pollock coal fish. I've had a shocker this summer in the north east, not even had many flatties which was something I figured I was always sure of; to be fair I have seen some nice fish caught either side of me:)

15. lipslicker

lipslicker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

This year I spent a whole week on Pembrokeshire coast, lure fishing on numerous grounds and marks - deep, shallow, beach, rocks, estuary - and did not even have one bite, I kid you not. A few anglers from the area commented that I was not alone, and that nothing was being caught by anyone.
    I know I was unlucky, and it was a magical spot that I am absolutely going back to.
    Two weeks ago, I had 12 bass (50-60cm, most 55-56) in 90 mins on our patch.
    We get a pretty solid mix on our patch, that's for sure.

But, back to question - I have to agree with Glen that Skye is absolutely up there. Amazing.
    For me, Scilly is up there too. No bass, but still wonderful. Totally stunning.

16. Teacuis

Teacuis Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Not officially UK but just got back last night from Cobh Ireland where I stayed with Bellavista and had a Raider for a week as part of the package,

I did't fish hard as i was on honeymoon with my very understanding wife but over the week I had bass to over 8lb mostly on poppers, pollock to over 10lb, big ballans, cod, whiting, ling, red/tub gurnard & haddock on soft lures/spinning rod.

On the 12/20lb gear i had conger, thornies, blonde rays, turbot and blue shark.

Mackies and snake launce every drop so bait not problem, the hotel is superb and the boats are immaculate.
    Kevin Murphy who runs the outfit is a very very good angler and gives advice freely.

I have fished all over the UK both shore and boat and can honestly say this was the best fishing i have ever had, following the diving terns in the boat and casting poppers into the boiling bait fish in two foot of water is incredible.

Paul.

17. Baramundi Bob

Those catches in Ireland do sound awesome mate, well done.

Skye seems to be coming up as a popular venue on the Facebook question :

https://www.facebook.com/groups/257790141075292/permalink/296468850540754/

18. Teacuis

The place is amazing, there were a bunch of French guys there for 5 weeks and they had over 30 bass on their first day.
    Cork harbour is huge and the variety of fish you can catch is incredible, only the shark fishing is weather dependant so no problems if it blows a bit.

Paul.

19. smokey

smokey Rockling

A few of us stayed at the same place about 10 years ago,he had warrior 165's back then.

The fishing was nothing flash when we were there,plenty of rays and conger to 50lb but other than that it was disappointing, having said that we were there earlier in the season as a couple of lads couldn't take time off at prime time,if I remember right we went in may.

Did you see/have a go at the golden grey mullet in the warm water outlet at the power station,there are tens of thousands of mullet and the odd bass.

It looked like an aquarium but try as we might they wouldn't take anything,I got one golden grey but if I'm honest it was foul hooked.

20. Teacuis

No mullet at the outlet as the power station was shut down, plenty of greys around the marina and quite easy to hook as Kevin always has bread in the water for them (he uses the marina at Marlogue now)
    Kevin had a 13 1/2 lb bass the week before i went on a popper, he took a scale from it and the age came back as 22 years old.

Paul.