1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Mark For A Double Figure Cod ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Dec 29, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive been thinking about this quite a bit recently. Most marks produce some double figure cod over the years but some have a habbit of throwing out quite a few in a season. Where would you consider to be the best mark to catch a double figure cod ??

Just looking at the past few seasons it would look like Port Mulgrave is the place to be. But then I know that Ravenscar, Hawsker, Whitby Piers, Goldsborough and Hummersea all throw out big fish too.

Also what would you say is the best state of tide for the bigger fish ?? High or low water ?

2. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Usually low water slack, them big fish are lazy and only move to feed when the tide gives it least resistance.
    Thats my theory anyway.
    Cheers Col.

3. joemc

joemc Blenny

If I knew I would have caught one by now :embarrass:

4. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

defo agree with col, most of my doubles have come just before high, or just before low when the tide slows up toward slack water, the lazy lunkers move in

5. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

My list of spots are birdflight gulley at saltburn , hummersea, boulby gulley and the area up to the first rope , runswick bay -- the area of boulders to the left of the village to the area in front of the boat park , but they can turn up at other spots along the beach , kettleness close to where you climb down, goldsborough area -------- there is of course for those who choose ---- cowbar cliffs its a good place for getting them on
    but not such a easy place to land them

6. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

I had an 18lb cod at half ebb and 20lb at half flood on saltwich beach plus a few around 15 or 16lb off whitby scaurs i would say a couple of hours either side of low water to be honest .
    Think ita all down to the venue where you are big fish dont like massive seas you seem to get the big ones on a nice lazy swell.

paul.

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Definatley Boulby and Hummersea for me, although i have caught them at G'brough K'ness and Runswick, also Hawsker Ravenscaur and Bleawyke i would consider to be big fish spots. What i can say is i dont like big sea's unless u are fishing a spot which offers shelter from heavy swell, or the night when the sea has just dropping away.

8. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Skinningrove jetty dark flood medium tide falling northwesterly swell early january..........................tricky part is landing it.

9. bigcod

bigcod Rockling

Caught my biggist cod from boulby in may just after low water was working offshore at that time and just home on leave got a few fresh crabs went down boulby the next day the water was thick with colour and nice northwesterly swell just dyeing down started in the big gulley down towards low water had 1 small mop went to the hole just to the right of the rope for the flood it was a fish a chuck the last went over 14lb weighed it at whitby angling the fish bag was full so i had to leave great memories of when boulby was one of the best marks round this area lost its adavantage with loseing the thick colour it allways had form the brine which was pumped out of the mine.

paul

10. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

definatly saltwick bay ,i know steve ianson gets big fish there!

11. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Love it.