1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Light Jigging Rod For Kayak And Small Boat Fishing ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 6, 2009.

1. cps

cps Rockling

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_44528_100002000_100000000_100002000_100-2-0

i use the older vershion of these bought them abot 9 years ago when in there sale at $19 and that was when it was £1 to $1.7 medum action 7 ft will handle lead heads to 3 oz i,ve had fish over 50lb on it with a abu 5600 but not in our waters, superb pollock and shalow water cod rod and cheep enough so it dont mater what hapens to it

2. robq

robq Rockling

Totaly agree mate :yes: thats why I use spinning rods for most of my fishing from the yak !! Not only is it better sport but there is no benefit in fishing heavier than 20lb braid because you cannot break it out from a snag safely anyway !! just my opinion of course :cheesy: :cheesy:

My best fish from the yak ( 8lb cod ) came from a 1oz lead head on a shimano 2500 gte,8lb power pro braid and a fox 7ft U/L predator jig rod in 35ft of water !! amazing sport :yes:

Rob

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

We should all chip in and get a few of these american style jigging rods imported and save on postage ....I will have one defo......

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

They look the part Dav. I know a bloke in the USA who will send them at actual postage cost (Basspro whip your ass by adding on 40% of item cost for a postage charge). Ill see if he's willing to do it with rods.

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

That would be great glen .......

6. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

I use a daiwa beefstick jerkbait rod which i got off Sam, superb rods for jigging. not sure if he still does them but they are excellent and very reasonably priced.

7. Misso

Misso Blenny

I HAVE JUST BOUGHT A POWER STICK 15-25LBS AND A RON THOMSON 20-30 LB CLASS, ARE THEYS ANY GOOD FOR WRECKING AND ROOUGH GROUNDING OUT OF WHITBY, BOTH WERE BEING GIVING AWAY ON EBAY..

8. Dorado

Dorado New Member

Sorry Misso, I couldn't hear you. Could you speak up a bit please!

In answer - ideal for what you want. Sleep easy.

9. adrenalin.

adrenalin. Blenny

i had problems with my offshore maximus well 2 of them.
    the first 1 snapped into 2 pieces the other 1 exploded into 3.
    now use a ugly stick braid 20lb class.

10. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

dont know if any ones bothered or knows veals have started to sell a yak rod think its 4 and half foot about £30

11. Baramundi Bob

Ill add another rod to the list. Dirt cheap Rovex Integra Gold 20lb class. I got mine from Whitby Angling Supplies for £17.50. Used it yesterday and on first impressions I'm very impressed.

http://www.whitbyanglingsupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=799

[​IMG]

12. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

il second that glenn, i couldnt believe how easily it handled the fish, especially two at a time

13. Baramundi Bob

I gave it a good rive on some of the snags and it seems to hold up pretty well. With it being so cheap I was fearful it would snap, but it seems fine. I will be using it instead of the fladen 10-20 class which is a little soft at times.

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I may just have a look at one of those Glen ,my rod went over the side last year :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: the bloody braid was brand new and cost more than the rod :crazy:

15. Baramundi Bob

Hi Harry, I love this rod for kayak fishing but I hated it on the boat mate. When you go to heavier gear like 10 oz or 1 lb leads it feels horrid and when you get a good fish on it doesnt have a lot of backbone. They are ideal for working 5 ounce leads or jiggers on the yak though. Mine is the 20lb version. Maybe the 30lb class rod would be better suited to boat fishing and the deeper water.

16. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Harry now who s the dunder head fancy leaving a rod to fish on its own you must have more money than sense (PLOP ho f ck ) s it i just buy a new one Ha Ha Ha classic

17. Baramundi Bob

I did the same on my yak. I lost one of these and a 535 over the side. Thank god they are cheep.

18. loz

loz Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Ive been using a Shakespear ugly stik braid 6lb class it seemed to cope with any thing ive thrown at it pollock to 7lb,cod to 9lb tope to 50lb+conger to 35lb from a yak and pollock to 16lb off boat but ive just bought a 12lb class version as i do find the 6lb class a little soft once the pirks/leadheads get to 5oz or above these realy are great rods that i highly recomend the butt section is a tad long so i cut 6 inches off

19. yorkpiker

yorkpiker Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Cracking thread for someone looking to get into Yak fishing thanks for bringing it back to the top, would be interested to hear how developments have progressed since the start of this thread??
    All the best
    John

20. Baramundi Bob

Im still on the Rovex integra gold. Think its my third or 4th one as I keep dropping them in the water. Just think how costly that would have been with a hundred pound rod.