1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Light Jigging Rod For Kayak And Small Boat Fishing ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

What are peoples general opinions on the best light jigging rod for kayak and small boat fishing ?

I use the Fladen 10-20 maximus. I'm quite happy with it although I often wonder if I should have opted for the 20-30 class.

http://www.whitbyanglingsupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25_63_67&products_id=666

I use a slosh 20 filled with 30 pound braid and a 20 pound mono leader. I find the leader useful for snapping out of snags which is very difficult whilst on a kayak.

Im not sure which rod Dave uses but it sure looks the part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 fish on a smelly squids head, the Spawney git

2. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i have been thinking about getting some thing for yaking and now i need to go shopping :laugh:

3. GJW

GJW Rockling

Thanks Glenn, Its something i have been thinking about lately, I could do with a short, light rod for jigging on the Kayak i was going to look at 20lb-30lb class rod preferably something under 6ft, but don't know if to go lighter now with something 12lb-15lb class. :confused:
    I look forward to hear what other Kayak anglers are using and how they rate them.. :yes:

Tightlines.. :happy:

4. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I'll be getting this in stock on Monday:

[​IMG]

They are 7ft 2pc with 12 rod rings @ £39.99 They actually have a very sensitive tip as all the strength is further down the blank. I've been trying out a sample over the last few kayaking trips and I'm well pleased with it, lobbing out 5oz grippers no problem. Excellent when bait fishing as the tip picks up every little knock but the power would play up a double figure cod no problem, did a bit of jigging with 4oz weights and it was great. The yakkin lads that have seen this rod were impressed which is a good sign :happy: I'll be using them for this year's yak fishing anyway so you'll know what I'll be winning the league and match with :cheesy: :cheesy: :laugh:

5. carpyken

carpyken New Member

I agree with Sam and Gary, I think softer rods are the way to go - especially when using braid and small lead heads - think it was Rob who made me aware of this 1st. With a stiffer rod you tend to 'bounce' fish off, a softer rod seems to keep you in contact with the fish better. I use a Shimano 12-15lb boat rod which has a nice soft through action. If I'm messing about I use a little 3ft carbon ice pike - hard work on the old arm though due to the lack of length :cheesy: .

6. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

I use the 20/30 Fladen rod with braid but last year bumped loads of fish off, I am thinking of using a stiffer rod but going back to mono to cushion the fishes lunges, the problem with kayak jigging is that, unlike being stood upright on a boat, you are sat down so when you hook a fish your rod is held at a higher angle and you have to keep the line tight between you and the fish and try to avoid the kiss of death slack line, this also coincides with the fish realizing something is not quite right and goes ballistic, mono I believe will help me maintain pressure on the hooked fish

7. GJW

GJW Rockling

Looks good Sam.. :yes: and a great price too.. :happy:

I have loads of old 5oz sinkers as i mostly use 6oz-7oz for most of my shore work now, so i thought the old 5oz leads would come in handy on the yak, would the rod handle the 5oz leads for jigging?? and do you think the length at 7ft is a good lenght for a Kayak rod.. :happy:

Cheers

Gary

8. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

now my brain hurts :laugh: :laugh:

so wt line do people use or is it each to there own???

well may just try the fladen thats in boyes for £30 rod and reel to start with.

dry or wet suit?????

9. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Gary, the Spro rod would jig 5oz. I prefer to use 4oz jigheads though with 35lb braid, worked well last year for me :wink:
    Quint, I bumped a few fish off last year but not many. I was using braid but a softer rod than you though, the lack of stretch from the braid means I know exactly what the bottom is like plus can impact the desired action to the jig. The softer rod has that give to take up those knocks/lunges from Cod, we all have our own ways though :happy: Either way I can't wait!!

10. GJW

GJW Rockling

I know exactly what you mean, i think if you decide to use braid you really need a soft tipped rod to cushion every dive lunge and kick from the fish, a 20-30lb or heavier class rod might not offer the cushion which is needed to stop bumping lightly hooked fish off or you could go the route like quint said by useing a heavier class rod but use mono which gives the cushion with the stretch in the mono, I use braid now for all my lure work for Pollack and Bass and love the extra feeling braid gives you, so i think i will opt for a softer rod and braid i might take a look at one of them rods when they arrive Sam.. :happy: :happy:

Cheers

Gary

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Same as you Gary, I use braid for just about all of my fishing and have done for quite a while now. Rods will be here lunchtime (ish) Monday, will drop you a pm once they are here.

12. CBass

CBass New Member

I fish pretty much entirely braid as well, I can't get on with mono at all for jigging, it feels slack somehow.

As with most other things the Japanese and to a lesser extent the French are light years ahead in terms of jigging and jigging gear. They have massive ranges of rods specifically for this, they tend to fish much lighter lines and jigs and the rods are rated by jig/line weight. Though there jigging tends to be a different technique its not a million miles away, the stuff they make looks out of this world, shame the rods are £200+ :scared: :vomit:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://fishing.tenryu-magna.com/offshore/osl_jigging.html&ei=NQSxSabdD-KHjAer7L3oBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://fishing.tenryu-magna.com/offshore/osl_jigging.html%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial%26hs%3DoXD

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.delta-peche.com/canne-mer/jigging-marque-TENRYU-105.html&ei=av6wSay9FeDDjAfNnazOBQ&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.delta-peche.com/canne-mer/jigging-marque-TENRYU-105.html%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial%26hs%3DCpX

http://www.tsurishopjapan.com/product_info.php?products_id=510&osCsid=0b29445614f4ae8dcf8b02f7ecc7a972

I am gonna try and go light this year for boat fishing, 12-20lb braid and lighter lures and rods I am hoping that it will be a scream, if the japanese can land a 17lb snapper on 12lb braid then I guess it can be done!

I have been looking for a soft rod to go with it, lovely as some japanese bling would be I have been looking at the Maxximus Solid C rods. What are your experiences with it BB? Sorry at the slight hijack.

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

You all need to chip in together and get your rods sent from Basspro.They are cheap as chips and sh1t hot quality,a rod to suit every occasion,cps will vouch for this.For the last couple of years in the boat i have been using 7-12lb class 7ft rods,which are softish but power right through the blank,an abu 6000 loaded with 14lb fireline and 4 or 5oz leadheads,this setup will land anything you are lightly to encounter around these parts and it's much more fun when you have a good bend in the rod.20-30lb class gear is now a thing of the past,unless you are wrecking in deeper water,once you have fish light,there is no going back...tight lines

14. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

i use a dawia 2 to 6 oz jerk bait rod its about 6foot i use 3 oz lead heads and 20lb leader and 45lb braid and ive done fine with that i will be useing the same this year the only thing ive changed is my reel from a abu 6500 rocket to a penn 975 for bass fishing i use a 10 to 50 gram jerk bait rod and a small shimano cardiff bait casting reel with 20lb braid
    cheers ian

15. robq

robq Rockling

Fladden also make 2 solid carbon spinning rods that are 6ft 5-25g and 6.5ft 10-30g. I have them both and have to say they are superb :yes: similar to the solid carbon boat rods but with slimmer tips and loads of power low down

The lighter one is my lure trolling rod, whilst the heavier one has 4 inch cut off the tip to firm it up a bit and is great for jigging up to 4-5 oz and all bait fishing duties including uptiding. I used this when out with paul on sea otter when the tide was easing off !! In 150ft of water with 20lb braid and a 3oz leadhead ,the sport with 4lb mops was superb :surprise:

I now use fixed spool baitrunner type reels almost exclusively on the yak and find them much better for trolling, casting and hitting fish when jigging. You can set the drag for fishing but when sat at anchor you can put the baitrunner on in case you get a good fish run !!

Rob

16. Dav

Dav Rockling

The rod im planning on using is an old abu garcia five star ,The rods 6`4", it says on the rod 0-6 oz lures and 25-60lb line , does this rod sound as tho it should do the job and does anyone know what class it would be classed as :crazy:. would it be 25lb ? Thanks

17. Lindisfarne

Lindisfarne New Member

That rod Dave is using looks very much like a Fladen Maxximus Solid-C 8ft (2pc). Tackle bargains do a good deal on them.....

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/Boat___Uptide_rods.html

I used one last season and found it very forgiving when using braid. They are almost indestructible as well. I managed to haul a set of creels to the surface, it was locked over so far the braid was cutting into the fore grip.

There's better gear out there but for the money they take a bit of beating.

Neil.

18. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

would you be able to use a 12ft beachcaster for uptiding (i heard that larger rods are best), if not il have to get a new one or somehow modify the one ive alredy got

19. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Not on a kayak mate. I do use my 9 foot uptider but that is a bit big. Although I have caught well on it. Something about 7 foot but able to cast 6 ounce will make a good kayak uptider. I have used my maximus for uptiding but it folds up when you try to cast.

More info on uptiding here :

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/kayak-uptiding.php

20. bellyboat

bellyboat New Member

Hey,I am a total novice to sea fishing,but I have pike fished for over a decade,fished many tornaments,I value your advise,as I have just purchased a kayak and looking to kit it out,I sold all my pike fishing eqiupment to fund the sea fishing tackle thinking it would be different,an to be honnest there aint much difference!! I do know one thing go with a softer rod with braid for jigging,and step down as fine as you dare go with the braid(it will prevent drag especially on a drift)mono will work but the fish tend to chew the bait and spit it out before you feel the hit,especially with zander and perch,which arent far off bass I think?stiff rods and heavy braid tend to pull the hooks out soft mouthed fish,but are good for pulling hooks straight on snags?.....some usefull or useless information there!