1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The best kayak

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by boatman, Dec 13, 2008.

1. boatman

boatman New Member

Hi everyone i do not own a kayak (but i will do before the spring) i was wondering what type/make of kayak everyone else had please let me know which one you have and maybe why you think its the best one or even what would be your ultimate kayak???

2. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

This ones been discussed quite a bit mate so you may find some very useful information if you do a forum search. However I never mind going back over things and personallly hate those forums where the stock answer is do a search.

I own an Ocean Prowler 13 I think its a decent all around kayak. Plenty of room for tackle and fish, very stable and light enough to be able to lift on and off the car on your own after a bit of practice.

Other kayaks I have seen/paddled include the trident 15 and scupper pro both from Ocean. Both will do the job extremely well. I think if I was buying a new one tomorrow it would be a hard deciosn but Id probably come down in favour of the scupper pro.

I'll leave the Kaskazi kayak discussion for those in the know. But if you have the cash then they are worth a look.

Good luck with whatevere you buy and dont forget to come back and tell us all about your trips next summer.

3. hugh jarse

hugh jarse Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

totally agree,it's a prowler 13 for me too.

4. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Ive got a P13 and it suits me fine but I do like the look of the dorados.

I think it really boils down to whats comfortable for you and you are happy with, dont just buy the first one you see, go and have a look at a few and try them out if possible. Myself and I'm sure plenty of other lads on the forum would gladly let you have a try in ours to help you choose the right one for you (when the weathers warmer :wink: )

5. boatman

boatman New Member

The prowler 13 does seem to be the most popular and like Baramundi Bob says the trident 15 does look good i am quite on the large size 16 stone and 6 feet tall so i was considering the t15, one other thing i was wondering about was putting it on a roof rack i have a ford focus don't know if there is a safe (or dangerous) distance that the roof bars must be?

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

You will be fine with some decent straps. I used to just strap mine straight onto the roof on my old car.

7. robq

robq Rockling

I drive focus estate m8 and have had no trouble transporting the 4.5 elite. A damn good kayak !!
    Rob

8. Jellyworm

Jellyworm Rockling

The rule to follow re load carrying on the roof rack is that is secure and if over-hanging at the rear by more than a couple of foot fit a marker board....you should be ok then....I ll be carrying my new Dorado on top of the little Citroen Saxo with a marker board at the rear as it will be hanging out a bit....also I fit a strap for and aft to the tow hitches as well as the roof rack straps.

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

There's only one true elite yak and that's the Dorado :whistle:

Seriously as a starter the P13 is a great kayak with plenty of storage space and the plastic material makes it ideal for this coast with our terrain