1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Best Bass Plug For Shore Fishing ?

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Baramundi Bob, Mar 27, 2008.

?

WhatAre Your Favourite 3 Bass Plugs For Shore Fishing ? Please State Why You Rate The Plug So High.

1. Storm Chug Bug

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. Maria Chase SW

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  3. Maria Chase BW

22 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. Maria Angel Kiss

20 vote(s)
    23.0%
  5. Yozuri Crystal Minnow

29 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Yozuri Poppers (Please state which model)

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  7. Rapala X Rap

16 vote(s)
    18.4%
  8. Maria Chico Boco

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. Maria Pop Queen

2 vote(s)
    2.3%
  10. Yo-Zuri Mag Popper

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  11. Rapala Skitter Pop

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  12. Daiwa Saltiga

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Grauvell (please State Which Model)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. Dexter Darter

4 vote(s)
    4.6%
  15. One That Isnt Listed Here (Please State Which Below)

12 vote(s)
    13.8%
  16. Megabass Zonk Gatoride

8 vote(s)
    9.2%
  17. Patchinko Top Water

6 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I must state I am no expert at this as last year was my first. However......

Last season we did a lot of trolling over rough ground. Over rock ledges and around kelp beds. We generally troll then if you find a spot with a few fish you stop and cast at them.

We never experimented much with sandy areas but im sure if you get the right area and conditions the bass will be playing on the sand too.

Basically its troll to find the fish and cast once you have found them. Over time you seem to notice that the bass turn up in the same places so you could go there and cast and have success.

I think quint does a bit of casting in areas hes had past success ???

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

Glen when your trolling targetting bass , do you use deep divers or are you just sub surface ? and what sort of depth is it your actually trolling ? cheers

3. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

That's the ugly truth. Colour, shape, action, all of them are of little importance compared to finding the feckn fish in the first place. Once you've found them, they're about as difficult to catch as mackerel. Especially when they shoal up. In fact, quite a few on here have mentioned how a £1 mackerel spinner will catch bass as good as anything, once you've found them.

What no one seems to want to mention, is exactly how many hours not catching them you're going to spend. On our stretch of coast, you can spend literally days not catching... :crazy: :cry:

4. Baramundi Bob

Like shelling peas when you find them but like pulling teeth when you dont. Im a firm believer that just like any other fish they are creatures of habbit. Learning the habbits will be the difficult bit but well worth the effort.

Im gonna add a couple of Abu Tobys to the list too this year and I've spotted some nice swimming eels in a lure catalogue Ive been reading.

5. 09tindac

09tindac Could'nt catch a cold

for bass trolling whats the best lures. Deep diving or shallow ones.

In alot of posts you guy's talk about fish around the Scarborough coast often feeding on the bottom, so would deep diving lures be best???

Thanks
    Phil T

6. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

As long as your lure / plug isn't skipping along the surface you'll be fine. But even if it is, that's pretty much what poppers do, so I wouldn't worry too much. Keep an eye out for gulls diving behind you - that's a sure sign your lure's a bit high / or riding on the surface.

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats what mnakes it fun biscuit lad , the fact its not like mackerel fishing and a fish a cast , im afraid if it were like that ide get abit sick after a while ......Ive fished next to someone who has caught fish on a certain colour and i havent then change the colour and bang ,,,,,,This has happened many times not just a one off either , i beleive colour is very important......

8. Dav

Dav Rockling

I also tried quite a few different sized tobies as well glen , and never had a touch on any ...yet the plugs did the bizz. Strange i know .....
    So how deep are you trolling ?

9. Baramundi Bob

It really does vary Dav. As you know my 2 fave lures are jointed thunderstick and Maria BW and they both work just below the surface. Infact Ive studied the storm Thunderstick when Mike is trolling it and I conclude it spends as much time on surface as underneath. I now refer to it as a subsurface/popper cross - lol

On occasion we have tried slightly deeper water and found the yozuri crystal minnow to be good for this. I think New Spawney DAve has tried Deeper with the sliver with pretty good success. I also found that the yozuri crystal minnow accounts for its fair share of pollock too.

Other people I would like to ask about lure fishing are CPS, MWW and Doc, and ask what kind of depth they fish in and what lures they find to be best.

10. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

As soon as I get into depths of 15 - 20 foot I use the Rapala J-13 (blue) or the Sliver (sandeel), these lures in my opinion take some beating - however if the contours go up and down over scars then I will use an X-Rap that goes to 6 foot - for shallow ground then it's the maria angel kiss, but I prefer to cast and retrieve this so I can cover all the ground

11. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

That's pretty much my set up, except no J13, and maria chase instead angel kiss. The Sliver is quite something when you're trolling, fair sets your rod tip strumming away and stays pretty deep. The MCs can ride a bit high if you're not careful. I think they've started making the Xrap in bigger sizes - the ones I've got are just a bit small, but they still catch plenty. Was thinking this year of splashing out on some fancy JDM plugs, but the more sensible part of me tells me just to keep my money in my pocket, and don't believe the hype! :wink:

12. Baramundi Bob

What are JDM lures ?

13. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

If you get over or keep up with a shoal of bass and they're feeding, it's a fish a cast. There's no skill in it mate. I'm not saying it isn't great fun, it is, but most of the time you're just catching the odd solitary fish. In those cases it might be different. I was talking to old guy in Devon last year, and he said they went out to some reefs, and the water was like crystal, and they could see huge shoals of bass. Hundreds of them. But they couldn't get any of them to take. Then a chap came with them, and tried a fly rod with a tiny little white feather (bit like a smaller version of a mackerel feather) and caught them cast after cast. After that they we're all at, mostly with bubble floats and normal rods, but all with the same little feather. I think size is the critical thing. To be honest, most of my bass are on subsurface lures, and they attack from underneath, so they must just see a silhouette. Guess that's fairly dark grey?

14. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

Japanese domestic market.

15. GJW

GJW Rockling

I was lucky enough to find a big shoal of bass feeding last season and i agree with biscuit lad they were taking any lure you chucked at them it was good for me as it gave me confidence as i swapped between several types of plugs surface/subsurface and caught on all of them, the reason being was there was a big shoal of bait fish and the bass were attacking them and so were the tern's, i actually caught a tern my braid wrapped around its wing and whilst i was untangling it a bass took my plug just floating motionless on the surface, i manged to untangle the tern and land the bass aswell..

But on the other hand i have been fishing with the plugs and havent had a take then a lad came down with a fly rod and took a nice bass very first cast and then lost another bass just 10yrds from were i was fishing, there was a few other lads plugging and caught nothing, so i believe the bass were feeding on small bait fish or shrimp and wern't intrested in taking the bigger plugs, so it just goes to show we don't have all the answers after all if we did it would all become pretty boring.

16. biscuitlad

biscuitlad Guest

That is my nightmare scenario when the gulls are diving on your lure! They're a great indicator, but they're fekn nuisance too. Specially with poppers.

[quote author=GJW]
    But on the other hand i have been fishing with the plugs and havent had a take then a lad came down with a fly rod and took a nice bass very first cast and then lost another bass just 10yrds from were i was fishing, there was a few other lads plugging and caught nothing, so i believe the bass were feeding on small bait fish or shrimp and wern't intrested in taking the bigger plugs, so it just goes to show we don't have all the answers after all if we did it would all become pretty boring.
    [/quote]

I've never had the courage to try much with the fly rod. Just can't quite make myself believe I'll catch as many - even though, as both our stories suggest, there are probably times when you can only catch with a fly. It's just one of those things, dare you take the risk? If I had confidence in fishing a fly, I would try it more and maybe do better. But because plugs have worked for me, I stick with them. Fear of failure, it's a bit sad isn't it?!

17. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

seen as though its not long untill the first bass will turn up i thought id bring this back to attention

18. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

i think im just about stocked up but ill probly spend a few more quid...one thing gets me tho, how come lures cost so much money when shakespear can produce them for around £2? they are just about all mass produced abroad in china or japan. even storm

19. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Dan, hold a £2 lure next to a £15 lure and you'll see the difference :wink: A cheap lure is cheap for a reason, made from cheap components and unreliable. If I was lucky enough to hook into a good sized Bass I'd want to know the lure on the end is going to stand up to the job.

20. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

i can not say that if you put the lures next to each other, but with other thing you can tell the difference, i have paid £8 to £14 for the lures i have got and they seem to be good build quality