1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The bass limit

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by simon22, Jan 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Can someone tell me if it's right we now have to put all bass back till June. Getting different info from different people. Ie it only applies to Irish Sea, it's only from the wash to such a place and not North Sea coast!! Anyone got the info in black and white so I know what's what. Put me bass back anyway but just so others know and I can tell people the facts. Thanks

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Until NIFCA repeal the existing bylaw (3 fish limit) and replace it with the new no fish till July bylaw then the existing bylaw (3 fish limit) still applies

Given how long it took them to introduce the 3 fish rule after the EU ruling then it wouldnt surprise me if its not May/June time till we see any changes to the rule, its still got to be advertised as a rule change before they can adopt it

3. FireFly

FireFly Blenny

Take a look at this mate.
    Bass Fishing - Interesting Article by Nigel Farage
    All Bass have to be put back whether dead or alive ( I know), until 30 June. July 1st then you can only take 1 fish per day only and this covers both shore and boat-caught-fish by pleasure anglers.
    That's for all the UK not just certain areas. :-(

Yet at the same time the under ten metre commercial fleet will be allowed to catch 1.3 tonnes per month albeit with a break period from February and March which is the spawning season.
    Regards

4. idge

idge Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I have been on the IFCA website and it says the bass limit is 3 fish. I believe these are the people who police the fish limits. Therefore the limit must be 3 fish (at the moment).

Ian

5. navmanfish

navmanfish Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Maria Miller asked in parliament to-day for further debate

to enable pleasure anglers to be able to take bass.

she & other mps have asked why increase gill net quotas & reduce pleasure rod

returns, therefore increasing the amount available to commercial quotas.

also taking into account the effect of small tackle shops selling bling for the

bass purists etc etc.

6. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Thanks lads. You could be breaking the law and not know it with so many rules by laws and what not

7. bassman

bassman Administrator

8. Bassplugger

Bassplugger Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Simon there is a section about it in this month's sea angler magazine and you are right about the new law. You cannot take any bass until June and even then the bag limit of 1 fish per person comes into force. The commission have said that there is a massive problem with dwindling bass stocks all over the British isles and us shore fishermen contributing to 30% of bass taken on a daily basis which I think is total rubbish!!! They can't say that we are nearly up there with the numbers caught by trawlers What a crock of shi*t* more like 2 % at a push. Who comes up withm1these pathetic figures we fish for bass yes but when I go plugging over low or high its 3 or 4 hours not daily not for a living and I wouldn't sell fish either they go straight back. Someone needs to voice our concerns over us being put in the same group of people who are Killing the bass in huge numbers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Agree bassplugger. Can not see how the shore angler takes 30 percent. How good r we ffs

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. glassback

glassback Blenny

the figures take into account fish caught on rod and line and then sold ,by people who are not licensed
    and by boats netting illegally .or rod and line etc
    you may think it is way above what you think it can be .
    which i agree it is .
    but ive seen small boats ,even kayaks catch over 50 bass in one tide .
    so while there was no limits to the amount a rsa angler could take before ,it is to try and stop the unlicensed selling of bass caught .
    i have caught over 30 bass in 3hrs from the shore
    so you could make a good impression if you did it every day .
    but i put all my fish back any way so it will not affect me anyway

• Like Like x 2
  11. glassback

glassback Blenny

there will also be a interwiew on countryfile on 24th jan ,with nigel horsemam ,bass anglers society regarding the bass stocks and the new rulings etc

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi @glassback Hear what your saying mate. But how often would u catch 30 fish a tide. I know that was not your point and I know you are just making a point. Just seems very wrong that we seem to be taken the pi@@ off when we only catch a very small number. I would not have a problem if it was fair

13. glassback

glassback Blenny

if the conditions were right you would keep catchnig for a week untill they were either gone or caught .but normaly only for a few days then they would move with the bait fish .
    but if you had a boat or rib ,kayak then you can cover
    a lot more ground and stay intouch with them .
    when its to rough on shore . its often still ok on boats .but if anglers dont help them selves and try and change they policys the goverment have made .
    then it will stay the same .
    a lot of anglers are there own worse enemies and disagree with it but wont do any thing to try and help
    stop it .
    and then just continue to moan about it .

14. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Agree mate totally. It's left to someone else to

• Agree Agree x 1