1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Angling Trust And Anglersafloat Embraces Kayak Anglers

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by carpyken, Nov 27, 2010.

1. mattylamb

mattylamb Rockling

Re: The Angling Trust Embraces Kayak Anglers

aye thats the worry mate, to the tune of pink floyd - "We don't need no regulation!"

2. snapper

snapper Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hurst's Parrot? it's NOT the BCU, is it.

3. carpyken

carpyken New Member

Its a sad day when a selected few members of one of the main kayak angling forums decides undemocratically on a decision like this:

AnglersAfloat and the Angling Trust are working together to help further the sport of Kayak Fishing.

http://anglersafloat.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=13518

And then the decision is made to 'discuss Angling Trust issues' behind closed doors.

Once you have joined and received your membership send a private message to "admin" with your Name, Forum Name and Angling Trust membership number. You will then be given access to the Angling Trust side of the forum. Here you will be able to discuss issues, enter competitions and even get involved in Angling Trust projects, making a difference.

Not for me I'm afraid.......

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Seems a shame Ken after all the good work and effort you have put in on this forum and ellsware in the country, :sad: all i can say is it's there loss.

5. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

And they say it isn't elitist on AA :laugh:

I watched the thread on AA with interest Ken, did start getting a bit heated on there. I get the impression they expected everyone to rave about it and join straight away, but as we saw it isn't for everyone and I think a few noses were knocked out of joint.

I'm sure they have the sport's best interest in mind but it does worry me that at some point in the future it'll become mandatory to join this sort of thing before you go kayak fishing. We've managed just fine without the Angling Trust and I don't see why we need them now. This whole 'have your voice heard and make a difference' doesn't wash with me either, why have a voice if no one listens to you anyway?

Anyway, won't be joining and don't intend to in the future. However hopefully the people that have joined gain something from it, only time will tell I guess.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I really wouldnt loose any sleep Ken. The majority of hardcore kayak anglers in this region will continue as normal and still be the very best kayak anglers around with or without anglersafloat and AT. You know the northern lads will knock spots off most other real anglers. As for the angling trust kayaking business, it will all die a death, as everything they do always does.

One of the main problems with the angling trust, as you have just found out Ken, is you have to pay to be a member, and anyone who doesnt pay is not alound in the inner circle, yet they still claim to represent all sea anglers. How does that work then ??

I wouldnt worry about that inner circle on AA either, my guess is it will be a dead part of the forum.

Whitby Sea Anglers is free to all, as is our information. Theres no secret chambers here and we will continue to give quality angling information to the masses free of charge.

7. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

You better believe it baby!! :cheesy: :cheesy:

8. Baramundi Bob

9. Baramundi Bob

10. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Just having a quick scan through some details regarding the benefits of joining this "scheme".

one thing that moved me to post this was in referance to the SOT courses, as I understand from the description if you join the angling trust then you can have the course for £35 but if your not a member it will cost you £65...what percentage of this goes to the RNLI as opposed to the 100% of the previous donation? no mention at all is given to the proceeds and how/where they will be placed

even with the membership fee of £20 that is still a quite large £55 for the course (although i might add an excellent course it may be)
    but where once it was all in the interest of safety and encouragment of a fantastic sport, all of a sudden the price has rocketed and the destination of the funds has become blurry to say the least
    AA members check your inbox...you'll see what im talking about

apparently its all ok though as we will be able to nominate a kayakker to the AT after 1 YEAR in the meantime I assume all this is completley pointless if it ever will have a point

this whole thing sounds worse the more I look into it, maybe im just naturally suspicious of people who want money and offer what looks like something but is quite clearly nothing beneath the surface

seriously....where does the money go?

11. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Now Ben,

As far as I know the money from the courses goes to the course instructor(s) which I haven't a problem with tbh, Ken will tell you that it does cost a lot to get the qualifications plus add on mileage, accommodation, etc it all soon adds up. I like to think that the extra £30 they make from non members would go to the RNLI.
    I think they were very generous when they offered the full course fees from previous courses to the RNLI considering the effort/miles they went to, you really can't expect them to do it at their personal expense.

12. Benq23

Benq23 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

dont have a problem with things such as expenses sam and Ive never knocked the course that they provided, what im saying is the vein of it has changed into what looks like a very lucrative enterprise. It appears to have changed from being an informal day provided by people passionate about the sport to a chain of coaches across the coutry trained in a heartbeat and cashing in
    but as has been stated in the info on AA the new coaches would be local, so I cant see it taking that amount of money (think how many were at the runswick courses....now x that by £65) to pay for them to drive locally and spend a day showing a bunch of new lads the ropes
    the way i see it is that it is simply a carrot on a stick to get people to join AT, some are joining because of the insurance (quite why you would need that level of insurance on a paddled craft i have no idea) some are joining for the "cheaper" SOT course
    at the end of it all those who have signed up have swelled the ranks of the angling trust and given them more reason to continue claiming to represent us as a whole whilst making decisions on our behalf without our consultation
    but if I can get trained to a professional standard and fully certified by this nationally recognised and totally non spurious organisation in 12 months...then demand £650 a day to show ten lads how to anchor a kayak, then sign me up

13. Baramundi Bob

This is by far the most concerning thing Ben.

All the talk over the past few years of Sea Angling Licences, bag limits, closed zones, Article 47, sea angling strategy etc etc etc etc (you could go on for ever), all came about because the likes of the National Federation Of Sea Anglers (Now the Angling Trust) knocked on the governments door to tell them how many sea anglers there were and how much we are worth to the economy. Since that time The government and its related bodies and quangos have had a field day studying us and playing politics with sea angling.

Ask yourself this 1 question, thinking only about sea angling. What representation does kayak fishing currently need ?

At present you get on your kayak, you paddle out, and you catch fish.

Mark my words, once the Angling Trust have started playing politics with our sport you can expect more of what Ive mentioned above. Think of things like : Being forced to go on a course, being forced to have insurance, launch fees, bag limits, hassle from the new IFCAS.

They will cause far more problems than they ever solve, and not once will they look at commercial over fishing.

14. Valleybuoy

Valleybuoy Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Some blood pressure raising stuff on here lads - chill pills all round.

“I’ve spent time getting to know kayak angling and attending AnglersAfloat meets this year at Oxwich Bay and Ladram Bay. They have been some of the most passionate and constructive anglers I have come across. It is essential that as the representative body for all angling in England we represent and support the interests of all kayak anglers” David Mitchell, Angling Trust’s Marine Environmental Campaigns Manager.

Oxwich was a SWKA meet of course not an AA one........

Hope we'll see some of you guys at Oxwich 2011 - and I for one would like to venture up north for one of your meets next year.

15. Baramundi Bob

Who gave him that remit ??

Here's my message to anyone who claims to represent me

[​IMG]

16. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

REALLY hope it stays that way Glenn, I'm worried it won't be that simple in the future though :cry:

With regards to the course I understand why AA have joined up with AT as that was their only choice if they wanted to legally run these courses. However everything else is of no real benefit and I'm expecting AT to shaft us at some point.

If a course was run locally I wonder how many people would turn up next year, they may not run a course until they have over say 15 people to make it 'worthwhile'. At which point a newbie will of launched many times until the 15 target is reached. Generally if someone looks into buying a kayak it doesn't take long before you end up on here or any of the other kayak fishing sites where everything you need to know is there, also great sites for networking so a newbie can tag along with some experienced yakkers.
    It works, we don't need AT for that.

Ben,

Ken is probably the best person to answer the question regarding costs involved in getting qualified and training and if AT would 'cash in' at all.

:laugh: :laugh: @ Glenn's pic. Good one.

Valleybuoy,

It's ok bud we are all nicely chilled up here, just a few of us aren't supporting the AT being involved. Just a difference of opinion that's all :wink:

17. Baramundi Bob

We have 4 new kayakers here in Whitby. I know they read the site but haven't posted here as yet. We aim to get them out with us in the spring and introduce them to the wonderful world of kayak fishing.

18. Crab Nut

Crab Nut Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

19. carpyken

carpyken New Member

20. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

Ken, isn't that code of conduct for freshwater anglers? I can understand why they would propose something like that when paddling/fishing freshwater venues but obviously bot sea anglers. I would of thought commen sense is the best code of conduct.