1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing the new suit & re-entry drills

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by V8_Rob, Dec 6, 2011.

1. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

I really didn't fancy launching again after being unable to re-enter the kayak the other week post a capsize, regardless of the extreme circumstances!. Psychologically it didn't sit well so I decided a few pool drills would put this right, plus I'd have the opportunity to put my new Typhoon PS200 drysuit through its paces.

I was only in the water around 15-20 minutes, though it gave me the opportunity to do a dozen re-entries, all successful!. My new drysuit is much heavier than my Kokatat drysuit, though this wasn't an issue when it came to doing a re-entry. It was 100% watertight with not so much as a drop of water entering the suit, very pleasing!.

I also took the opportunity to practice a couple of capsizes with the large centre hatch open. I've always been of the belief that the upturned kayak would act like a diving bell with the trapped air preventing water from entering the hatch entrance. That turned out to be the case with only a litre or two of water entering the kayak after two capsizes.

I put a little video clip together, enjoy

Capsizing & re-entry drills

Now the weather just needs to improve so I can chase those winter cod once more :D

2. andym

andym Rockling

Great stuff Rob your mind will be at ease once again I know exactly how you must have been feeling when I first got my dorado I had problems practicing re entrys and had to swim the yak into shallow water and it bugged me until I had mastered.

It still amazes me that some people don't even practice re entrys

3. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

I've never had a problem doing a re-entry, well... only with a topped up drysuit :laugh:

4. andym

andym Rockling

I could re entry on ocean kayak in my sleep but the dorado is a totally different beast but once mastered its a doddle just slightly different technique

5. frank avey

frank avey Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

could only think that it must be totally different at sea when theres some movement on the water,i would not like to go out on my own and would feel safer if help was at hand .
    must be an experience kayak fishing but issues with health stop me doing it ,wish it had been out 30 yrs ago.

frank.

6. Semtex Simon

Semtex Simon Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Thanks for posting the video Scurmpy , your a lucky man to have a pool to practice in

7. V8_Rob

V8_Rob New Member

Yup, I cant complain. I'll go down again after Christmas and experiement a bit more with my drybox or my flambeau box open. Just curious to see what difficulties, if any, it'll introduce and how they can be overcome. After trying a couple of things with the centre hatch removed I'm now intrigued to see how other factors will influence a recovery. During the week is good for me, if I'm not fishing I have little else to do with my evenings, keep an eye out for the next installment :cheesy: