1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tenryu spinning rods - Worth The Dosh ??

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by glassback, Aug 29, 2010.

1. tatch1

tatch1 Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I reckon baramundi"s right i use a daiwa a greys an ugly sapphire and an older normark all do their job all expensive enough rods ( Barring the ugly ) & i would not swap them for a tenryu.each to his own i think

2. kevinh

kevinh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Having only been plugging for a year or so... i still use and old freshwater rod and have taken approx 100 bass this year on it.

I have recently aquired a Teklon Concept Spin 802ML but being very short and light compared to what i'm used to, i havent even tried it yet.. think i better give it a go

3. rupert

rupert Blenny

OK - I'll raise my head above the parapit on this one! Do I think the Tenryu rods are worth roughly 3 to 6 times the price of other very servicable spinning rods - Savage, Daiwa, etc. My honest answer is no. :no:

The reason I have this opinion is that I fancied one for salmon fishing, in particular for casting rapala lures. Earlier this year I bought a Tenryu Super Mix 270 on fleebay and paid roughly 1/3 of new list price. Sure it does what I bought it for - it's pokey, but with a sensitive tip and light (but not as light as i expected), but in truth when I've used it, I haven't had that feeling of "What I have been missing out on up to now".

For what I paid for it I'm certainly not complaining, but in truth I'm not sure that I'd rush out and buy another. I think I'd put my money towards buying a better reel.

4. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I was informed once Rob, that a top beach rod cost about £30 to produce. We're all getting ripped off :yes:

5. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Keep it under wraps Kev your doing well enough without it mate :educated: :educated:

There's lots of plugging rod's available these day's at varying prices and all will do a job,some better than others just the same as every other type of rod used to catch fish.

Got to agree with you Rupert if I was just chucking a sub surface plug or spinner then I would probably have looked at something else,its when you work the surface plugs and plastics a proper plugging rod comes into it's own.

I have spoken to Graham via PM on a few occasions and he is a very knowledgeable and helpful guy so if these rod's ain't much good why did he go to the trouble of getting his rebuilt, he will probably be the first to admit his gear does get some use and I will admit I would have expected the rod to perhaps last a little longer.

6. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Graham does seem to do well on the rod like, I must admit that. But how much of that is about knowledge of the marks and when to fish and how to work the lures. Will a red rod work the lures in a different way ?

7. kevinh

kevinh Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I think i need to find the right reel at the right price now though..... something to suit the teklon

8. Shadrap

Shadrap Rockling

Doesn't have to be red Glenn just a rod that's designed for plugging.Have you had a go with Dan's orange rod and noticed any difference,has he noticed any difference?
    I reckon Graham was using a magic wand earlier today :wink: :wink:

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

I understand that its a very thin, light rod. The Shimano Rarenium would be a good match imo Kev

10. boris

boris New Member

I have coarse match fished for 24 years, fished the beaches for the last 12 years.
    So I have seen quite a bit of expensive kit especially on the freshwater match scene.
    To compete on any big open you need the best pole money can buy on todays carp puddles especially.

But the prices they charge for a top of the range pole really is scary (£2000ish++).
    I must admit spending over £200 on normal rods.
    But looking at them can anyone honestly say that any rod they own over the £200 mark has been better value for money than a less expensive rod they use to do the same job?

I must admit though some beach rods are an exception.

11. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

I had mine Stripped and rebuilt because I had a little accident my kayak went down north landing some of the way it was on top of my rodbar it only scratched the paint I now the eyes on the rodbar are expensive for the same price you can buy a bush wacker
    You can't compare the rod to a sure spin
    Or the dawia powermesh x spin either the rod bar is in a different league the rods I've talked about are rods I've owned dawia powermesh x spin is dawia new plugging rod it's nothing like a rod bar it's a nice rod but different the best way of describing it is tippy

12. jacfodder

jacfodder Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi glassback.
    Save your money mate there are plenty of cheaper rods out there just as good.

As already stated the fish don't give a toss all they want is that lure zipping passed there nose.

It would be nice to know just how much tenyru pay for the blank before shafting you with the price

13. cps

cps Rockling

i've been semi looking for a new bass plug rod for a good few years [maybe 4] and still haven seen anything i like ,
    main problem is never see all the ones i sort of like in the same place at once to compair
    quite fancyed a mike ladlie sure spin 4 peice but not quite enough in the lower half so still looking

14. cps

cps Rockling

15. rupert

rupert Blenny

Chris - My boat partner uses a ML 4 piece and its a very pleasant rod to use.

If you're looking for something a bit pokier, I bought a Savage Multi purpose spin 9' rated 40 - 100 gram. (They also do them in 10'). I daren't tell you how little these cost, but they represent fantastic value for money. They're too over-powered for casting light bass lures, but for float fishing for bass and pollock they really have plenty of beef and are ideal.

The other lure rod that impressed me was the Sonik SK4 rods - http://www.soniksports.com/gb/product/167/sk4-spinning-rod

I nearly bought one for (another) salmon lure rod, but got side tracked with the Super Mix instead!

16. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Ive tried Dans but its not for me, but he thought mine was too heavy.

17. dan the pollock

dan the pollock Rockling

Not with the casting weight and action, but the actual weight of it, Ive used several whiskers and love them but i could never afford them when i was little.

Now that im waiting for a new section for my rod, ive gone back to my old spinning rod and my arm starts aching after just an hours use.

i think at the end of the day its all down to personal preferance.

18. ian 07

ian 07 Guest

Dan have you snapped your rod ?
    While I've been waiting for Richard to come back from France I bought a 2.5lb test curve drennan esos first day out 30 gram plug second cast snapped just above spigot so they sent me a new tip if some one is looking for a new plugging rod and the don't want a Red rod have a look at the dawia powermesh x spin I have a 9ft rod 10 to 40 gram I got mine for £86.00 posted

19. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

Looks like you'll never be able to afford one then Dan :laugh:

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

The branzino reel is the same sort of price i think chris.. :surprise:

Ive tried Dans but its not for me, but he thought mine was too heavy.
    [/quote]

Glen if you balance your set up by strapping a piece of lead to the rod base i can guarantee your rod will feel as light as any dedicated plugging rod.....and you may even think it performs better