1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tees barrage

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by peter catchpole, Sep 14, 2011.

1. bucko

bucko New Member

With regard to the low counts- I assume the counters only record fish of a certain size.
    I say this because the reported sea trout sightings and captures this year seriously outweigh those figures.
    Unless of course they are all going over the gate.

As for the seals- its good to see them being discussed in terms that aren't exaggerated, after all if they were taking 'millions' then tens of thousands of salmon would make it upstream.
    However, culls aren't going to happen, nor is anything that prevents them from feeding.
    We can hope that nature balances things out as it has done in the past with that 'flu type' virus that comes round every so often- but in the meantime I'd just be glad its one or two of Tees resident population and not the full 'gang' from Greatham.

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

I was down the barrage last weekend ,the screws were filling the white water course ,the tide was flooding
    there was a couple of seals meandering about ,

BUT the most shocking thing i saw was ,the fish ladder was dry , :sad:
    all the water being drawn up by the screws was diverting it straight on the white water course :yes:

not a drop was going down the fish Ladder, dont know why :confused:

3. Dav

Dav Rockling

Thats strange harry as the main ladder is not connected to the white water course as far as im aware it comes in from the river side and just runs down to the tide way . unless you mean another ladder ?

4. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

The ladder is the one that is at the side of the screw,it runs from the river up along side the concrete wallyou can lean over and see the ladder ,

it is the same one that leads to the old fish counter ,it has green mesh covering it in some parts at the top,
    i looked at the screws and the water ca be stopped from going down the ladder ,

you have a look next time your there, i will take a photo if it happens again when i am there ,

5. Dav

Dav Rockling

This one Harry ?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This ladder is fed direct from the river side of the barrage H. i would imagine for this to run dry the feed into it from the river would have to be cut off , not sure how theyd do that like ...?

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

Or is this part dry harry ?
    [​IMG] if it is it must be just above this and below the cage into the slalom , it must be underground if it is ?

7. noj

noj Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

H, was the fish ladder between the screws the one that you saw dry
    in which case I wouldnt be surprised it was dry
    According to the EA the ones inside the slalom are not yet working, they also told me the slalom is currently not open to the lower river - in which case it dosnt matter if its dry at this time because there wont be any fish in the slalom to run through that route anyway.
    As Dav has pointed out the main fish ladder is the one next to the dam wall

can you let us know which one was dry, itll be the weekend before i can go and have a look myself

if its the main one and its closed when I get there, ill be straight on to the EA complaining, I mean what else have i paid my salmon license fee for, if not to complain - I mean what was i thinking buying a slmon licnse on the tees, not even in my wildest dreams did it cross my mind that it was buying a salmon license in order to catch a tees salmon.

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

It is the second photo Dav ,that is the same ladder that leads to the first picture isnt it :confused:

9. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Aye Dav this is the one that was dry , it was running when i git there ,then after i had done my photo shoot i walked around the course ,and the screws were putting a hell of a lot of water down the course ,

i had never seen it as full , and the fish ladder was dry , gospel truth mate .

10. noj

that looks like the main fish pass to me
    if the screws are taking its water presumbaly at low tide when the river height will be used to generate electricity, then there is no hope for fish to get over the barrage at anything other than high tide.

If the hydro on the ribble is anything to go by - it doesnt appear to matter to the hydro managers that they would take the water necessary to operate fish passes

H do you know what state of the tide was it when the screws were running and the pass was dry

11. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

not sure think the tide was flooding , if you have a tees tide table ,check what time high tide was last Sunday
    22-4-12 at 12-30 pm think you add an hour on for newprt bridge , you will be some ware near .

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Just checked it myself , low tide at newport bridge was , 11-19 am, so the tide had been making for two hours when the ladder was dry ,

me thinks you have a problem there lads,,

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

It is fed from the freshwater upstream , thats how i cant understand how it ran dry ....

14. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Wish i had taken a photo of it lads, :sad: i had my camera as well,
    the only reason i noticed is ,because every time i go i look to see if there is any fish comeing up it ,

there is like fingers pointing down the ladder that i have never seen before . and i thought ,how the hell is a fish going to jump up there with just an inch of water in the ladder,

not a drop running down it , :no:

15. bucko

bucko New Member

Just to clarify- you are on about this part?

If so then calling British Waterways on 0113 281 6800 would probably give you a less speculative answer than anyone on here- as I'm sure most of us are stumped as to why they would cut the flow off.

[​IMG]

16. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

NO this is not the part, it is the part of the ladder that comes from the main river, that raises up the side of the concrete wall as shown in davs photo,
    it eventualy links up to the part that you have posted up Bucko,

and it is all so as far as i am aware the only fish ladder at the barrage ,
    i will be there again on sunday , if any one wants to meet me there just pm me and i will be there and show you , maybee it will happen again when i am there , any way i will be there with my camera and see what happens .

17. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

this is the part that was dry .

18. bucko

bucko New Member

All I can think is that with the recent rainfall the gates must have been down and more than sufficient water coming through for fish to get up.
    I'm sure that given the scrutiny the construction comes under that they wouldn't do such a thing lightly and that it would have been a temporary measure endorsed by the EA.
    It would have been evident if fish were stuck there and the seals were 'bagging up'.

I'm not disputing anyone's opinions but I really wonder where we go with the constant pontification of the barrage situation.

New measures have been put in, the Anglers Trust, Trout & Salmon Association and such like are on the case, most anglers have signed the various petitions and monitoring programmes are in place.

Is there any more that can be done- I think not and we as anglers stand the risk of this becoming the main political angling issue and it taking focus away from other risks to stocks (Hydro at Broken Scar anyone?????)

19. noj

I have just received notification, that the final year of the fish tagging program is to be postponed, untill 2013, in order to trial various operating scenarios, to achieve optimum conditions for fish passage, before the final stage of the program.

20. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/news/130731.aspx

The fact that salmon were discovered in the River Leven last year for the first time in over 150 years sounds to me like good news.
    I'm not a salmon angler myself but I have caught pike on a regular basis between Yarm and Ingleby Barwick on the Tees and the coarse fishing is generally very good. As the Leven flows into the Tees, at least some Salmon must be successfully negotiating the Tees Barrage and getting through the new fish pass at the weir on the Leven as well. Who knows how many fail, but at least it's good news for the Leven, if not the Tees. The stretch of the Leven below the weir is rarely fished, from what I've seen on the few occasions when I've fished there from the kayak, and I've found that it can provide surprisingly good sport. I've had several chub up to 3lb from undercuts in the riverbank and there are some monster Perch in there too.
    I've seen plenty of wildlife along the same stretch as well including a colony of toads, otters, deer and plenty of Herons. Near to the weir itself, small Brown Trout can easily be seen in the shallows in clear water conditions.
    It doesn't take much imagination to guess what it could be like if there was a better fish pass at the Tees Barrage.