1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tees barrage

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by peter catchpole, Sep 14, 2011.

1. noj

noj Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have just been notified that the fish passes in the slalom are still not fully functioning and the no 1 gate which has been used to provide attractant flow for the main fish pass still has not been repaired.
    which may in part account for the low numbers of migratory fish negotiating the barrage so far this season
    and may also be the real reason the final year of the tagging program has been delayed
    surely these improvments & repairs which have a major impact on migratory fish are so far behind schedule that a penalty should be eaxacted from british waterways

2. rizla

rizla Blenny

i don't know anything about the pros and cons of the fish pass,but the tees is in better condition than it has been for 100+ years,the lower tees between the fish pass and the sea that is. i lived near the tees in the 50s and 60s and at that time it was one of the most polluted rivers in europe.the only living entities at that time were bacteria and slime moulds and the oxygen level was far too low to support fish.the old story of if you ingested water from the tees and needing hospital treatment is true.there were no runs of salmon between the 1930s and the 1980s when it statrted to be cleaned up,but in reality it went back to beforhttp://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/Tees_SAP_Final_Report_Feb_2009.pdfe the 30s as industrial pollution increased. read the current and predicted stock performance,section 2,it's only a paragraph,but gives an idea of runs.http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/static/documents/Leisure/Tees_SAP_Final_Report_Feb_2009.pdf

3. bucko

bucko New Member

As much as I really don't want to drag up the tired old Tees Barrage debacle I think I should perhaps state the following.
    Due to the amount of 'noise' being created on other websites from certain people I feel I should maybe point out (as most people will have already realised) that my reference to beavers being re-introduced was a little wind up in anticipation of April fools day that peaked a bit too early- I didn't have to get the photoshopped Gazette headline out!
    So please disregard (as I'm sure the sane amongst you will) any references on Flyforums, Northern Game Angler, Facebook and suchlike to the anglers on this site supporting beavers being released on the Tees.
    As far as I'm aware there are no plans for a scheme of that nature and it was a joke, a jape, a prank, a wind up etc............

4. Teesdale

Teesdale Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I take it Mr Lochbois is playing up then Bucko

5. F.C.

F.C. Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Re: Teesbarrage from a newbie, Hi all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18401162

the powers that be maybe should take note of this, especially this bit:

The failure to build fish ladders when the dams were originally built had decimated what was once one of the richest salmon runs outside Alaska.

Same problem on the Tees Barrage a complete and utter failure to build fish ladders when the barrage was built, now im afraid it would be too costly to install them, what purpose does the barrage serve ? Was supposed to stop the flooding further upstream but that still happens also :eek:

I think the barrage should be taken down, but then that would stop all the water sports from happening which generates proberbly more cash than a few fish, so it wont happen. Survey after survey has been carried out and they will continue, as nobody will admit they made a mistake and blocked the run of migratory fish on the river Tees.

They have taken the stupid Cage out now, and I hope removed the stupid blockages from the white water course allowing some fish to swim up the river, But alas they are not working either and will take time to repair, but it will take a fair few years if ever to return to the Salmon/Sea Trout/Eel river it once was, and the Seals will continue to ploat the Salmon/Seatrout etc returning to the river.

I am looking forward to reading the catch returns from the Tees for this year which should be available in April 2013, might be worth a note here, that the Tyne is the best river system in the UK for Salmon, but N.W.A. has been rearing and stocking Salmon from Kielder for a very long time now, maybe a few million should be stocked into the Tees too, over the next 10-20 years to boost fish stocks that have not been able to get upstream, I will admit some fish have been getting upstream, but not in the numbers that were caught pre barrage.

This is my opinion, as I have fished the Tees for 40 years from Yarm right up to Cow Green, I also fish a lot of stillwaters in our area and as far up to Tweedale.

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

I had a look down there the other day . i now know were the water runs out of the white water course , its benath the path at the base of the main ladder . i only noticed it as the screws were turning the opposite way forcing water down them into the bowl of the white water course which was pushing well out into the river . , obviously impossible for the fish to go up them .
    i also see on the counter in may all of 25 fish got up the ladder .

7. noj

rectifying the barrage, building an adequate fish pass will be expensive, but there doesn't seem to be any problem finding cash to revamp the canoe slalom. 5 million punds of what i am presuming was tax payers money suddenly appeared and was in my opinion mis-spent, as the screws are not working properly. presumably they will also be running other expenses as they are now trying to rectify problems and some body must be paying for the extra expenses. presumably the tax payer.

I believe the Slmon and trout associciation, have had there own engineers look at the problem, and in the most radical scenario of building what would be a bypass fish pass would cost 5 million, which is about the cost of canoe slalom revamp and they had no problems finding the funding for that.

It might be expensive to sort the fish pass out but it is illegal to impede the passage of migratory fish, and all we have seen from british waterways and the EA is prevarication. surely somebody should be in prison.

8. bucko

bucko New Member

As I've said before- I'm no fan of the barrage whatsoever but I went down there last week when the middle gate was down and fish could have easily got up there- and a couple did while I watched.
    We can go over it until we are blue in the face but the reality is that at least studies into the (alleged) decline of Tees salmon are taking place and I really do feel that the nationwide plan for hydro schemes in virtually every English river is potentially far more damaging.

9. noj

having just spent 3 of the last 4 days, fishing hard on the tees ( blackwell bridge, pierce bridge, gainford, barnard castle and eggleston) in what i would regard as ideal conditions, with out sight of a migratory fish, and my sum total for the season so far despite many days and hours has been a badly seal scarred sea trout, I dont think there is anything alleged about the decline of the tees mirgratory fish runs compared to prebarrage days.

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

You managed to get a seatrout out noj ?well doen mate . You defo deserved that . did you get any snaps mate ? were they big scars ?
    Havent been on the tees for a few weeks now , im planning on avin a look up through the next week . its getting well overgrown now on the club water isnt it . starting to look nice , had a few nice chubb and trout the last few trips up there . like you not much else yet..altho im sure it can only get better as the season draws on and a few more fish run up it .

11. noj

got it at low dinsdale on may 20, first time i have fished there - impressed, with it also a bit daunted, its just nice pool after nice pool after nice pool - spoilt for choice, and i didnt manage to fish all the way round the water
    yes big scars, on a not big seatrout a bit over 2 lb, i returned it. i think now i should have killed it, thought so at the time as well, but thought it might live. Didnt want to kill it because i wasnt going to eat it and would therefore let nature take its course, it would either survive or get eaten itself. After it recovered instead of moving off in to the river it just hunkered down under the bank where i had released it- suggesting it was in a bad way. should have killed it.
    didnt take any snaps - just felt sad - a fair proprotion of the few salmon i have manged to catch on the tees have been seal scarred.

unfortunately at the moment, the rivers dont seem to be in a good condtion on a weekend, before this episode of rain came - had my campaign for the weekend planned. but looks like wash out again. with so few good fshing days available and reports of good catches on other rivers of the region - I am starting to feel a bit frustrated with the tees, feel like I am wasting the few good days when the rivers are n good condition. Think i am probably going to give it a rest, untill a bit later in the year. will be trying some of the other rivers. or will take my trout rod instead.

have had some very nice trout attack my salmon fly at pierce bridge, i was out last friday evening when it was flooding, they were nailing it - funny they were all between 3/4 and bit under a pound, all in really good conditoin and stockily built, like peas in a pod. Was wondering if somebody had stocked it, but they were all absolutely fin perfect suggesting not

12. Dav

Dav Rockling

Im sure the trout will of been ok mate . i had a 5lber from the wear last week and when i went to put it back it didnt seem to want to go anywere . i rested the fish in a run just out from the main current and the fish just laid there . i went to me van to let a lad know ide just had one , had a fag and went back down to were i put the fish , it was still lying there . 2 lads turned up and asked if ide had anything , i walked upto the fish and went to lift it out of the water and the bloody thing went ballistic , soaked me and bolted off at around 100mph hahaha . the lads shit it .i thought it was rather funny . they seem to fight that hard it seems to take them a age to regain strength . in my opinion ....
    Yeah dinsdale does seem to be a nice stretch like , i fished it abit early on but havent bothered sinse .