1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tees barrage

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by peter catchpole, Sep 14, 2011.

1. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

i have been reading a piece about the tees barrage from january 2008 edition of trout & salman mag, in 1905 the tyne produced 18.807 salmon the tees 9.190 salmon in 2006 tyne produced 3.795 tees 135 ...... yes 135 ,the report blames mainly the barrage its excellent reading if you can get hold of the copy

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Now then Peter, how you doing?

I would take the figures with a pinch of salt Peter. Back in early part of the 20th century and beyond, the Tees was Englands finest salmon river, with fish being harvested at Barney for fertiliser. With regards to the 2006 figures, well i know different i'm afraid, but if they are official catch returns, then thats all the EA can go by. Unless, of course, their officials get themselves on the river bank, in the real world. As well as some anglers who comment on Tees salmon/catches who dont even cast a line on the river.

3. peter catchpole

peter catchpole Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

hi davo if you send me your addy i will post the magazine to you its excellent reading ,you lads up there know a lot more than i whats going on ,

4. Dav

Dav Rockling

I should really put more effort into sussing the tees below darlington me self but just never get around to it . I just think it would be hard work starting from scratch , its some river , were do you start .
    There must be a load of fish get up it tho , Be intresting to see the figures well the correct figures .
    I think there is as good rivers in our region than the tees , but the tees is our river we should know it and do well on it which personally i dont . I know eggleston area does very well its just the lower stretches that dont really get fished i dont think ? , the thing is when you have a walk along it around dinsdale area it looks awsome it screams fish , just to big for me at the minute , also to many seatrout to catch just now , maybe a alot of reccying to be done early next season . There is aslo some monsters swim it too .

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Dav. Lets hope now we are getting a few more fish access in the Tees Barrage the whole system will be able to improve.

Dont let the size of the Tees worry you. The Tyne is a far bigger river. You have got to learn where fish lie.

Migratory fish were not completly wiped out on the Tees.

The fact that we have a growing colony of seals at seal sands is proof that we have fish around Teesport and up to the Barrage.
    The Seals are not to blame ,its the lack of proper management with regards all migratory fish on the Tees. Heres to the Future :wink: :happy:

6. Davo

Davo Rockling

Mmm, not sure what you mean there lads, with "fish were not totally wiped out" and "the Tees back to where it should be". Not being picky, but try telling that to anglers who fished the tees 60 odd years ago, that bemoan the lack of salmon these days, compared toall those odd years ago during the days of a so called dead river.

7. Davo

Davo Rockling

I get your point but i'm not kidding myself one bit. There were fish washed up on the banks of the river at times, but always time of low or ordinary water levels. But during the time of spates, there was just as many, and going what past anglers and, of anglers who fish now argue, there was more fish running the river donkeys ago before the barrage was built. The reason why is quite simple-The barrage. What folk dont realise, is that, say from the 1930's-1993 as an example, no one saw fish running the river, until the barrage was constructed, they just bombed on through in times of large spates. The anglers up in Gainford etc, have always known this, but not the average person round this neck of the woods. I remember being sat in my local about 1979, when one lad who came in to inform me of the unbelievable amount of fish he had being watching running past Eston Jetty in the top layers of water during a spate.With a wry smile, he said it happens all the time, and thats when i realised, people believe what they want to believe. Especially, the Evening Gazette, joe public and later on and at present, the EA.

8. Davo

Davo Rockling

9. bucko

bucko New Member

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

That guys views are spot on .
    I do think it would be a nightmare to locate fish from here to darlo in low water It would take probably many seasons of blanks, A good way would be to pick the coarse lads brains on salmon sightings and invetsigate the area to look for good looking holding pools .Without this info youd struggle to have any kind of success , i know lads whove done it and the only place they have any luck or have had any luck would be below broken scar , then again i think it would only be the odd ones holding up ?
    I reckon the best way to catch them or possibly see them would be to walk around dinsdale area maybe somewere lower down and set your stall out and just fish it day after day in good conditions and hope maybe find a good pool tail , there looks some nice ones , but again the fish pass and gates are that shyte you will just be getting the odd ones and 2s coming through instead of big schools like you would do on any other river . ?
    Its hard enough trying to catch salmon and seatrout never mind fishing totally blind on such a river ?
    One day i will put alot of time into the tees and maybe it might turn out well . until then i personally just do not know ?

11. bucko

bucko New Member

I would just trust your instinct mate- I reckon you have had a better year than any other game angler that posts in this section.
    Actually , I KNOW you have!
    You know what to look for- now go out and get a 25lb Tees salmon to show us all how its done.

12. Davo

Davo Rockling

I know it wasnt personal Skunkhead-no worries. What i'm attempting to get across, is the general mythology regarding Tees salmon runs over possibly the last hundred years and beyond. How many salmon, you, i and any tom, dick and harry have seen over the years, i irrelevant to the intensity of Tees runs of fish over the decades. The barrage has no influence with the tide moving upriver and the runs of migratory fish that accompany it. The barrage just stops them in their tracks, unless there is a very large spate and and they just carry on through regardless of the barrage. This is what has happened year in, year out for decades. Whether, there are more runs of fish now than say back in the 50's is open and will always be open to debate, but evidence, not belief suggest there are possibly less fish now running the river than ever before. Unless of course, you believe the figures issued by the EA. Now, in defence of the EA, they only get their numbers by catch returns, but the disrespect they show to Tees anglers and the general public is nothing more than disgusting. Let the EA come up with a catch return of say 200 fish or so in 2004 and try to take honours for increasing catch returns by nigh on 200% since records began, and the numpties who believe them. Me, i'll carry believing what i know, now, in the past, and the old hands who know more than the EA will ever know, or should i say what they wont disclose. Also, my late father, who during the 1940's used to cycle to Piercebridge area with his mates, and who used to drop rocks into the pools filled with salmon to try and kill one for tea. Why rocks? Quite, simply. because as he said "the b@ggers wouldnt take the bait".

Just to debate the historical runs of fish on the Tees, is for me, evidence that the situation we have at present, is and should always be under scrutiny, by comparing runs of fish from say 1940's, and that says a lot about how good the Tees is and always been for migratory fish. Although some stick in the muds wont believe, or accept it. My own personal view of todays runs of fish and say over the last 15 years is that the runs are excellent in general, but can vary from year to year. Long may it continue, but compared to evidence of runs of fish over the last century, the river certainly still has one ongoing problem.

Dav, if you want to find a salmon lie on the Tees, just look for a barble lie and vice versa, but once you get high up the river, dont just stick to that tip as the river changes, and you will be surprised how shallow the water can be for a salmon lie.

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I thought i was being realistic in 2002 when i started campaigning.In 2002 i was made aware by seeing the big seal eating a salmon in front of me if i hadnt gone their that day i probably wouldnt have known that millions of salmon were being slaughtered and i realised the Tees Barrage was impassable to migratory fish.
    In 2002 i didnt know how to use a computor.
    In 2002 i had no acess to a computor.
    I used the evening gazette,the FF&FT .wrote personally to the E/A and MPs, Britishwaterways.
    Its only recently i was given this computor and found about the A.C.A Tees Barrage campaign. They are now the Angling Trust and i have supported them by joining.

14. bucko

bucko New Member

I think its rather indicative of how things are that those who actually fish the Tees are less phased by the barrage than those who don't.

Whats in the past should remain there- the improvements have been made so all we can do is hope they work.
    After all, there's no point 'campaigning' for modifications that have already been made.

15. Davo

Davo Rockling

Good assessment there Ian. Some anglers that fish the Tees who dont bother visiting but read about the barrage just get on with it and catch fish anglers on other rivers would dream of. I've spoken to fellow anglers up Teesdale for years, and they just shrug their shoulders when i mention the barrage, and a few ask me whats the latest news-but thats about it. I've spoken to members of BAAC who have threatened to leave the club if they dont renew the Tees leash, because they have no intentions of having to fish the Wear, or anywhere else for that matter. Most are ex Wear men, and look at the Wear as far inferior to the Tees as a salmon river in catches and also for therapeutic reasons. It may, however, be simply because they put their fishing hours in on the Tees and not the Wear? Nevertheless, they certainly dont have a think pattern like anglers who visit the barrage regularly.

16. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I was at the Annual meeting at BAAC and there was meant to be a discution on the Tees Barrage and should the lease be renewed. I spoke to the chaiman and showed him what i had been doing for 10 years and my letters and press cuttings.
    I thought it would be wrong to drop outin 2011-12 just as we were going to get this work completed.
    As i have said, lets hope we are being listened to,lets see what the electronic fish counters tell us.
    We still have the scientists doing an extra year on the Tees Studies .
    We have the scientists evidence that the Tees Barrage is impassable.
    Lets get their final findings and lets hope that the E/A and Britishwaterways rethink the stocking polocies on the Tees as a reward to paying anglers over the years since the gates were shut.

17. bucko

bucko New Member

Peter- read what other people are saying before speaking on their behalf.
    I don't want to be rude- but you need to stop ranting your own opinions and take on board the opinions of others.

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Peter, Tees anglers are concerned that BAAC might relinquish the Eggleston beat quite simply because of rising rents there-not because of the barrage. This is a testament of salmon runs on the Tees. Salmon runs on the river at Eggleston vary from good to excellent, from my experience and always have (according to locals who have fished it for donkeys), which puts pressure on BAAC regarding leash costs and they are under pressure to put their eggs in one basket and just put their efforts into the Wear. They could do this to the Tees, but they own some of the Wear and have a lot more of the Wear and just leash the small Tees beat. Take the barrage away tomorrow and the Tees beat will be gone forever, as some higher bidder would have it. Do yourself a favour, fish the Tees now while you can, catch salmon and seatrout while you can, because if runs increase, rents will increase like they always have, to the point, that you may not get the chance to fish it ever again.

19. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I probably should stop ranting Bucko.
    I didnt think i was ranting when i campaigned about the fairness of the Blue badge system .Blue badge holders can now get their concessionary licence
    I was never told by the Fisheries Minister that i was ranting when i wrote to him saying that in my opinion it was not possible to introduce a Sea Fishing licence to English fishing.
    Even when i wrote to the Welsh minister about the River Severn proposed Barrage and the affect on the envoironment to Welsh sea-trout they listened to my rantings and replied to my letters.
    Maybe it is time i went back to pen and paper and saved myself the internet rent.
    Maybe if more Tees Game anglers did rant on about the Tees i wouldnt have to watch for Ten Years the Slaughter of thousands of endangered migratory fish on my doorstep.

20. Davo

Davo Rockling

A question for any salmon angler who has fished for salmon extensivly in the past.

What salmon returns warrant a river to be classed as a good to very good salmon river? Bearing in mind the beat is approx three quaters of a mile fished, with an average selection of pool and glides of a typical spate river, and with an average of 12 anglers fishing it over a season. The parameters are an educated estimate.