1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tees barrage coming on well

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by harrythecod, Feb 8, 2011.

1. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Them people caught fishing illigally must be easier to catch than the fish that they are stealing from licence payers. Surely the fines cant be a deterant ?.
    You see these people out in the open whenever they hear that fish are trapped at the Teesbarrage.
    Their is obviously a market to sell these fish and you can see these people are not dressed to hide from the fish with their hi-vise gear clearly visable to the fish and the watching public. :crazy: :suspious: :sad: :angry:

2. bucko

bucko New Member

Well- the cage has gone and an electric counter is in place.

Brighter days ahead?

I sincerely hope so.

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I havnt been near the cage to see it removed. That thing should have gone years ago.
    I wouldnt keep me little puppy in a gage thatsmall never mind 40 plus wild

spawning fish.
    I have been on the South side lately and a fe llow said that the Screws that pump the water round are pumping it the wrong way.
    Maybe a daft rumour but today water is still being pumped out by temporary pumps so time is running out again.
    Canoeists must be sick if its ever going to be a practise course for the 2012 0lympics.
    I cant believe ive been moaning for ten years and watching which must be hundreds of massive salmon and sea-trout slaughtered without anybody in power takeing notice.
    Suppoe to them its only a job and if they are not fishermen it means even less.

4. bucko

bucko New Member

127 fish went through between its installation and July 19th.

I thought you'd be over the moon Peter- an accurate fish counter is in there so we can find out just how many fish REALLY run the Tees at last.

5. bucko

bucko New Member

Yes- the cage has gone for good and the counter is on the pass.
    When I was talking to the barrage manager in early June he said the gates were getting lowered on high tides so I really do think its now time to look to the future and concentrate on problems that that have been identified and scientifically proven such as downstream migration, smolt predation and damage to the redds.
    As far as seal predation goes- it seems the fish have a better chance than ever of escaping them.

6. Dav

Dav Rockling

I might just have a run up broken scar and have a look see if i can see any salmon showing in them pools ....

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Its ridiculous that we never had a modern fish counter on the Tees.
    Since i started my little campaign in 2002 its been laughable to see what has been going on at the Barrage.
    Since i have had the internet i pushed it,maybe too much but i dont care as long as somebody listens that are in power.
    We have got more holes in the Wall which cant be a bad thing the gates are open.
    Seems as thought the snatching has slowed down which cant be bad when you here of one person snatching 100 fish when the catch returns were 120 or something.
    Them figures were the only ones reported by honest anglers or anglers that bothered filling their catch returns..

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

do you ever see any behind the pub at gainford, i used to go trouting there when i was a youngster ,(clandestine) :whistle:

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

They must be up there Harry because fish are getting seen up at Teesdale.
    Now its Autumn i wish that they had that white water course open.
    I was down the Barrage last night at high water and their wasnt a seal in sight noboby was fishing with rod and line.
    I Did see three Guilimots have returned and the swallows were still feeding on the flies.
    Never saw a fish though.

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Teesbarrage International White Water Course is due to open its doors to the public.
    Saturday 3rd September 2011 at 9-00pm.

Lets hope a few more doors are open for the Tees migratory fish to escape the seal slaughter .
    Is this what they call a New Era on the Tees?.

I for one wish the new course to be a success for Teesside. :happy: :happy:pB

11. Davo

Davo Rockling

That is, if you are an advocator of the cheap and unofficial/made up name "Teesside". I'm not.

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Now thats another debate alltogether :happy:. I dont care what they call it lets just hope we can watch migratory fish getting past that barrage and swimming up the Leven ,the Skerne and up to Teesdale and the little becks where some were born.

The White Water Slalom Course that runs beside the River Tees is finally opening today.
    Hooray :happy: :happy: :happy:

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

So whats the score with this then peter ? do the fish have to go up the archemedies screws ? Im not convinced me self like i thought the new course was fed from the river upstream of the barrage ? if that is the case why have the screws to re circulate the water ? Im not sure if i understand its setup just yet until i have a good look at it .... They should of just made a dedicated fish pass, One better then than thing thats there now ....

14. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I have not been able to have a close look Dav for the fencing.
    Also i believe the whole thing is a world first so again we are the guinea pigs as far as what goes on.
    Its all based on water sports. Its never been thought out properly from its first design.
    Whoever thought about stopping the tide at Middlesbrough knew nothing about the Envoironment and the total disaster it has had on the Tees and its migratory fish.
    Yes we have an 11 mile freshwater lake up to Yarm. Yes we have a great sea pool that attracts seals cormerants,terns, ect to slaughter our endangered fish further into extinction without anybody seeming to care for what once was a first class salmon river. Pollution never killed all the Tees fish but stopping the Tide from entering a once tidal river certainly hasnt helped nature at all.
    We used to catch minnows in the beck by damming the flow creating a lake . We opened the gates though when we caught all our minnows . The Barrage has been shut since 1993 killing millions of migrateing fish.Lets hope things improve for the future of Teeside.

15. Dav

Dav Rockling

I was always under the impression the tees became cleaner because of regulations stopping big industries from pollouting it ?

16. Davo

Davo Rockling

Spot on Dav. It was the Thatcher Government who brought in the Clean Air Policy and Clean Water Poilicy that was the calalist that cleaned and changed the Tees forever, regarding water quality. The Barrage has had nothing to do with it, apart from keeping freshwater above it.

17. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I.C.I and everybody else in business pollutted the rivers. The Barrage has nothing to do with the clear water in the Tees and our coast. Just remember Erly Noock Chemical Factory most of the workmen lost their noses working in there then there was the Skin Factory at Yarm.
    The Tees Barrage was built for watersports and tourism.
    Look back over its building and you will read that the E/A and lots of other people were not asked certain questions ,and if they were it would probably not even got the go ahead.
    Remember that was all waste land and developers had big ideas so anything was getting passed.
    Salmon fishing was definatly well down the list when plans were being made but we are hopefully getting listened to and with the Angling Trust on board we can see a futurs for Tees gAme fishing again.

18. Dav

Dav Rockling

Well for me its being misssold as one of the main reasons the tees runs clean, . i have read loadsa things that say that , im also sure on one of the plaque things at the side of the river on the mbro side down from the barrage says somthing similar . altho i know that wasnt the reason it does run clean,

19. bucko

bucko New Member

I don't see any mention of Tees on the agenda for the Angling Trust North East Freshwater Forum's 2nd meeting on the 12th September:

AGENDA

Welcome & Introductions

Vote on the appointment of the nominated Chair Ann Adlington, the nominated Secretary John Hepworth and the nominated Treasurer

Brendan Heslop and the nominated officer for Anglers with Disabilities Peter Mantle.

Damage to livestock by herons

Damage to livestock by Cormorants and reports of major inland roosts by Tyne and the Wear

Poaching and even use of nets in thefts of fish

River matches: length of walk to pegs, safety of pegs, and number of pegs

Tyne Hydropower scheme

Consultation to regulate net and trap fishing for elver and adult eel, smelt, lamprey, crayfish and Chinese mitten crab

Questions for Angling Trust/Update from Management

Any Other Business (please inform Chair in advance)

20. lochbois

lochbois Guest

What i mean is that the A.C.A was campaigning .
    Now it is the Angling Trust and they are still on the Teesbarrage case.
    I only found out myself about the A.C.A when i was given this computor and me and a friend who new what the internet was helped me try and get more signitures.
    Other trusts have been involved but i know very little about them so cant name them.

Has anybody heard of or seen any fish yet.