1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tees barrage coming on well

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by harrythecod, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Dav

Dav Rockling

Well i had another walk aroundnthere tonight pete and i still cant work out how the fish are suposed to get up the course like , i was there half hour and i seen 5 seals 2 of which were eating big fish , very disturbing and depressing ..
    lLike you pete i realy do hope something sgets sorted as the tees has alot of potential to be up there if not better than the rest in the country .. I still think the fish are gona get hammered by the seals even when the course is sorted , For one they should remove the god forsaken cage at the top of the ladder ands every high water they should lower one or 2 of the gates to allow water to flow over them even if its just a trickle , just to give the fish a bigger target to aim dfor instead of that narrow ladder and white water course you mean ...

2. Davo

Davo Rockling

Problem is Dav, the seals have learnt to sit in front of the gates, deterring a lot of fish from attempting to take the gate option.

3. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I think the seal lives and breeds their. I have watched it since 2002 and its like a pet dog . I dont have a problem with tha seals, its not the seals fault.
    I ve just tryed to get the people in power to save all these endangered fish from a pointless slaughter.
    Can you imagine what the Severn Barrage would have done for the Welsh Sea Trout.
    If their is five seals down at the Barrage the fish must be wanting to run.
    In the past i have seen a lot of summer fish being slaughtered below the Barrage and they were in the 5-10 pound range.
    The sooner the site is completed the better we have missed another spring run already.
    The E/A have also come to an agreement with the owners to leave one gate open so that fish can run through the gate or try and leap it at a lower height.
    The eels have a passage it can be seen running along the main fish passage.
    I have seen gulls and terns in their hundreds feeding on leave sized flat fish.
    One day there was lots of whiting been eaten by the gulls below the gates.
    I

4. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Bank holiday monday and i have just been seal watching at the Tees Barrage.
    The big seal was busy in the water bellow the gates where am glad to see that Tees freshwater is running through one of the gates in the hope that any migratory fish will get the urge to run upstream.
    The pathetic cage is still trapping fish and tree branches at the top of the ladder why they cant put an electronic fish counter there is beyond me.
    The site itself looks as though it is ready to be handed over because a lot of site cabins and plant machinary has been removed. :happy:pB

5. LEONFR

LEONFR New Member

Just returned from the barrage saw 3 seals, 1 off them quite small but was in the lock and caught quite a good 5 to 6 lb salmon in there.

6. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I was watching the smaller seal in the lock pool.
    The sea was eating a fish while i was there around high tide it was also raining.
    I think if i had been clearing the site while working there i would have made sure that cage got accidently damaged and thrown in the skip.
    I f i kept a dog in a cage like that i would be fined for animal cruelty by the RSPCA but they arnt intrested they are too busy makeing TV shows on the BBC rather than save wild endangered fishes.They might listen in another ten years time .Its like banging your head on a wall.

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Tonight i visited the Teesbarrage White Water Course.
    The builders have not handed the site over to Britishwaterways so i had to look at the progress from behind the fence.
    Where the fresh Tees Water comes out of the slalom course Migratory fish could be seen swiming around while being chased by the seals.
    Now we have a gate open 24 hours i hope the fish can get above the Barrage with the taste of freshwater urgeing them upstream into the tributeries and headwaters. :happy:pB

8. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

on the last few times i have visited the barrage i have not seen the seals , :surprise:
    i was hoping to get a couple of photo,s of them with a fish,

what time would you say is best Pete,

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Their was a lad down their last night harry.
    He is a regular photographer .I was there about 7-9 pm .He was takeing photoes of the fish milling around and the seal was at our feet.
    That was in the freshwater outlet on the south side towards the Barrage.
    He had a big lens and camera too high tech for me .
    He was haveing trouble with his camera steaming up because it was drizzling.
    He said Bass were caught on tuesday around the barrage.
    We didnt see a seal eating but he was certainly chaseing them which was intresting.
    Somebody said they are more intrested in the mackeral down at the Gare.

10. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Doesnt look good when they have two massive water pumps pumping water OUT of the white water course.
    Wish somebody would pull that pathetic cage out of the fish passage we know it serves no purpose. We know all our fish are slaughtered below the Barrage. :sad:pB

11. bucko

bucko New Member

The cage was lifted up when I was last down and the barrage manager said it would be for the forseeable future.
    I reckon if you spoke to some people who fished Tees during the last lift you might be surprised by the amount of fish that got upstream.

12. lochbois

lochbois Guest

There is no need for the cage it needs an electric fish counter on it.

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Tonight i took my new pup down the Tees Barrage to show her the seals. We only saw the one seal.
    The grass has been cut and i was told that kyaks were practiceing on the White water course around dinner time.
    It was low water and i didnt see anyone fishing for migratory fish.
    I read that good bags of Eels are being caught at Yarm.
    The report said the Barrage was blamed in the past for poor eel catches.
    I have seen lots of elver useing the Passage that runs along the fish passage near the cage. Its a square pipe running along the wall.

14. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Last nights Evening Gazette had a story from CLLR KEN DIXON Cabinet Member for Arts and Culture, Stockton Council.
    Worth the Waiting is the title of his article. Firstly, I am pleased to confirm that the white water course will definatly be open for the Olympics in 2012.as a training venue,indeed we are now looking for it to be open to the public in Early September 2011he wrote.
    Were sorry that it has taken longer than expected but now that when it opens it will be a wonderful facility for canoeists and spectaitors and improve the landscape for the enjoyment of runners/joggers like Vic Patterson.
    Vic Patterson is the jogger who asked when are we going to see the International White Water Course open.
    No mention of the milions of fish slaughtered by the impassable barrage.
    No mention of the millions of anglers in England who pay to fish in Britishwaterways rivers.

15. bucko

bucko New Member

No offence Peter but that part of the river is always going to be shared by other users (canoeists etc) and the river is a much cleaner and healthier place for it as it attracts investment and improvement.
    As others have said- theres more salmon down there than when it was virtually a stinking, open sewer.
    More salmon = more getting upstream= more on the redds= improvement.
    Rome wasn't built in a day and remember, you don't (and won't) hear of every fish caught on there.

16. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We now have a flood gate open 24 -7 so thats a result. Cant wait for all the fences to come down in september to get closer to the fish.Cant wait for the Tees to have an electronic fish counter recording millions of fish going in and out of the Tees.
    I love to watch the seals and i cant see them disappearing , I am happy to see more holes in the wall so fish have more escape routes.. In 2002 i only saw a cage full of trapped fish above a narrow fish ladder and at least 7 seals feeding on salmon and sea-trout when i took my walk down to Newport Bridge.
    Lets hope more :happy days are here and the Tees and its tributeries are flowing with fish and clear water. :cool:

17. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I did a bit of Seal Watching again this evening.
    Dont know if the seal was attracted to my little puppy, but i saw a seal down at the old turning point downstream of the barrage.
    Then the seal sat watching me and Jenny where the Tees comes out of the white water course.
    When we went to the boat locks the seal was in there and with the tide on High there was a seal and two cormerants in the freshwater above the Four gates.
    Fish must be getting through to the Main Tees in larger numbers i hope now the fish can taste the freshwater 24-7. :happy: :happy:pB

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Big shy seal? More than likely to be too full of salmon to stay above water :wink:

19. Dav

Dav Rockling

Bloody hell offit ,

20. bucko

bucko New Member

There must have been some hellish water coming down there today!