1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tees barrage coming on well

Discussion in 'North East Fresh Water Fishing' started by harrythecod, Feb 8, 2011.

1. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Went to the barrage on sunday to take some photographs,
    it seems to be progressing nicely,

four BIG archemedies screw now in place , and most of the major constrution seems to be complete,

does anyone know when it will be up and runing.

2. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

A few photo,s here
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bucko

bucko New Member

Looking by the pics Harry its got to be up and running by the Summer I would say.
    I just hope it improves the passage for the migratory fish in the long run.

Time will tell.

4. Davo

Davo Rockling

Smashing photo's them Harry.

5. lochbois

lochbois Guest

Iwas down the Tees Barrage this morning Harry.
    It looks as though their will be a bit of depth to that new slalom course.
    If half the fish that get slaughtered and poached find their way through these two new fish passages we will be getting somewhere.
    Migratory fish running through that new course would be a hell of a sight for the tourists and the people of Teeside with Saltholme on the Estuary.
    Lets hope for the future of Teesside we are onto a winner second time around.
    Nice photos Harry you should put some on Pictures Stockton which is run from Stockton L ibray.
    I am trying to keep the Libray buzy by putting pictures of the place my father worked which was the Farm Stores Butchers in Dovecote Street.
    Billingham Beck gets a mention on the Picture Stockton site.
    Its where i caught my first Brown Trout. :wink: :happy:pB

:wink:

6. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Whe are are the two new fish passes actualy going to be ,
    a lot of the construction is fenced off as you know ,

i had to stand on a small wall to see over the fence,
    couldnt see the fish ladders at all, :confused: :confused:

7. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I dont know anything about the fish passages Harry ,but it looks like their is a ladder down the centre of the screws.
    How fast the screws turn will be intresting .
    I saw a similar kind of screw in a magazine and they dont kill fish.
    They are more like a slow lift i think.
    I had heard that Spring was going to be opening time.
    Lets hope that March/April when we usually get snow and some freshwater from the tributeries sees more natural conditions with masses of fish trying to run upstream.
    It all looks deeper than i thought which should make intresting viewing on a summers evening.
    Now i am dreaming :wink: :happy:pB

8. andyman

andyman Doh! Come back, stupid fish

It'll also be a dream come true for me to see fish migrating up river and the seals trying to follow them. It can only improve both the freshwater and saltwater fishing as well.

9. lochbois

lochbois Guest

They used to swim up to Yarm on the tide until they stoped the tide at the Tees Barrage.
    Not a lot of thought goes into these developments.
    We used to put a log across the beck to trap minnows or just make the water deeper for paddling in.
    Do you think these people who decide to Dam major rivers what damage they are doing to nature above the Dam.
    I have certainly learned a lot since getting involved with our Tees Barrage.
    I t would be intresting to be able to fast foreward 100 years and see if its still stopping the tide .

10. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Never checked it myself , but what will the average rise and fall of the height of water at the barrage :suspious: just looking and guessing i would think about 15' or so.

11. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I have never seen a salmon or sea-trout leap over the gates at the barrage.
    When i have seen them running they have all been on the high water mark and leave a V mark in the water, or a flash of the tail.
    I hope this new water course will create a new course that runs 24 hours so that fish can travel all day.
    I wonder if the canoes will collide with any of these salmon shoals.
    Certainly will be a learning curve.
    Its a pity they cant get the local schools involved by letting the kids introduce some new stocked fish into the river this year and then see if they return to their home river..
    But they never listen to the man in the street.

12. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

Aye, its a shame Peter, i suppose it was all good intentions when it was thought of ,
    cleaning up the river ,more social activities, better access for the public,

but like a lot of good idea,s not thought out properly,
    who knows, what may happen when this rebuilding is finished,

lets hope it all comes together for the better :yes:

13. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We must be getting deeper water in the Tees Barrage White Water Course because their was an article in my local Evening Gazette saying that the Emergancy serves will be useing the course as they did in the past.
    Instead of useing a car they are talking about useing buses.

14. lochbois

lochbois Guest

We still have the big fish there i have been watching them being eaten since 2002.
    I was there last week on high tide the gates were shut the seal was looking around for its supper.
    Who would have thought the Globe would have reopened in Stockton and Steel return to Redcar lets hope we get the treble up and see a few more fish being allowed a free passage.
    That preasent fish pass was full of driftwood and the cage looks as though that has been neglected.
    I wish they would do away with that stupid little cage now the scientists know it doesnt work.

15. harrythecod

harrythecod Rockling

When is the best time to watch for the salmon coming through the pass,

16. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I was happy to see that the water is filling up in the Tees Barrage White Water Course at last. Now we need some April Showers to get some spates into the Tees and its Tributeries to get the fish running. It looks well landscaped and there was plenty of rabbits and ducks to see on the new site. :happy: :happy:pB

17. Dav

Dav Rockling

A few years ago i was walking around the barrage area and noticed a couple of fish jumping up on the inside of the cage i watched them for a while and it suddenly dawned on me why hadnt the warden been over to check the fish and let them through ...i went to the office and told him and he lifted the cage , in it was if i remeber rightly 3 or 4 fish one was a big salmon possibly around the 20lb mark . All the fish were absoloutly battered off the cage , all the heads and noses were well battered scared and white ,
    I asked him why he hadnt noticed the fish in the cage and he said to me . " the counter that lets him know if any fish are in it must be broken lol.... what a frigging joke that it ......
    Had a look at broken scar the other day when i was passing and thought it looked lovely water . do you hear of many seatrout being caught from this area ?

18. Davo

Davo Rockling

Aye, Dav. You should also see how they treat the fish when they take them out of the cage. I've seen them kick them back into the fish pass as if they where vermin.

Never fished Broken Scar for seatrout myself, but its a decent spot for springers i've been told.

19. lochbois

lochbois Guest

I was parked on the north shore and was there on low tide so the main Tees wasnt showing much but hopefully we will be getting water flowing through this 5million pound investment and see fish running into the headwateres again.

20. Dav

Dav Rockling

As well know In general salmon prefare water to run up rivers , due to the depth of the tees, once the course at the barrage is sorted will the salmon that are present below the barrage in low water still run the bararge and up the tees as far as the depth lets them ?
    If they did would they be showing in the pools upriver like they do below the barrage in low water or would they just sit at the bottom waiting for water.
    Cheers lads