1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TEC TALK - PRINCETON TEC HEADLIGHTS

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Rubby Dubby, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Rubby Dubby

Rubby Dubby Blenny

I'm thinkin of gettin one of these new fangled headlights -the famed Princeton Tec Apex
    been lookin on internet and quite fancied one from the states :), has anyone had one shipped over? was it much hassle, and how did you go on whith duty etc?

2. cps

cps Rockling

Re: tec talk

somthing else to fil my case ith in may when the yorkshire branch of gamefish lovers go to giv the tarpooons a hiding next spring

3. smokey

smokey Rockling

I've been well advised to go for the newer PRO model.Comes with far superior batteries and light per charge ratio ;)

4. scoot

scoot New Member

if were talking tek .has anyone seen one of those casting devices yet ?

5. barry

barry Blenny

Batterys, try 7dayshop.com

6. welder147

welder147 New Member

hi all i got tec pro from states cost me 48 squid in total tell them to put gift on package to avoid paying tax got my battery charger and 4 batterys from hong kong for a 10 er light took a week battery's must of been on slow boat lol

7. smokey

smokey Rockling

Cr123 rechargable batterys are £2.49 each and a charger is £6 ;) just ordered 4 batterys and charger ;D

8. gwyn

gwyn Blenny

I just got one from the states for £34 then got stung for vat and a post office handling charge of £8 which I thought was expensive mine was marked as a gift also marked it in the 'other' box said they could not distinguish which was right so they charged me.

Got it from Light & Hostler

9. Optomist

Optomist New Member

I have also been stung for VAT and parcelfarces' handling fee when i bought a Calcutta and Penn 545 from states, second hand off ebay. Still slightly cheaper than over here but only just.
    Would be interested to know how anyone gets on with challenging Customs and Excise, they would only loose the claim anyway!!!
    On the subject of head torches i recommend a very good cheap torch sold by Go outdoors who sell a LED Cybalite extreme headtorch for £7 if you have one of their discount cards. web site:
    GOoutdoors.co.uk
    It has 3 power settings and I find it fine for working on the farm at night, will pick out fox/rabbit at 100 yards on max power and you can use ordinary rechargeable AA batteries. Also v.comfy good beam pattern and lasts several hours on max power much longer on the lower power. the only slight issue I have is when batts are running low it just switches off although you still can switch it to the lower power settings so you are not left without a lot of reserve on the lower settings but unless you have the presence of mind to flick the button it could be a little compromising at the wrong moment hanging off a cliff etc.
    I have no connection with this shop or company but it does seem to be a good cheap light even as a backup
    Cheers optimist

10. Rubby Dubby

Rubby Dubby Blenny

the cr123 batteries on the 7dayshop.com site are only 650mh but they are li-on ,does the li-on make up for the fact their only 650mh,or would you still need a2700mh in li-on to get plenty of fishing time? thanks for all your help ,i've almost made me mind up ;D

11. seajay

seajay New Member

netto has 4aa 2700mah batterys plus the charger for 4.99 on sale monday saw it in the advert with the weekly paper ( i dont shop there you understand )honest
    i am going to camp there in the sunday night so i can get in first in the morning i bet the only have a couple of sets

wish i hadnt told you lot now only joking lol

my apex pro took 1 week £38.00 quid from u.s dropped it in first 20 mins into the session waited for low water but the sea ate it
    now waiting for a new apex from the states £39.00 lucky for me this one takes the aa batterys in netto

hope this save you a few quid and leave me some i,m a late sleeper .

12. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I bought some rechargeable batteries from Lidle. They were rated 2500 MA and they were sheite. False economy, save yourself some cash in the long run and go for the main brands of Uniross, Energizer, or Duracell.

13. smokey

smokey Rockling

Headlight arrived, no customs fees,the nice chap who sent it marked it at $20 value.Looks the biz but also looks like it will take some getting used to after using a tiga for so long ;)

14. wec

wec Nunc est biben dum

where did you get it from smokester

15. crabadabado

crabadabado Blenny

Got mine from here Bill, Cost $80 = £38. Delivered in 6 days.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140180159867&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

Regards Col.

16. Rubby Dubby

Rubby Dubby Blenny

:) sounds like a decent chap, where did you get it from Smokey?

17. Rubby Dubby

Rubby Dubby Blenny

:) :) :) Thanks for all the help lads, my heads still spinnin with info, gonna have to decide soon if I'm gunna get it in the sleigh!! ;D

18. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Could anyone who bought one of these spare a few minutes to write your thoughts down at the link below

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/fishing-tackle-reviews/princeton-tec-apex/

:happy: