1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Take the plugs out and watch the money go down the drain

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by Ramsrod, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

These plugs are costing me a fortune, fair enough most of it is down to my own incompetence (ask baza or second thoughts don,t) I decided to use a weighted jelly worm for trolling last night, which never got snagged once, but did,nt catch any fish either. Sure enough out comes a Rapala j11. As the sun set I got 3 good, what I assume were Pollock. All 3 went ballistic when I got them near the yak. All 3 dived and were imovable, the 3rd one snagged my j11 and despite having 20lb braid on I lost it :'( then I lost it too :mad: The beauty about plugs though is you know within reason how deep they are which can,t be said about other lures. The only thing I can think of before becoming bankrupt is 1. persivere with jelly,s or something similar 2. buy cheap lures 3. buy good lures but just put a single hook on the back 4. use Marts lures and come up with an outrageous story of how I lost them all ;D any ideas ???

2. macky

macky New Member

Just trot a float down for the pollock Ray

its a deadly method in the area for the big pollock

all u need is a few dozen live launce or small spratts or joey mackrel

3. baza

baza New Member

ray have you got yourself some fireline? where did the line part with the fish? what knott are you using to connect your lure? you could as you say change your hooks. a lot of my hooks are owners, these are a finer wire than the hooks your lure comes with and do have a bit of give in them, they are still trebles though. you could remove one of the hooks on the treble, this makes unhooking spikey fellas easier too. i think the rate your going though ray your much better of getting yourself round marts and keep dipping into his supply, cos itll be costing you a fortune. i dont think ive had a bass on a jelly even though some are extremely lifelike and i have tried them. i know i did snag alot with them. like macky says launce preferably live or thin 8inch strips of mackarel on a float fished over the kelp is the best method for big pollock, that i know of.

4. mww

mww Rockling

...I'd just like some advice on the strongest padlocks, that's all!!! ;D ;D

One thing I noticed on a trip with cps last year, was that floatfished mackerel strip tended to pick out the smaller pollack - bigger ones all came to launce.

Ramrod, next time you're passing I'll give you something that will really make your jellyworms wriggle!! :eek:

Mart

5. robq

robq Rockling

were you getting them trolling and losing them to the weed before you could get the rod out of the rest or were you casting and retrieving to them and losing them on hookup ?? if it was the latter then they must be serious pollack :eek: :eek:

If it were me I would beef up the tackle from spinning gear to 20lb class and see what happens from there.

Have you tried the fladden conrad plug Ray ? its a very good J13 copy and usually retail for around £4 max, It might be a bit cheaper than losing rapalas and save you getting a 2nd mortgage in pursuit of your double figure pollack !!

Rob

6. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Cheers lads, some really good advice there.

Chris, would it work with a bubble float with a sandeel underneath and troll slowly over the kelp? I,ve tried float fishing but you usually start catching the
    float up when on the yak.

Baza, thanks for the master class by the way and I,m practicing ;D. Got the Fireline and had it on last night. It snapped right next to the plug, with a lot of pressure on it must be said. I was discussing it with Iain after and I suggested same as you regarding the softer hooks as they are snagging the other trebbles up when they are diving for cover.

Rob, I was trolling and they were serious pollock. To be honest I thought I had them beat and everyone dived as soon as they got near the yak and snagged me up. After the first one I was determined not to let the 2nd one do the same but there,s no way I could stop them.

Mart, thanks for your advice as always and hurry up and answer your door I,ve been standing here 5 min,s ;D

7. Dav

Dav Rockling

Only advise i can say is , if your loosing lures ure fishing in the right places , as the saying goes .....you coulg even rig ure self a heavier duty spinning copmbo with heavier braid ray for fishing known snaggy ground , and one of the easiest methods of controlling ure depth with spinners n jellys is to use the countdown method ray ....as for weaker hooks ray if ure getting pollock that u cant stop on 20lb class spinning line there will smask ure hooks big style.....ive seen bass snap and bend standard trewbbles that come with alot of plugs , if anyhthing u wana be beefing ure hooks up and possibly ure tackle up,,,,to prevent leaving plugs stuck in fishes mouths , for me to have ,,,,, ;D

8. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

the best advise you need ray is to take up free diving, when your snagged just take a big gulp of air and trott on down your line and free your plug by hand ;D ;D

9. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

It has been known ;D

You won,t catch these Dav, they,re south of Scarborough ;D, even further south than Filey which is the end of the world for you ::)

10. Dav

Dav Rockling

,,,errrrr.mmm got me ;D ;D.....thats a point ray, i think filey is as south as i have fished .... :eek:...pne day i will have a mooch down that neck of the woods ,it looks nice and scenic if nowt else , and when i do venture im sure youl know about it , i,ll be fishing ure knowledge then catching ure fish :D

11. simon22

simon22 Rockling

Hi ray with my plugs the first thing i do is take off the middle treble if it has one...the next thing i do is attach weak link devices like the ones used for pirks over wreaks i have found them i three sizes they come i packs of twelve and r cheep as chips mate think veals have some. Lost treble not lure

12. Ramsrod

Ramsrod Rockling

Cheers Simon, good idea mate. :)

13. Dav

Dav Rockling

The bad thing about removing the middle trebble is bass normally attack there prey from the side .meaning removing that hook will reduce ure odds,, alot of the bass ive had on plugs have fallen to the middle trebble....but i do supose it will reduce ure snagging capacity also ......the trick is to use the correct plug for the job.....shallow water use surface lures and extra shallow lures....and so on ...