1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWIMFEEDERS IS THERE A PLACE FOR THEM IN SEA ANGLING

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by big cliff, Dec 23, 2009.

1. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

Before you dismiss the idea out of hand , would it be such a bad idea ---- it might be a feeder or sponge/ felt soacked in whatever
    floats your boat , and why not ? a friend of mine fished the summer league matches and did rather well , he used a feeder packed
    it with maddies / mackerel / blueys so hes convinced it helps , so whats your views ?

2. Dav

Dav Rockling

I can imagine it would certainly help with the scent and getting smaller fish into a feeding frenzy and competing for food Al. especially scratching off beaches ....Im not so sure about cod fishing tho , imagine the weight of your set up .....7oz sinker , 7 oz bait and another load of weight in your feeder .viable ?.....if i was to fill the feeder full of cart ide wanna be sticking 2 6/0 `s on it..... :cheesy: :cheesy:

3. Mick Dunn

Mick Dunn Blenny

Interesting - i don,t see why not. We have the de-vice for putting out fragile baits.

4. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

maybe just put it in some mesh or similar ?

5. trentotter

trentotter Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

rob who won the uptide festival would have probebly been using a feeder.they fill them with bran and soak it in fish oil.dont know if it does work but them lads dont do too bad by using them

6. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

Go for it mate nothing ventured nothing gained good luck!

7. willybendit

willybendit Rockling

Hi Big Cliff what i use is a carp (spodding rocket) you might of seen them in the tackle shop just fill them up with whatever bait you want or you can make one out of a bit of drainpipe plug one end up with freshwater ground bait mix then put your bait in then plug up and fire it out brill for thornback ray fishing off a boat tight llines Alain

8. Sambo

Sambo To the MAX!

I used swimfeeders to good effect for Whiting off the beaches a few year ago, just filled the feeder with mashed up whitebait :yes:

9. boilerhole

boilerhole New Member

10. BOOMSTICK

BOOMSTICK Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Iv spoke about this to some 1 not so long back can see it been great on clean beachs but on the rocks its just some thing extra to get in to snags

11. cobra

cobra NIL TAURUS EXCRETUM

About 15 years ago i started to use a type of feeder for boat fishing and short range shore fishing in ireland and the results were unbelievable. The catch rate when using the feeders went through the roof wether it be dogfish/rays/ bullhuss/cod /ling. all bottom feeding species seemed to respond to the improved sent trail which would stand to reason. I make the feeders from 35mm film canisters and drill holes in the side and bottom to let the mix i make escape then put the feeder between the flowing trace boom and the lead weight ( i will take some photos and send them to glen as i don't know how to upload them :embarrass: ). This method is well worth a try i make a type of ground bait using bran/fishmeal and fish oil. I mix the bran and fishmeal with the oil in a bucket and if you keep the mix covered with fish oil it keeps for ages don't put too much fishmeal in as it sets like concrete and won't come out of the feeders then you just fill the feeders as you are fishing. The only draw back is that the oil could prove expensive as you will need a fair amount if anyone can't get hold of fish oil i may be able to sort a bit out for them with any luck :wink:.

12. andycodsnob

andycodsnob New Member

Lets face it Al, if you had unlimited crab up Arbroath in the summer and were either fishing the 5yd shot or using a carp rod 10-20yds out on others like i have, you would throw a bit of groundbait in wouldn't you?
    Nice thought provoking "Out of the box" and i for one think in certain areas it would definitely work :yes: :yes: :yes:

13. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Could maybe be useful, but how would anyone suggest attaching it to prevent it cracking off the rig when giving your cast some welly off the beach?

14. big cliff

big cliff Rockling

if you could get some small container like a film container or similar if you put a hole in the bottom of it and one the lid you clould mount it just above the sinker , put a small bead on your line and a stop knot above it , just a thought

15. ShArK

ShArK Blenny

NEW - Sea Scent
    http://www.moonfleet-angling.com/moonfleet_accessories.html

I have had some of these sent to try
    they are quite bulky but if it will cast far enough then i cant see why it should not work,the cage is very strong plastic i was thinking of stuffing it full of cart or cut up macky/sprat`s mixed,
    every time i look at them they remind me of some old lass hair roller`s (lol)
    Dont know when ill get to try them.

Any one think they`ll come back if i used em back of the brigg

sharkwithcurlyhairrollers

16. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

They certainly look the part,i'd be temted to try them off piers & harbour walls to be honest there's no reason why they shouldn't work if they'r half as succesful as the ones used in course fishing someone is about to make a few bob(just wish it was me) lol !

17. Slim Jim

Slim Jim Blenny

Often thought about putting a rubber dubby type bag out at low water and casting to it . Never tried it though. You would think it would attract fish to your area !!

18. Supersonic

Supersonic Whitby Bass Club

Good idea big cliff, might try it at some point!

19. Lobbers

Lobbers phwwore i love gwen stefani me like

used swimm feeders in the saltburn club for eels and flounders, had fish but they just became a pain in the arse, dont need swim feeders when fishing for cod , my big baits have enough scent to feed the swim :cheesy:

20. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

I was thinking about the use of swim feeders for cod fishing and even uptiding but I just end up thinking that the bait would be better off on your hook rather than in a feeder.