1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supermarket Sweep

Discussion in 'Sea Fishing Forum - Shore, Boat & Kayak Fishing' started by ijakk, Aug 23, 2010.

1. ijakk

ijakk Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi all, just imagine a world with no live baits for a moment and your only option is what is available on the fish board at the local super market or fishmongers, what would be your top buys???

Cheers

Rich

2. brian carragher

brian carragher Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

Hi Rich

Don't use bait so can't comment as I use artificials all the time

(Will give you a bell to sort out a trip sometime when conditions are a little better)

3. ingoe1

ingoe1 Rockling

Probably squid and macky plus herring(all we fished with off saltburn as kids)

4. Baramundi Bob

Baramundi Bob Super Leeds United !!!

Dont think id bother. Maybe a bit of mussel, and a freesh tuna steak for me tea

5. ijakk

Yes I thought the same surely the supposed fresh fish counter at morrisons would be a dead loss but in truth a bit of rancid macky has caught me quite a few fish of late nowt special but I'm a beginner in this sea fishing lark and after many years coarse fishing, most things fish like caught from the sea are quite a novelty too me. Living well in land, with fuel prices the way they are and not being a wealth man, getting bait can be a pain if you want a quick session at some ungodly hour, so often the supermarket is the only option

6. ijakk

Alright brian good to hear from you mate, speak to you soon, looks like some rough stuff on the way

7. Groyne

Groyne Guest

Yup a Herring from Mac Fisheries on the way to the station, but as you say, squid and macky now.

8. Piscator

Piscator Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

A couple of weeks ago I managed a couple of Mackerel from West - a Wednesday evening with a big breeze. Four hours later, those fish still had a bit of green on their backs. Go to Morrison's a 4 0' clock and you'll find grey Mackerel. I tried one once down at the Gare and it ran through my fingers like pate!

Alternatively, you could take the assistant's name badge and attach an appropriately sized treble...

Steve.

9. quint

quint Watch out Emperor Zorg's about

If your serious about your sea angling you need to put bait at the top of your priority list - living inland is hard but get yourself a freezer and stock up with some cart baits and mussel - then you will have very good bait ready to go anytime

Cart is the meat from edible crabs that is frozen down into bait sized portions, if you do a "cart" search on here you will get a wealth of information - most of the rock lads will be doing this in the coming weeks as the crabs are in their peak

Save the supermarket for them lovely roast chickens and cheap John Smiths (if you want pies be there early otherwise the Duck man will clean them out)

10. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Iain your statting to get on my wick. Oh yes I like pies but you like men I don't go about you been a gay. You are a good angler yes. Bit your getting big headed and a gobby sod.

Any way fresh mussle is always about.

11. ijakk

Many thanks chaps, I bought some cart bait off onlinebaits a while back after reading info on here about it, think I got 3 sausages about 6 inch long for £3. Only trouble was when I decided to use it I defrosted it first and ended up with 3 empty skins and a bag full off orange mush. I assume your supposed to tie them on frozen and let them defrost in the sea ???

Cheers

Rich

12. ducky

ducky maybe one day...

Yes put cart on frozen. And as you said let the sea defrost it.

13. ijakk

Cheers mate, would you also wrap it in finger bandage like some people do on here??

14. foo

foo You've gotta be in it to win it.

Dont understand why Morrisons fish counter gets such a bad press. I have had some lovelly squid from there in the past

15. crabsnsnags

crabsnsnags New Member

macky, herring, king prawns, even caught on seafood cocktail.

16. ijakk

I suppose it depends what day they get there stock, last macky I had from there was hummin when I cut it open. :sad:

17. DiscoMick

DiscoMick Eat Fishing, Sleep Fishing, Drink BEER

What was it hummin?a bit of sole, or maybe mack the knife :cheesy: :tease:

18. ijakk

:tease: cod save the queen from the Never Mind the Pollocks album

19. fishermanbob

fishermanbob Whitby Fishing Forum _ Simply The Best

I dont bother with the supermarkets for my bait i go to wards on parliment road in middlesbrough he got all you need cart ,mussells,razor fish,squid,mackie,ect as for the fish he sells its 2nd to none it all fresh as well unlike some places i have seen it in.

20. ijakk

Cheers for that mate I live in Darlington, middlesbourgh is a lot easier and cheaper to get to than hartlepool. I don't suppose they do rag and lug too??